WCP FOG

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
Hey, i was wondering, what does the FOG option in WCP do? I just ordered a Voodoo 3 and I wanted to know if I should of just stuck it out.

DISPLAY FOG.....this is why says FOG... you can expect to see FOG in the space.... only in ·3DFX* (RIP)

I'm not sure -- I believe it's a way to mask the disappearance of models when you move away from them.

Yhea fog bet than the five feet away and the midway dissapers idea at lesat with fog its smother.
Good choice the voodoo 3 but why not go for voodoo 5??

I thought it was just that the Midway simply fades away when you get further than about 60000 klicks, instead of having look like it's travelling through a black curtain.

I don't know if it is related to this fog, but when I played Prophecy for the first time with my voodoo1, there was some kind of pink fog, when flying in a nebula. That was beautiful (I find), but because of the limited visibility it was harder to fly.
Now I use D3D, and there no fog anymore in the Nebula.

I must have my settings wrong or something, cause I get the nebulas but no *fog*. Gotta look into that!

RFB
(yep, my vid card is a 3dfx card)

The backgrounds are the "textured space" option, which I think is permanently enabled when you play in Glide mode.

Yep, I dont recall a "fog" enable option, so I am a bit confused by this fog thing. Im interpreting it as fog like in WCIII and WCIV, where the view is *fogged* out.

RFB

yeah, but from what I understand, the FOG option increases upon the TEXTURED SPACE option by adding some internal fog?

Tell a lie - it's 'Colored Light' and 'Transparency' that you can't turn off in hardware accelerated modes. 'Lens Flare' and 'Fog' are unnavailable in D3D, although IIRC you can get a patch that enables one of them. In Glide 3Dfx, of course, you get them all - that includes your Voodoo3 Mav. :)

Ahhh... I remember getting my Voodoo2 and going from Software to Glide mode. Wow. It's the only reason I keep the card in my machine these days.

does the lens flare look different in 3dfx then in D3D? I played Secret Ops and it has the option for lens flare in D3D, but I turned it off because it looked so horrible. There were big target lines through mine or something like that. I hope it looks better in 3dfx...

I don't think there's any difference between the D3D and Glide flares. I was always disappointed with them in Prophecy since the ones in P2 were way cooler, even though it's an older game.

When I took screenshots with lensflares in SO, I always took the time to make them look circular - ie remove the surrounding lines.

I taket them off period, they are too big, and they are too ugly for my tastes. It doesn't really add much to the spectacle of space anyway, when you're trying to blow up some big bad bugs about to kill all the human race and you can't fight anymore because you're blinded by Proxima's binary suns :)

Back