website help

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
folks, i really need help with this one. neither sarty nor i have any experience with html or whatever, we need somebody to set up a site for us. we have the webspace and the address, but we need somebody to do it.
if you can spare the time, pls contact me

Don't all webspace providers have ready-made templates? I know they did when I learned how to make web pages in 1996, so I don't know why they wouldn't now. You can just start with any other page and modify the text and code to fit your needs. If you can mod a game, you can surely figure that out. Going through a third party every time you want to tweak your website gets really annoying.

i know a lot of mods who have an extra person for that. also, we're being hosted by the same guys we have the forum at, and i don't think they have a template.
i'd have to learn all about this from scratch, and i'd rather spend the time on learning how to script missions;)

Chevieblazer said:
i know a lot of mods who have an extra person for that. also, we're being hosted by the same guys we have the forum at, and i don't think they have a template.
i'd have to learn all about this from scratch, and i'd rather spend the time on learning how to script missions;)

If a hundred million ditzy middle schoolers and alcoholic teenagers can make a website, so can you.

Maybe you should gather a team so that one could work on the website while you are working on the models or your degree.
Doing many different things at onces while all these things demand high quality and intensive work will only make you loose on of the projects.

sure and i bet it's a lot more fun.
I'm also searching for a webdesigner for quite some time, but nobody seems to be interested. That's sad but maybe only a matter of time :)

Luckly Tolwyn knows a little bit about the coding part and I made the design for our site...and I think I don't ever want to do that again ^_^

Have you ever tried to get in contect with some of the various people in the net that are building pages as examples/demos to get a job?
Maybe their you will find someone interested in doing a page for you..their where also a number of forums about that topic...just google a little.

I still hope someone comes along the way and says "Hey John, let me build you a new Priv site. Sure i'll maintain it as well." Our current site is small and easy to update so it's not a big problem for me to do it. Btw. what about the Wingcenter, it's still offline. Do you know anything about it Lars?

WingCenter is still offline.
I have asked the persons in charge but didn't get an answere. Still hope that it will come back.
As far as I know they where more or less forced to search for a new host...nothing more is known to me.
There where also a test-forum running but it has been also taken offline.

PS: I won't ever think that someone comming around would ever happen ^_^
Getting someone to be more involved in the team might be a good way or you let someone else to do the page and make sure he explains you how do maintain the site when he is not around.

I think only a priv-fan can create and maintain our site in a way that would suit us. Those people usually volunteer. We'll see. It's not that urgent.

I always thought you saga people are running the wingcenter as well.
Btw. Is there actually a reason why the wcu vegastrike crew is not working closer together with the saga team? I have the feeling the whole community constantly reinvents the wheel :)

The WingCenter isn't run by us...its just that a good number of people from the team are over their and help and post a lot.

About the working together part....we are working together with another mod so its not a complete reinventing ^_^
I think the main reason why the different mods aren't working together more closely is the differance in the game-engine and topic.
Standoff has a WC2 theme, Privateer XY as the name suggest have Privateer in mind, Pioneer is even out of known facts and we are set in WC3...so their are little things these mods have in common I think....except of beeing all for WC in a different timeline or place.

What i've seen wcu is heading for the wc3/4 ship design, but i really can't tell for sure. Hmm we're currently messing up the thread, sorry Chevieblazer, i hope you find help ;)

John Cordell said:
I think only a priv-fan can create and maintain our site in a way that would suit us. Those people usually volunteer. We'll see. It's not that urgent.
You won't, however, get anybody coming to you out of the blue, because nobody actually knows you're looking for any help in that area. Announcing the fact that you're looking for help might possibly produce some results, however :p.

I always thought you saga people are running the wingcenter as well.
Btw. Is there actually a reason why the wcu vegastrike crew is not working closer together with the saga team? I have the feeling the whole community constantly reinvents the wheel :)
I don't know about the Saga team, but I can certainly tell you how I'd react if you suggested this kind of thing to the Standoff team. More specifically, I have a knee-jerk "fuck off and die" reaction to such requests. Why? Because in the past, I've heard such suggestions aimed at Unknown Enemy and Standoff a few times - that we should work together with some other project, because why re-invent the wheel? The trouble was that in each case, the suggestion was put forward by a member of that project, and in each case, the projects in question were poorly managed and poorly thought-out. So, in my mind, the suggestion to get together to stop re-inventing the wheel is inevitably associated with a lousy project trying to turn itself around by destroying a succesful project and taking its staff.

That's just me, of course. Saga's view on such proposals might be different - but I doubt it. We all work together and help each other out in small ways, but there's simply no point in two projects working together on a closer level. And this is not only because of what I said above, but also what Lars said - the fact is, we all have different goals, and if two project teams were to work too closely together, the result would be that one of the projects would have to sacrifice some of its goals.

(in fact, wasn't Saga once upon a time two different projects working together?)

Back