WC2 install probs

added both lines and got these responses on rebooting:
line 1 error C:\WIN...HIMEN corrupted or missing
tpyed line identical to wot u put and
EMM386 not installed, XMS manager not present

Imagine someone out there knows wot it is talking about and how to correct it , wouild appreciate a response. cheers.

Well, do a search for HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE on your computer and put those locations in the start-up files.

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's odd. I've only ever used DOS, Win3.1, Win95, and Win98, and I've only ever had the one set of start-up files in the root directory. Probably because I insist on cleaning out unused junk and customising the start-up files myself.

You need to have multiboot enabled (in the start menu you will see a "Boot to old DOS version" or somesuch.)
Windows usually only enables this automatically if you install a full version of Windows over a full installation of an old DOS.

Nah, I killed that too. :) I made my own start-up menu and it still only uses one set of start-up files.

Now says expanded memory detected.
Still a prob with himen.sys line but tried loading anyway.
It said Origin-fx-drivers not loaded is that something to do with
the himen line? Have only had a PC for about half a year so am still learning.
By finding where himen is you mean search for it under finding file or folder? But what does it mean by Origin fx drivers?
Bought this wing2 deluxe on ebay for 2pound but am beginning to feel I should ave just ordered the CD32 version of WC and put up with the dodgey controllers.

You keep saying himen.sys, make sure you are using himem.sys, as in HIgh MEMory. Make sure you are loading your himem.sys as the first line and emm386.exe as the second line.

Also try sticking everything except for himem.sys in upper memory. You do that by changing DEVICE= into DEVICEHIGH=.

for example:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

The more programs you can get into upper memory and out of lower memory, the larger your Largest Executable Program Size (use 'mem' command in DOS) is going to be.

Originally posted by Unregistered
For example:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
Nay, this is a common mistake. HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE manage high memory, so they use conventional memory only. Fortunately, using DEVICEHIGH instead of DEVICE won't do any damage.

But yeah, it's HIMEM, not HIMEN (can't believe I didn't notice that before). Also, double-check that all the files have the READ-ONLY attribute disabled. (eg C:\WING2>attrib *.* -r /s)

If you're still having troubles with memory, post the results of the command: mem /c > mem.txt

Warning: missing hymen.sys

Anyway. a couple of weeks ago I set up a DOS box for the purpose of playing older Wing Commander games... Pentium 60 with 40 MB of RAM. Yeesh it seems impossible to get that many TSRs up into that much high memory.

I could probaby take some of that out and stick it in a FreeBSD box once I get some new hardware for it.

Oh yeah it needs a sound card, too... of all the soundcards we have lying around, they are all PCI and do not have DOS drivers available.

Anyway it should be noted that WC1 runs insanely fast at 60 MHz, and WC2 runs kinda speedy as well. I dunno if it was really worth it other than for Armada and Priv. Maybe Academy, but its CD-ROM was confiscated by father before I could install that.

Originally posted by Nomad Terror
hymen.sys
This is getting ridiculous. You do realise that's a piece of female anatomy? [Considering that you appear to be the same poster who pointed out the spelling error, I hope you were only joking.]

Yeesh it seems impossible to get that many TSRs up into that much high memory.
Why do you need so many? Kill the ones you don't need - you really should only need sound drivers, a mouse driver, and possibly a CD-ROM driver.

...WC2 runs kinda speedy as well.
Only the cutscenes. The inflight stuff runs at the right speed.

Back