WC4 official guide

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Greetings!
Again I have questions about sth I was unable to lay my hands on: The WC4 Official Guide. I own 2 unofficial guides which are not too bad, but not their money worth. So is this official guide good? Does it have correct stats about the WC4 fighters and guns? More precise than: "Damage: Low to Moderate; Range: Medium" or "Moderately Low Mass" and not such crap as "Razor: Light pirate fighter: 10 missiles, 2 laser, 2 ion".
Any experiences will be appreciated. Thanks.

There are so much inconsistancies between official documents and non-official stuff its hard to say which is right or not. Someone should take all that stuff and compile a brand new publication with all the corrections and latest data. I suggested this in another thread. It would be one heck of a project, but it would solve all the errors and questions regarding ship specs, timeline, dates, and all the other stuff that seems to conflict between one document vs another.

RFBurns

So if you say it has full stats on all fighters and capships, have they the correct stats? E.g. The Razor has 3 Laser cannons as is seen in the game or does it state that Razor has 2Laser, 2Ions?

And RFBurns, principally I like your idea very much, but I do no think that it would be possible to find someone who is willing to do this. And even if someone can be found: Which source should he take as correct and which one as false? You can be sure that if he chooses one source that there will be people who will oppose to his decision.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
So if you say it has full stats on all fighters and capships, have they the correct stats? E.g. The Razor has 3 Laser cannons as is seen in the game or does it state that Razor has 2Laser, 2Ions?

And RFBurns, principally I like your idea very much, but I do no think that it would be possible to find someone who is willing to do this. And even if someone can be found: Which source should he take as correct and which one as false? You can be sure that if he chooses one source that there will be people who will oppose to his decision.

I think if the game shows a particular ship with one set of weapons, but printed material says it actually has something else, I would go with the game since you can actually see what it does have. So if the Razor in the game sports 3 laser guns and you actually see 3 fire off in the game, but some printed manual says otherwise, its obvious which one would be correct for that time period by refering to the game. If the printed material says otherwise, say they updated the Razor with the added guns, obviously that Razor craft with the other loadout the printed material talks about is happening at some other time than the game where we see the craft with the 3 laser guns. Those differences could be worked out, but I think in order to do all that, the first step would be to correct the timeline gaps and take notes in all the WC games about every ship, capship etc on both sides, then place those specs correctly in the timeline while keeping the games positioned correctly along the timeline as well. One example of this is the Hellcat in WCIII vs the Hellcat in WCIV. There are weapon differences and of course, different time between the two games. So by using just the games themselves, we see they took that Hellcat, same ship in both games, and updated it in WCIV with different guns. There may have been updates in engines and shields etc also. Keeping these suttle changes in their correct points along the timeline would probably be the best way to line all this stuff up and solve alot of the issues with specs etc. We even see old Kilrathi ships in WCP. Those old things were flying in WC3!. Obviously the Kilrathi upgraded those old ships with newer weapons, shields and engines, probably even uprated flight performance as well. I do believe by correcting the timeline first, it would probably be easier to correct everything else.

RFBurns

Originally posted by RFBurns
There are so much inconsistancies between official documents and non-official stuff its hard to say which is right or not.
Of course it's not hard to say... the official stuff is right, and no official stuff is CRAP!<G>

The guide doesn't really have capship stats, and the Razor has 2 lasers and 2 ions...

Well hopefully the "Official" matches up to what we see in the games. The word "Official" can be plastered in front of anything, but doesnt necessarily make it correct. If it were, there wouldnt be all this debate and question about it. I dont have enough material to say either way, but going by what I read on the various threads, obviously there is a flaw, regardless if it is declared "Official" or not! :)

RFBurns

I do not get it! Why do they print such non-sense? Almost as bad as the Armada manual. Was that manual already in print when they made changes to the game or what?

I think if someone took the time and paitence a whole new guide to the WC universe could be compiled that would put to rest alot of the confusion with all the printed stuff. But maybe there is too much of it out there that it would be way to overwhelming for just one or two people to do it. The need is there for it tho!

RFBurns

What non-sense? People aren't actually complaining about a specific guide... they're just complaining about the fact that if a guide were that way they'd be able to complain...

What do you think LOAF is trying to do with the encyclopaedia? Or is he doing anything at all? These things are not really worth doing, even for the most dedicated WC fan, and even if one attempted it, there'd still be inconsistencies in opinions...

eg
Originally posted by RFBurns
I think if the game shows a particular ship with one set of weapons, but printed material says it actually has something else, I would go with the game...

Already, you've got several inconsistencies. The Midway supposedly has ion cannons, though we don't see them. The Concordia didn't have the 'right' number of AMGs. The SO Vesuvius carriers has 14 dual turrets, whereas in the novels they have "scores". Which to trust?

BTW LOAF, what is it that you do during the day? Aside from WC stuff?

A lot of people probably don't realize how huge of a project it is to make a WC encyclopedia... I'm suprised LOAF didn't give up on that project.:) Especially with all the educating he has done on these boards.<G>

Originally posted by Wedge009
there'd still be inconsistencies in opinions...
But only the idiots would think that.:)

Already, you've got several inconsistencies. The Midway supposedly has ion cannons, though we don't see them.
How is that an inconsistency?<G> Remember the old rule, jus' cause we ain't seen it, don't mean it ain't the' maty!

Outside of WC, LOAF enjoys delicious cinamon cookies in his free time, produced by the many slaves of the LMG...

Originally posted by Earthworm
A lot of people probably don't realise how huge of a project it is to make a WC encyclopaedia...

Exactly.

I'm suprised LOAF didn't give up on that project.:) Especially with all the educating he has done on these boards.

He hasn't? Cool.

How is that an inconsistency? Remember the old rule, jus' cause we ain't seen it, don't mean it ain't the' matey!

I know that, I was just responding to Burns' suggestion.

Outside of WC, LOAF enjoys delicious cinamon cookies in his free time, produced by the many slaves of the LMG...

Ah so that's what you LMGers are suckered into. Thanks for the free info.

The encyclopedia is still in the works... I've been seriously talking to people about doing a print version. Expect to hear more soon!

There's an outside of WC? I'm a biology major at the University of Texas (although I'm back in Maryland this semester because of the eye surgery). Uhm, but aside from that, I have fantastic adventures... and hang out with Joe Garrity a lot. I'm generally an all-around sci-fi geek... uhm... I read a lot... and collect Poliwhirls... and watch seaQuest tapes... aaaand... hmmm... here, some random LOAFicana!

http://www.geocities.com/loaf_art

Oh wow! You're a champ, erm... LOAF. And please don't think I'm asking too much, but did you manage to find the 'original' WCP script?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...and collect Poliwhirls...

Please tell more you're joking...

No, I really do. There's a long sappy story behind why. TC can find it in The Book for you, probably.

As for the script -- I've found someone willing to make a copy... but I'll have to fly out and get it, make lots of photocopies and scan it in.

The story is pretty sappy... I don't think I care enough to look it up in the book though. As I remember it, the love of poliwhirls has a direct connection to LOAF's sight problems :)

TC

There's always hope! I'm blind in one eye now, but have good vision in the other... it's all because of a genetic disorder, so I could definately have problems in the future (although the chances of that go way down after I'm 27, apparently...).

Back