WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

I have few name sugestions for this project

WC4: Enemy within
WC4: Insurection
WC4: Border World Conflict
WC4: Operation Broken Lance

Anyway not sure if you remeber czacen, but any chance of Leech weapons showing up as special weapons in some future version?

Errata and so forth, per LeHah's request. Assuming czacen so desires, it would be nice if someone would split the thread. As always, I'm happy to talk about arcade Wing Commander lore... but I'd hate to have it dilute the presentation of his impressive mod any moreso than he might desire.

well the only reason i can find for the need to develop a new transport, esp one to carry valuable hidden cargo, is to make it with a design that enhances its stealth. the b-lance transport has a lot of flat dark surfaces and its engines and intakes are much less visible at long range, same for the b-lance carrier. in some ways it shares the same basic design principles of the raptor, B117 or the commanche.

All good points. We should also take special note of the weaponry -- it has twice as many turrets as an ordinary WC3/4 transport (and, of course, as someone pointed out, its apparent ability to launch fighters - it seems similar to the TCS Morgan from Wing Commander Academy in role).

In the end though, you are right. Its not like we're shown that the Project is a seperate entity like the UBW or Landreich - Tolwyn is still in his Confed uniform when the fleet moves in during the losing end game.

Of course, there's a technical reason for this, too... lest we forget, a player can lose the game *before* he learns that Tolwyn is the mastermind behind everything.

Wasn't Wilford an Admiral in the Border Worlds navy? I mean he did get a "demotion" down to captain in WCP where he apparently returned to Confed's military. I don't think BW admirals would see much special ops type stuff and he probably wasn't an admiral before joining the BWs.

Wilford was made a Sector Commander for the Enigma Sector at the very end of the Terran-Kilrathi War, and in that role he had experience with covert ops related projects -- he was familiar, specifically, with the Axius facility (which is why Quarto notes that the transport in question is probably some kind of 'special ops' ship -- it shares its design with Axius, a war-era Confederation facility.)

Re: Wilford's rank. He was a Captain in the Terran Confederation Navy, and was offered a Vice Admiralcy by the Border Worlds (who were desparate for experienced flag officers). When he returned to Confederate service, he went back to his earlier rank.

The game, however, very clearly implies that it is. I mean, they actually designed a new model that gets used literally in just one mission, when they could just as easily have used the same old transport as always - and they made this new transport look more like some kind of fast warship than a transport.

I don't disagree with your argument, but there's a technical correction to be made here (possibly even deservedly, since you opted to go with 'literally'...). You encounter the ship twice during any game of Wing Commander IV, and the game uses it in a grand total of five missions (you find it in one of four total options in Circe/Speradon, and then again during the escape from Axius).

But they do that in a lot of other WC material - there are early model Arrows in WCATV and Rapier Bs in the movie.

Another technical point to be made. They are 'Rapier-Bs', in that they are CF-117B Rapiers... but they aren't related to the fighters seen later in the timeline, which are F-44 Rapier IIs. The CF-117A would be another variant of the Rapier that appeared earlier in the war. The ship you see in the original Wing Commander is the F-44A Rapier II, and the one seen in Wing Commander II is the F-44G Rapier II (the F-44C shows up in End Run, too). The movie-Rapier is the P-47D Thunderbolt... there's an older P-47B, but neither is related to the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

I like WC4: Juggernauts. Has a sort of ring to it.

It sounds sort of like a Wing Commander 4 strip club... and not the classy Wing Commander 4 strip club. Another reasonable idea might be to find some other impressive Thomas Jefferson (or is it Wendell Phillips?) quote to borrow from, in the same vein as 'The Price of Freedom'.

I can try some quotes.

"It is weakness rather than wickedness which renders men unfit to be trusted with unlimited power." -- John Adams, 1788

"Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time." -- Winston Churchill

Wing Commander: Stand for Freedom.

"Those who have been once intoxicated with power and have derived any kind of emolument from it can never willingly abandon it." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

It's a bit awkward, but I'm quite fond of "Peace of the Borderline," which comes from Kipling's "Ballad of East and West (the same piece quoted by Captain Harcourt in End Run):

So, thou must eat the White Queen's meat, and all her foes are thine,
And thou must harry thy father's hold for the peace of the Border-line,
And thou must make a trooper tough and hack thy way to power --
Belike they will raise thee to Ressaldar when I am hanged in Peshawur!"

Delance said:
"It is weakness rather than wickedness which renders men unfit to be trusted with unlimited power." -- John Adams, 1788

Wing Commander: Unlimited Power

I like this one, it makes me want to play it and emphasizes the greater control and power you wield in this mod. One thing that bugs me about it though is that it reminds me of that Simpsons cartoon episode where Homer Simpson sees "Max Power" on a blow dryer (I think) and decides to change his name to Max Power. Of course the name worked pretty well for him in the episode.

WC4: Eternal Vigilence is decent. I also think WC4: Admiral's Aggression sounds decent; plus it will show up first in lists of mods that are alphabetical order. There's probably a better name out there though.

Getting back on topic - was there any reason why the AI from HW2 wasn't kept in the alpha, czacen? Were too many things changed after the mod that it didn't work or did you want to do something yourself?

He doesn't need to decide on any, unless if he wishes to. But he can come up with a title himself.

sorry people, been tied up with work over the past few days. the ships above are the 2 capships that will be available to Black lance, one is a standard converted confed destroyer and the other is a ship i have designed and made for the mod, its called the: "Exeter II class Destroyer" hope you like it. more updates soon. :)

That Exeter II is pretty sweet, can't wait to try her in-game! The other destroyer is, as your other work, excellent!

I like the look of that Exeter II class Destroyer. I appreciate how you made the engines look like those of the Hades class carrier from Secret Ops - nice touch.

Will this new class have any strengths or weaknesses that the "regular" destroyer doesn't have?

Ugh, you're right. I meant the Hades class, but got the ship type wrong. Sorry.

glad ppl like the design :). lehah the exeter II will be more expensive than the usual destroyer because it has cloaking and higher combat effectiveness, i.e. higher speed better armour and the same damage potential even though it has less turrets. still a little tweaking on the destroyer textures before its final. also i needed to ask, is the destroyer class with open rear bay sheffield or coventry? id like to accurately incorporate these names in the next build.

Is it possible to make ships that simply don't appear on the sensor map? The Black Lance having cloaking on every ship may be a bit much - so what about some kind of "sensor masking" for certain ships? (Just a thought)

I like the idea of ships not appearing very easily. It seems like the only way to locate fleets and gather intelligence in the games (at least up to WC4-not sure about Prophecy) was to fly a recon fighter into sensor range.

Many of the missions relied on the carriers not being spotted, so it's doubtful that they could've been easily found by probes; sensor pings, etc. Also many of the missions in the games were simply flying your fighter around until you located a certain ship.

Also, I finally found my Homeworld2 disk last night, so I can't wait to hook up your mod in these next few days!!!

Back