WC4 Ships

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

And where *are* these sheds? Your personal version of the Confederation class dreadnought seems mighty different from the real thing -- the Concordia CVS-65 had flight decks that were open to space. The two flight decks, as we also see in WC2, open into a single hangar. Where's the interconnecting tube? Where are the Lances being hidden?

They were open to space? I always thought there was a force-curtain holding out the vacuum.

And yet they didn't! Sometimes it's just that easy.

The novel was based on the twin-flight decked WC2 Concordia, not the WC4 one. It was simply an error. The WC4 Concordia only had a single flight deck.

But that's what I said -- there's a tube that leads from the hangars on the port side to the hangars on the starboard side. This would seem to be a necessesity in a carrier with two hangar bays, as you can't have techs scrambling across the runway. The Lances were below decks (down the elevators).

The fighting occured ON THE FLIGHT DECK, not below decks. It was said that a black-suited individual ran through the interconnecting tunnel to the right-bay. On the WC4 Lexington, there is no interconnecting tunnel above-decks. The fight seemed to occur on the flight-deck. The Lexington's Flight deck is one smooth flat-surface. The WC2-Concordia on the other hand DID have two flight decks.

After the fight was over, Blair was below decks where they found the Lances.

This is circular logic: you're claiming that the Princeton is a Confed class ship because it has a tube... and we know that Confed class ships have tubes because the Princeton has one! Does not compute.

No, I'm saying that they said that the Lexington is the same class ship as the Concordia-- which was a Confed-Class ship. Since they said the Princeton was the same type of ship, that would mean they are the same.

Both Concordia-65 (WC2) and Princeton both had the interconnecting tunnel. Logical considering they're the same.

We *see* the innards of the Concordia CVS-65 in that very scene (and in many others), though. The two flight decks lead to a single central repair area, with individual hangars in the back of the ship. The bomb was in the repair area, which connects to both flight decks.

I don't remember that part actually. Man that was a nasty explosion though.

The ship has *two* flight decks because the novel says so. Simple.

The WC4 Lexington (and Princeton) does not. So which one is it? In this case, I'd have to take the game over the Novel.

No you weren't. You only *know* that the Wc2 Concordia model was considered *BECAUSE I TOLD YOU SO*.

So because you told me so, doesn't mean I can't use it to make a point? I figured that's why you told us all stuff, so we could learn from it? Why give out trivia and tidbits if you figure no one's going to listen?

Text document, probably... as there's no WC history that talks about the three Concordias.

Okay

I have, though, had some input on various products... (False Colors, movie novels and WCP:GBA mostly).

What's WCP:GBA?

What do you mean input? Like they ask you what you want to see? Or are you more of a technical advisor?

System Shock was... 1994. Only the CD version has the mini-game. It's basically just a cheap little shooter thing with some dialogue looped from WC2.

Okay.

So, in your world when several things aren't green NOTHING CAN BE GREEN AT ALL? What you hear is the sound of my mind boggling.

No, I'm saying the WC1 and WC2 fighters looked silly in Green. But there are some things that look good in Green. My point was that most of the WC3 and WC4 fighters were not painted green. The ones that were painted colors were usually not ENTIRELY one color. The exception is the Banshee, but it looked good in it's color. Also the Dragon, but black is more reasonable because it's a dark color. Dark muted colors look more realistic.

Of course, they're different classes of ships.

I know

Nor is there any requirement that warbirds be *pretty*.

True, but for scifi-sake, it's a good idea. Or at least if they're not pretty, it's a good idea to make a couple of running jokes about them. Granted Maniac did say that the rapiers looked like they were shot to hell.

The WCP ships are all nice and rounded -- the WCIII and WCIV ships are entirely made up of straight lines. And they're weird looking -- they have rotating pods and what-not. From a 3D design standpoint, they're much more similar to the WC1/2 ships.

But the Capships are more like WC3 and WC4 ones.

That is predominantly the thing I wanted to make into WC3-style 3D. The capships.

-Concordia

They were open to space? I always thought there was a force-curtain holding out the vacuum.

I think you're mis-remembering the WC2 Concordia. It had two long external runways which lead into a *single* open hangar. Horrid ASCII representation to follow:
___
==RUNWAY===| |
| |
==RUNWAY===|___|

The novel was based on the twin-flight decked WC2 Concordia, not the WC4 one. It was simply an error. The WC4 Concordia only had a single flight deck.

No, it had *two*. One on each side. The novel says this. The novel is based on WC4, not some sort of magical fan theory.

The fighting occured ON THE FLIGHT DECK, not below decks. It was said that a black-suited individual ran through the interconnecting tunnel to the right-bay. On the WC4 Lexington, there is no interconnecting tunnel above-decks. The fight seemed to occur on the flight-deck. The Lexington's Flight deck is one smooth flat-surface. The WC2-Concordia on the other hand DID have two flight decks.

After the fight was over, Blair was below decks where they found the Lances.

There *must* be an interconnecting tunnel, because people have to be able to get from one flight deck to another. The WC2 Concordia, on the other hand *DID NOT HAVE TWO SEPARATE HANGARS*.

No, I'm saying that they said that the Lexington is the same class ship as the Concordia-- which was a Confed-Class ship. Since they said the Princeton was the same type of ship, that would mean they are the same.

Both Concordia-65 (WC2) and Princeton both had the interconnecting tunnel. Logical considering they're the same.

But the Concordia-65 *didn't* have an interconnecting tunnel. You made that fact up. It has no basis in reality. You can't use it to prove a point. And it's *not* the same class of ship as the Princeton. We *see* the Princeton in WC4 -- it's a Concordia class carrier.

The WC4 Lexington (and Princeton) does not. So which one is it? In this case, I'd have to take the game over the Novel.

They're the *SAME*.

So because you told me so, doesn't mean I can't use it to make a point? I figured that's why you told us all stuff, so we could learn from it? Why give out trivia and tidbits if you figure no one's going to listen?

It has no basis in WC-reality, though. "But I believe the author thought this!" isn't proof of anything.

What's WCP:GBA?

What do you mean input? Like they ask you what you want to see? Or are you more of a technical advisor?

Prophecy for the Gameboy.

I corrected various facts (several names were wrong!) in False Colors and answered lots of technical questions for the movie novels.

No, I'm saying the WC1 and WC2 fighters looked silly in Green. But there are some things that look good in Green. My point was that most of the WC3 and WC4 fighters were not painted green. The ones that were painted colors were usually not ENTIRELY one color. The exception is the Banshee, but it looked good in it's color. Also the Dragon, but black is more reasonable because it's a dark color. Dark muted colors look more realistic.

Whether or not some guy at a message board thinks something LOOKS SILLY isn't really much of an influence on the design of military hardware. Green ships are green for a reason.

Personally, I thought that turning the ships silver at the end of the war was a great nod to WW2 -- when the allies stopped painting their fighters and bombers to get them into service as quickly as possible.

But it's not *pretty* so it can't be *true*! Woo!

But the Capships are more like WC3 and WC4 ones.

That is predominantly the thing I wanted to make into WC3-style 3D. The capships.

Of course, actually doing this instead of constantly talking about it might help your case...

concordia.jpg

I like that I have nothing better to do at work. This is how the ship in WCIV/the WCIV novel (they're related!!!!) works.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Front: Bow!

Back: Stern!

Get it right, squirt, or I'll throw you out that little round window on the side!"

Some guy in some movie.:D

Nice drawing LOAF :) The tail would be the bridge, I suppose

Ripper: Read LOAF´s advice in your closed thread over, over and over again, or just stick that fork.

I think they generally say 'fore' and 'aft' in Wing Commander... 'fore shields' and 'aft shields' and such.

I know the fore and aft thing.

The quote is from JAWS, I just happen to think it's a very funny one.

I meant no offense to LOAF, and I guess he didn't take any since I'm still here.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Regardless, TC and I did an excellent study of Confed carrier production, which I'd be happy to find when I get home... I believe the estimate was that Confed had nine carriers in service when the war ended.

Hey LOAF, I could use some light on that suject myself... do you have any clue which, if any, Bengals were still around after the end of the war, or at least until the false truce started?

Originally posted by Concordia
If Eder could change ONE thing about his WC: Standoff thing, would be to make the Krant look like the WC1 version! :D

Quarto's right. Standoff's Krant will look like the WC1 version... You must be imagining things ;)

--Eder

hehehe, I'd suggest that fan projects may wish to scrap the wc1 pc ships altogether. IMHO the Super wing commander ships look much more like WC 3/4 ships. WC2 is always going to be a pain, so good luck to whoever can make that come out nicely.

You are, of course, free to suggest anything you like. I doubt you'll find many people to agree with you, though. WC1 and 2 ships are amongst the best WC designs ever. And as LOAF has pointed out, there is really no reason why they should look like WC3/4 ships. There aren't all too many jet-powered biplanes out there, you know.

Originally posted by Darkmage
hehehe, I'd suggest that fan projects may wish to scrap the wc1 pc ships altogether. IMHO the Super wing commander ships look much more like WC 3/4 ships. WC2 is always going to be a pain, so good luck to whoever can make that come out nicely.

Origin managed it rather well.

(And how utterly queer that you complain about WC2's ships after praising those in SWC as being 'WC3/4 like'... given that th SWC models are almost all retextured WC2 ships...)

Hey LOAF, I could use some light on that suject myself... do you have any clue which, if any, Bengals were still around after the end of the war, or at least until the false truce started?

No, I don't know which -- we saw Wolfhound two years before the war ended, but that was the last reference to the Bengal.

Originally posted by Quarto
What makes you think Eder's Krant looks like the SWC Krant?
This and this. While we're speaking of Krants, I like Sadic's rendition of it. Wonder what happened to his project?

Originally posted by Hoops
We see two runways on the Confederation-class, but they never really say that there are two flight decks or show them.
I think this comes quite close. It looks nice, in any case.

Originally posted by Eder
Quarto's right. Standoff's Krant will look like the WC1 version... You must be imagining things.
If this is a joke... I don't understand... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Wedge009
If this is a joke... I don't understand... :(
Well, I'm sure one day you'll understand ;).

As for Sadic, he seems to have disappeared. However, I don't think he wanted to convert the models he made to WCP in the first place - IIRC, he wanted to use them in a 3d movie.

I think this comes quite close. It looks nice, in any case.

That's a good shot of it... the two runways come back into the ship and have that single hangar block in the center of them.

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, I'm sure one day you'll understand ;).

The funny thing is that - now that I've put that progress page on the site - anyone who looks carefully enough can understand it already.

--Eder

Back