Wcdx - Kilrathi Saga for modern Windows

You can try wcdx, but I know of at least one crash bug that won't be uncommon. It's certainly not anywhere near what I'd consider ready for general release.

I'm a ways into Wing Commander 2 using the alpha WCDX patch. So far so good. The speed during most of the cut scenes is far too fast, so it's a bit of a challenge to read what people are saying, but the gameplay is solid as a rock. The speed also blazes during death animations and menus. I suspect that while the gameplay portion is frame limited, the rest of it just plows through at full speed. I'm not sure if there's any potential fix for this, no matter how hard anyone tries. Sadly, there's no DosBox equivalent for old windows 95 games as far as I know. I tried running the unpatched version through XP mode with no luck. Ah well. It's very playable, and gameplay wise still preferable to the DosBox version in terms of the consistency of speed during battles. I've also noticed that wingmen have a tendency to repeat themselves ad nauseam during missions, which can get quite annoying.

edit: Just beat Wing Commander 2 wcdx. Very playable. Only crashed completely once, as far as I can recall. Problem now is I can't seem to run wcpatch for SO1.exe or SO2.exe. It doesn't produce any files. Is there any way to play the special ops with this patch?

Last edited:
I know this may not be the right forum for this, but Stinger, considering you've dug into the files I figured I would ask. Is there a savegame utility that works with the KSaga version of WC1 and WC2? I frequently like to have my player do the "losing" path missions in both because they are more fun. I know you can set your player to any series with the transfer program but it "destroys" your save in the process - you go back to being a 2Lt with no ribbons or medals. I saw that "savegame.wld" isn't a file anymore with the KSAGA WC1 Gamedat so my idea of doing the editing with dosbox and then dropping the modified save game file in won't work either.

I saw that "savegame.wld" isn't a file anymore with the KSAGA WC1 Gamedat so my idea of doing the editing with dosbox and then dropping the modified save game file in won't work either.

Savegame.wld has been moved into your Saved Games folder (in your user directory).

Not yet. I know I keep saying this, but my job has been keeping me very busy. I typically get back from work somewhere after 9:00 (tonight, 11:00). At that point, I'm usually looking to wind down rather than tackle another programming project. Right now, any free time I do have for coding needs to go towards committee proposals.

In the last month, I spent one week in Toronto for the ISO C++ committee meeting; after that, I had a week to prepare and execute a move to a new apartment; and then I spent the next week in Korea for the StarCraft launch. SC:R goes live around the world on Monday. Throughout, we've been working like crazy to get patches out as quickly as possible, and you can bet those patches will keep coming after Monday.

So... yeah. I really do want to get back to this project, but the amount of work involved is not small and it just can't be at the top of my list right now. Thank you for the encouragement, though; I really am glad to see people enjoying wcdx! Good hunting!

Okay - new issue. I've attempted to run wcpatch with Wing2.exe and it won't create any new files. I tested it again with Wing1 and it worked just fine. Am I missing something?

I'd have to check, but you're probably running it on the wrong executable. wcpatch compares the file's hash against a list of known hashes so that it can apply the correct patch. Wing2.exe might be the launcher; try wc2.exe instead. (I can't remember which is which.)

I've tried both, including the WC2.exe that comes with the SO1/SO2 download. Is there a separate wcpatch or is it the same one for WC1? The wcdx dll is also in the main folder with the executables and I placed all the .exes in that folder while overwriting everything in gamedat with the SO1/2 files when applicable.

Last edited:
Okay last question - I've got WC2 up and running but it still asks me for the disc when I start the game. I can click "continue" and everything works fine but it keeps asking for the disc everytime you change a stream. I copied over the streams from the disc into the streams folder but it didn't have any effect.

Okay last question - I've got WC2 up and running but it still asks me for the disc when I start the game. I can click "continue" and everything works fine but it keeps asking for the disc everytime you change a stream. I copied over the streams from the disc into the streams folder but it didn't have any effect.
Interesting; I don't think I ever saw that, but at this point it was so long ago that I may have just forgotten. I'd have to dig back into the disassembly to answer that one. Maybe your directory layout isn't quite right? Maybe you have one of the discs in the drive (or mounted or whatever) and the game is seeing that in a scan? I'm not sure. This is happening when transitioning between flight and gameflow?

It happens when I first start the game and then whenever transitioning from different streams. It doesn't happen if I have the disc in the drive (and interestingly doesn't seem to be reading from the disc either).

Hello Stinger!

After a break I came back to check on this Forum and I see there's not been much progress. I am sure your work keeps you extremely busy and time to dedicate to wcdx must be very close to nothing.

Please keep this project alive! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement! Your estimate is not far off. I haven't forgotten the project, but I also haven't spent any time on it for much longer than I'd care to admit. I do have competing obligations, and it's hard to work around that, but the larger problem is simply that I've fallen out of the habit. Maybe I can fall back into it...

Being a modest modder myself, I can sympathize.

Falling out of habit is extremely easy and for me resuming comes at great cost. I still hope you can find motivation to go further with wcdx since it is the greatest thing that a WC fan can hope for and an absolute necessity.

Best of luck!

This is a great mod, thank you for all your hard work! Apologies if this has already been answered and I missed it, but is there a way to use a gamepad with the mod to get analog flight control? I suck with keys! Thank you again for a great piece of work! :)

Back