WC3 and WC4 Books

I have never read the books for WC so I was wondering if they all have to do with Blair and Maniac or do they have a bunch of other pilots and such?

Originally posted by Millzy
I have never read the books for WC so I was wondering if they all have to do with Blair and Maniac or do they have a bunch of other pilots and such?

You've got the books that are tied to the games (for WC3 and WC4), and the movie books (one for the movie, plus another book around the same period of time) that have Blair and Maniac as prominent characters. I would imagine that they appear in Fleet Action as well, although I'm not certain.
The other books, however, are about entirely different characters, some of whom appear in WC games (Doomsday and Bear, for example), and some who do not.

Originally posted by Millzy

I can't speak for the movie books, but for the Baen books I'll go through the principal characters.

Action Stations - Ensign Tolwyn, Lieutanat Vance Richards, Commander Winston Turner, Admiral Skip Banbridge, Jukaga and his dad, and that guy...who became president of the Landreich eventually.

Freedom Flight - Hobbes, Kirha, Hunter, Paladdin, K'kai

End Run - Bondarevsky(that's all I know, never read it)

Fleet Action- Admiral Tolwyn, Hunter, Bondarevsky, Doomsday, Kevin Tolwyn, Kirha, and that guy...who's the president of the Landreich.

WC3 - Everyone from the WC3 game

WC4 - Everyone from the WC4 game

False colors - Don't know never read it, but I hear it involves Bondarevsky again.

So pretty much Blair and Maniac only come in on WC3 and 4, although they're mentioned in Freedom Flight breifly.

thanks for the info... i've been looking for the books at used book stores when i get the change however i haven't found any yet... i could buy them online but it would take a while for them to come in... well that's according to chapters in canada (where i'm from)

Originally posted by Wildshot
...and that guy...who became president of the Landreich eventually...
...and that guy...who's the president of the Landreich...
Uh, Hans/Max Kruger?

I was wondering if Casey's callsing was ever mentioned. Like how we found that Blair's was Maverick.

I'm actually kind of surprised that there was never a Prophecy era book. I mean, EA published three books for UO2, and that game never even reached beta stage.

it's shame that they never did a book about prophecy... i really like the story for that game.... Are there any books that take place after the WC4 book?

Yes. False Colours is between WC3 and 4. The easy way to remember that would to realize that Tolwyn's still alive :)

"Originally posted by Manic
Using a Wasp without it's missiles is like "doing" a hooker without a condom. You're as good as dead. "

Manic that has to be the funniest analogy I have ever read.

Nafé

Originally posted by Manic
Using a Wasp without it's missiles is like "doing" a hooker without a condom. You're as good as dead.

I never had any problems surviving with just guns, maybe you're just not good under pressure ;)

Originally posted by LeHah
The Vampire wasn't bad, but when shit hit the fan, I was all about Wasps in WC:p.

And a "hell yeah!" to that, especially the Wasps in WCPSO

Originally posted by junior
I'm actually kind of surprised that there was never a Prophecy era book. I mean, EA published three books for UO2, and that game never even reached beta stage.

I once asked William Forstchen via E-Mail why he never did a WC:p era novel. His response was:

1.) Working with Baen and EA limited his ability to write a novel. He loved writing the "stand alones" like End Run and Fleet Action, but found the constraints on writing HotT and PoF too much to be anything but a chore.

2.) He thought the end he added to PoF was enough to make it a good closing to the Wing Commander saga. Not to mention, by that point we still had Action Stations and False Colors in the works.

Sadly, we'll never see those books Andrew Keith had planned. :(

We could have just told you that...

One of those 'constraints' he didn't like was how Tolwyn went somewhat over the top. Notice how it's less crazy and more misunderstood in the novel.

I haven't read the books but I never found Tolwyn to be crazy in the game. I considered him more power hungry and wishing the war was never really over...

Back