WC1 remake thread

Looks pretty good to me. Seems very reminiscent of WC1 sprites, only it still looks pretty decent in the FC engine. Couldn't done any better myself--worse probably.

Wc1 Remake Website said:
Started working on a script and improved mission pack. I had to start working on this project soon, because lately, no progress has been made.

I think I had no choice but to do that because I have been playing lots of other games lately and totally neglected the WC1 Remake Project.

Do you guys know why I am holding up on my WC1 Remake Project? It's because I need voice actors. Can one of you please volunteer to do comms for Angel and send them to me? I just need 2 files in WAV format. I would like the comms to be when Angel says yes or no to your orders.

BTW, I am not kidding when I said I would be working on an improved script and mission pack. I will release it with the third episode, WC1 Remake: Gimle System.

Kevin Caccamo said:
Do you guys know why I am holding up on my WC1 Remake Project? It's because I need voice actors.

Nobody knows this because you've never asked for any before.

Kevin Caccamo said:
BTW, I am not kidding when I said I would be working on an improved script and mission pack. I will release it with the third episode, WC1 Remake: Gimle System.

The first Wing Commander game would really play oddly if only one system at a time were made available. There's entire systems and sets of systems which get left out or played based on how you do. You go to Gimle if you succeed in McAuliffe. What happens if the player fails in McAuliffe or Enyo? I don't think releasing 13 episodes is necessarily the best way to do this.

Yeah, I would have to agree with Chris on this on.

A suggestion, though:

Create two systems per episode. You also probably should go back to episode 1 and 2 to include the lose path systems while you wait for voiceovers.

Another piece of advice, judging from your news posts, you might want to have a few people beta test your game before releasing it. Even though the file size is small, making people continually redownload the game is not a good thing.

Also, if you are not already using Wedge's WC site, I'd highly recommend it as it is extremely comprehensive, IMHO.

Just some helpful advice.

-Iceblade

Yeah, since your just replacing a limited number of FC files, having separate downloads is not necessary. Also it won't take you quite as long to make this mod considering most all of the fiction (if not all) is done, and there is little to no creative work required for the missions, etc. Basically, most of the time consuming work for the mod is done, especially if your not planning on adding cutscenes and stuff. So really the main purposes of having an episodic mod are not there downloads and time.

People can wait, but I can see why you would want to make it episodic considering just the number of missions in WC1.

Well, good luck Kevin.

So you need voice lines for Angel? Okay, we can look around and try to find an actress . Who else do you need voice lines for?

By the way, does anyone remember how Angel responded to commands in WC1? I'm thinking it was something like, "Oui, mon ami" but I don't remember.

That was what she said in WC2. In WC1, she said something along the lines of "Oui, mon capitaine." I'm not sure if she changed it according to the player's current rank.

Then again, it's been a while since I've played WC1, so I could be wrong.

Good Evening fellow fans.

I have planned to enhance my WC1 Remake project by making the computer screens green instead of that WCP cyan. I converted it to a palette image with NCONVERT.EXE and I modified it with Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004, then I converted it back to Flight Commander Format.

NCONVERT.EXE may have mystical powers of conversion. It is said to be able to convert any image to an 8-bit bitmap, while leaving the image fully intact. It must be very complicated code, and very effective too. Even Reaconverter cannot do as well of a job as NCONVERT.EXE.

I will be releasing WC1 Remake Gold Edition with Editor's files, the modified interface, the lua scripts, the improved missions, and the Wing Commander 1 Remake Gold edition campaign.

Kevin:

First, I'd like a download will all the files needed for the remake in it, so you can just unzip it on top of a flight commander install. I'd suggest not including some guys converter program in the download. Also, I'd suggest playing through each mission at least once before releasing. Be sure to do a separate release annoucement so people can see it. I'll give it a try once it's all in one file.

Check out my site. The new version of the WC1 Remake is the answer to all this that you have been giving me for no losing campaign.

NCONVERT is extremely useful. It's license agreement said you may make unlimited copies. Just type in nconvert -colors 256 <filename> and you will have an 8-bit image that looks almost the same as the 24-bit original image

Also, be sure to check out my latest post in [thread=19996]this thread[/thread]

Where's the link to the download? I tried http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wc1remake/_dfiles/wcrgold.zip but it didn't contain all the files apparently. I tried this and it didn't even get to the first mission, a bad user experience. You need to do a clean FC 1.3 install to a new directory, extract your stuff on top, and then see if it actually works. Only then should you release.

Also, get rid of nconvert, nobody wants to download it. Just link it if you really like it so much.

Ok, Eddieb.

I have another question for you... How do I implement different simulator music. I know the file is called Simulator.mp3, but I want to use different sim music for WC1 Remake. How am I supposed to encode my new MP3 For use in flight commander? How do I get it to even work in FC?

Problem solved. I released the WC1 Remake Gold edition, trying to keep as much original files in there as possible, but no new simulator music, since I cannot get it to work with Flight Commander 1.3. One question: Will Flight Commander ever have atmospheric battles and atmospheric fighters? And planets with atmospheres that you can enter?

Back