WC4 DVD/XP+Joystick problems

Q

Qc_Frog

Hi all,

I'm pissed....

Do you know that Microsoft dont even supports its own products?
I have a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback and cant use it in WinXP!
This f**ng joystick not only cost me over 100$ dollars (few years back) but now i cant use it anymore like i want.... Worst of all, MS proudly affirm that they wont developp any thing to correct this...

What's the point of paying expensive hardware in a long term optic when the compagny simply bullshits you few years later...

So now i cant play WC4 DVD, and i won't format to go back to Win98 just for a game...

Can anyone help me out ? I want to make WC4 recognize my joystick like it did with win98, i tried to create a custom joystick profile (standard 2 axis, 2 buttons dont even work!) and it wont work...

Please help me! :)

That's very strange...
does your Joytick work under Windows itself? Or doesn't it work even there? If it works under Windows: Do you use Windows 9x compatibilty mode for WCIV DVD?
Btw, I myself use the MS Precision Pro (USB) and that one wokrs fine with nearly every Flight-game (ecept Armada, but that's a diff. prob)

Ditto,
the USB sticks should work fine in any Windows 9x and also XP. Don't know much about 2k and NT, but I bet 2K wouldn't be a problem too.

What exactly is your problem? Is it the old game port version? Is it USB?

My Sidewinder is the old gameport version yes. It works well with any DirectX-based games...
So today i just bought a cheap USB joystick for 20$ and it wont work with WC4....How i can we config WC (or the joystick) in order that the game recognize the joystick?
I thought my problem was that WC4 was to old for USB support but you say that it work??

thanks for the help :)

Forgot something, yes i run the game in Windows98 compatibility mode in order to play the videos...

Ahm, have you tried pressing Alt+J (or was it Ctrl+J ?) ingame to select joytick for stearing? Just remember someone who had troubles to get his Joystick working simply cause mouse or keyboard was selected in the options. - Sorry that I remembered that one after you spent 20$ :(

I checked that i was in joystick mode, even in the game control panel, when i click to calibrate the joystick, nothing happens, cant control the cursor with joystick neither.

Is there a patch or something that make WC4 recognize USB joysticks??

No, there is no patch for USB Joyticks or so. It normally supports every Joystick recognized under Windows. - No idea what's going on there :(

There is no way to calibrate sticks in-game when using new joysticks with old games. AFAIK, digital USB sticks need no calibration. All you gotta do is install WC4 and the Windows patch and run the game. It should work. Apparently, there is something wrong with your machine...

Try reinstalling Direct X.

Hi again guys,

I solved my problem, i installed Win98 on my 2nd HD and use it to play my good old WC games! :) And i got refund for the joystick i uselessly bought.

And for your information, i have the DVD version, wich means there's no Windows Patch needed...Dont know why but my computer seems to be a stupid piece o' crap and just wont let me use my sticks....But i managed to get it working! anyhow :).

Thanks everybody for your help! You guys are great and this place is so cool....Wing Commander games marked my childhood as well as good old Dune' games....damn i miss these great games.....It's nice to see some people willing to keep this kinda of stuff alive :)

Keep up the good work and happy gaming!

Win98 is pretty good for legacy gaming. Then it's just a matter of having compatible hardware... But WC is not just a game, it is a freaking obsession.

Same problems here!
I use WIN Me and had last night problems configurating my Joystick during the gameplay of the WC4DVD. Had a hard time shootin´ pirates with my keyboard ;)

Alt+J at inflight and in the menu "Alt+O" the Joystick configbutton doesn´t work! At the carrier terminal same problem, too. There are no problems with WC4 DOS version on 6 CDs. I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital on the standart gameport, not the USB version. It´s around 6 years old but work out fine.

Video looks great with the mpeg2 patch, nothing else is wrong or is showing problems.

Please help me :(

Thanks in advance
max

easyeight said:
Same problems here!
I use WIN Me and had last night problems configurating my Joystick during the gameplay of the WC4DVD. Had a hard time shootin´ pirates with my keyboard ;)

Alt+J at inflight and in the menu "Alt+O" the Joystick configbutton doesn´t work! At the carrier terminal same problem, too. There are no problems with WC4 DOS version on 6 CDs. I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital on the standart gameport, not the USB version. It´s around 6 years old but work out fine.

Video looks great with the mpeg2 patch, nothing else is wrong or is showing problems.

Please help me :(

Thanks in advance
max

yep, i have the same problem !

i have the logitech wingman interceptor (game port too) and when i run wc4 in windows, either the full 6cd dos game patched or the dvd ed, it wont find my joystick !!

if yours works in dos i figure windows must do something weird to it so the game cant find it... it works fine in wcp... hrmm.. how to fix...

Unregistered said:
yep, i have the same problem !

i have the logitech wingman interceptor (game port too) and when i run wc4 in windows, either the full 6cd dos game patched or the dvd ed, it wont find my joystick !!

Interesting. I also have the game port version of the Logitech Wingman Interceptor. It works without a problem in WC4 DVD running WinXP. WinXP actually recognized the joystick by name after I plugged it in. No drivers needed. Being that this joystick is several years old, it puzzles me that WinXP is not recogizing a MS Sidewinder.

thanks for the reply, that was me earlier !

thats interesting for sure... mine works fine in prophecy, and is detected by name in wondows xp, but that was definately after i had to install logitech's new software, it would not detect it at all other wise !

i'm sure its properly functioning with other stuff now... it just has never worked on any version of wc4 i've had.. any idea why yours is super detectable? what are u hooking it up to? i'm using sb live! value... as far as i could tell on the logitech help site, many others couldnt get windows to detect unless they installed the software...

strange..

wankski said:
thanks for the reply, that was me earlier !

thats interesting for sure... mine works fine in prophecy, and is detected by name in wondows xp, but that was definately after i had to install logitech's new software, it would not detect it at all other wise !

i'm sure its properly functioning with other stuff now... it just has never worked on any version of wc4 i've had.. any idea why yours is super detectable? what are u hooking it up to? i'm using sb live! value... as far as i could tell on the logitech help site, many others couldnt get windows to detect unless they installed the software...

strange..

Well, the funny thing is that I thought this joystick was broken a long time ago. It stopped working on my old system and I couldn't get it to work on the 2nd system I had at the time. I refused to believe it was truly bad so I just put it in storage. I really loved the feel of this joystick so I refused to get rid of it. I pulled it out after probably 2 years in storage to see if it worked on my new system. All I did was plug it into the on-board game port and it worked! Nothing special done.

Now that I think about it, my old system has a SB Live! in it and that is the port that I couldn't get the stick to work on at all. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

All you people:
Do your sticks work on other DirectX games? Are the sticks doing ok in the Game Devices thingie in the Control Panel?

firefox91 said:
Well, the funny thing is that I thought this joystick was broken a long time ago. It stopped working on my old system and I couldn't get it to work on the 2nd system I had at the time. I refused to believe it was truly bad so I just put it in storage. I really loved the feel of this joystick so I refused to get rid of it. I pulled it out after probably 2 years in storage to see if it worked on my new system. All I did was plug it into the on-board game port and it worked! Nothing special done.

Now that I think about it, my old system has a SB Live! in it and that is the port that I couldn't get the stick to work on at all. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

good man, this is what i was beginning to think... thing is i dont have my on board sound card installed on my mobo (cos i'm using sblive) and my mother board doesnt have a direct gameport as far as i can tell... i think i saw the add on to the on board sound lying around... i'll stick it on and see how it goess.. it'll prolly take a while i fear...

anyway - for now i'll update the sblive drivers, hopefully something will tick...

Back