WC4 Missiles

Originally posted by Meson
I'm a master at the Avenger. The Vindicator is a good athmospheric fighter though.
Yay, Me too! :) And the Vindicator is the only BW atmospheric fighter available.

Originally posted by Dekkar
Bah, the banshee can do anything other then ground missions!

And missions that require you to use MIPs. And missions that require the use of the tractor beam.

Best, Raptor

Cut me some slack, I'm working off memory. My WcIV hasn't been working for a long time. I had completely forgot about the mip missions. If I'm not mistaken you don't need the tractor beam for any other missions though.

Yep. Though in the Catscratch mission I normally just took the sadistic route, and took long enough fighting the Confed fighters that Catscratch would do the noble thing and blow himself up. That way, he ends up dead, and Sosa isn't mad at me. The best of both worlds. :)

Best, Raptor

Re: Re: WC4 Missles

Originally posted by Preacher

I only avoid 'em on the "occasions" when they come after me. Otherwise, it's too much bother:D

Try using heat seekers that they fire at you to dameage them.

If you get a HS on your 6 find a enemy fight and fly by it from the rear. In wc1 it works with larger ships.

TRY IT you'll like it

Re: Re: WC4 Missles

Originally posted by Preacher

I only avoid 'em on the "occasions" when they come after me. Otherwise, it's too much bother:D

The best method i've found is to.....as soon as the missile lock warning lights up check the radar to see where the missiles are (yellow dots) as soon as the yellow dot gets close to the centre of the radar, pop 1 decoy, pull up hard and hit the afterburners.

Works......sometimes:D

Sometimes you don't even need decoys to pull that off. You wait it out until it's about .05 from you (going by the XW:A scale of distance) and just pull hard over.

Another tactic that works is, if it's possible, turn toward the missile and accelerate. Last second, dip the nose of your fighter as hard as you can. You might even wanna release some decoys.

Why nobody likes the Hellcat? I love that fighter! Maybe you disagree, but I prefer to fly a Hellcat than a Banshee...

The Hellcat lacks a personality. It also has a crappy missile loadout. The Arrow, a faster fighter, has 2 more missiles than it.

I like the Hellcat, but the Arrow can auto-slide, which is a great advantage agains corvettes!
My three favourite fighters in WC3 are the Arrow, the Longbow and (of course) the Excalibur, just because they can auto-slide!
Maniac was right when he said in the WC3 manual "whoever came up with that maneouver was a genius." Or something along those lines.

Originally posted by Nighthawk
The Arrow has the same gun configuration (2 Ion/2 Laser) as the Hellcat...
Nein. Do not believe everything you read in the Victory Streak -- it's got a host of errors. According to the Official Strategy Guide, and if you pay attention in the game itself, the Hellcat is armed with two Ion and two Neutron guns.

Another (albeit small) advantage that the Hellcat has is the ability to carry the full range of missiles, whilst the Arrow is limited to IR and HS types only.

Personally, I like them both, but neither holds a candle to the wonderful Thunderbolt, IMO. Even with only six missiles, the "Thud" can take on all comers without problem. Get a couple more missiles on that baby, and you've got the best "standard" fighter, no discussion necessary.

In wc4, the Hellcat has its neutrons replaced by particles, which is a much better gun format. And Phoenix, just give me a Vindicator, or even the good ol' Hellcat, and I will fly circles around you! Make no mistake, the Thud is a good assault fighter, but it just doesn't cut it in dogfights.

That's a matter of opinion. :) I flew the Thud almost continously in WC3 until the Excal was available, and there was no mission that it couldn't tackle, even on nightmare. OTH, the mission where you chase Hobbes shows that beating a T-bolt with a Hellcat is no picnic, even when the Hellcat is flown by the AI.

As for the Vin vs The T-bolt, that would be interesting. I believe that the Vin is the better design overall, as it has much better ship killing power and is more versatile. In a stright out fight between the two, though, the T-bolt would probably win. They have similar speed and agility, but the T-bolt has much better firepower.

Best, Raptor

Thuds are alright, I suppose... I loved the arrow's manuverability though. The kitties never stood a chance, the poor lugs! :)

Back