WC1 remake thread

U

Unregistered

Guest
I have a few things for you flight commander fans. First off, I would like to tell you that I have a mod for flight commander called WC1 Remake. The site is www.ciinet.org/kevin/wc1remake/ and the demo has already been released. Obviously, it will be based on Wing Commander 1.

And my questions:

Is Flight Commander 1.2 still an alpha version or is it now fully functional?

Will "Jumping" be included in Flight Commander 1.3?

And that's all for now
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
Unregistered said:
I have a few things for you flight commander fans. First off, I would like to tell you that I have a mod for flight commander called WC1 Remake. The site is www.ciinet.org/kevin/wc1remake/ and the demo has already been released. Obviously, it will be based on Wing Commander 1.

And my questions:

Is Flight Commander 1.2 still an alpha version or is it now fully functional?

Will "Jumping" be included in Flight Commander 1.3?

And that's all for now
I have another question to ask you people. Will flight commander be made more compatible with Windows XP?
 

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
Unregistered said:
I have another question to ask you people. Will flight commander be made more compatible with Windows XP?
I run FC on Windows XP and it runs fine. Sounds like a cool project you are doing.
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Flight Commander has always run on XP, that's where I develop on. I'm awaiting a jump model, it's not a big deal to add. Flight Commander 1.2 is stable. 1.3 will be very similar to 1.2 execpt it will have scripting. Glad to hear someone else is using the engine, please send me something to try out, I can't wait. I would suggest using Flight Commander's 3d briefing features to do the briefing rather than put them in email messages. I'd also suggest doing missions first, not the messages.
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Very well done, you've done a good job. Couple of things that I really like are the facts that speed of the ships seem to very accurately mimic the feel of Wing Commander 1. (Don't take this wrong Standoff guys but Standoff has always felt too fast in ship maneuverability and slow in gun fire...I know you measured it, I'm just saying what I felt about it). Obviously, the enemy AI in flight commander needs some work...was quite chaotic and not all that threatening. Also the weapons definitely need tweaked, I landed some twenty to thirty hits on a Dralthi without it going boom. I think the laser fire (time between shots) needs to be slowed down quite a bit and apparently pack much more punch. Eddie, what would it take to allow cutscenes from WC1 to play before the mission launches?
(I was thinking of using something like FRAPS to record the mission briefing scenes and then play them as an AVI).
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Maj.Striker said:
Very well done, you've done a good job. Couple of things that I really like are the facts that speed of the ships seem to very accurately mimic the feel of Wing Commander 1. (Don't take this wrong Standoff guys but Standoff has always felt too fast in ship maneuverability and slow in gun fire...I know you measured it, I'm just saying what I felt about it). Obviously, the enemy AI in flight commander needs some work...was quite chaotic and not all that threatening. Also the weapons definitely need tweaked, I landed some twenty to thirty hits on a Dralthi without it going boom. I think the laser fire (time between shots) needs to be slowed down quite a bit and apparently pack much more punch. Eddie, what would it take to allow cutscenes from WC1 to play before the mission launches?
(I was thinking of using something like FRAPS to record the mission briefing scenes and then play them as an AVI).
I must also say this is the most complete FC mod I've received to date, so good job. AI is admittedly bad, true. Flight Commander 1.2 can already play AVIs before and after missions.
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
While I'm absolutely in favor of everyone coming up with their own WC projects, I don't like the fact that someone went and extracted files from Standoff without contacting us about it (also, that credits page isn't accurate - the Raptor and Bengal look like they're from Standoff as well).

I'd appreciate it if you could re-texture the models that are currently identical to Standoff's versions with textures of your own before posting any more screenshots. That's all I ask of people who contact me about borrowing our models for their mods - use the models, but re-do the textures... you can keep the mapping coordinates and everything, just go and paint a new texture over the current one in Photoshop so it doesn't look identical anymore.

(The reason is pretty simple... I don't want anyone else's game to look exactly like Standoff, specially since Standoff is still in development. If you extract something from my game and show it in yours before I'm done using it in mine, you make me look stupid.)
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Yes, all those things 3d models you credit to me are actually came from Mario Brito's web site. Please respect Eder's requests, they're very reasonable.
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
Well, I have originally used most of the models from standoff... I think I have replaced them with ones from the ship pack now. I only used the Krant from Standoff. When it comes to that point, I plan to use the Jalthi from Standoff as well. Some ships were from UE. The Salthi, Gratha, and Scimitar were from UE. But the rest of them came from the ship pack. Even the Tiger's Claw was from the ship pack.

And you must know that it's quite a pleasure for you adding the mod link to your site.

Remember, Standoff guys, I am planning to use your Jalthi in the future.
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
Plus... I do not know if I have violated your license aggrement. I think I have by just having your name on the site.
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
Sorry eder.

I posted the notices on both the Standoff and UE sites. I'm not too good at texturing. I hope that the notices are enough to convince everyone that WC1 Remake is different than UE or Standoff. I posted the notice that I will use your Jalthi next if it's required.

I'm sorry about the laser. It's just what they said in WC CIC Ships Database.
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
And besides... All I remember is that the Standoff Raptor and Bengal were in previous versions of WC1 Remake.
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
Sorry to be so talkative, but I have used the bengal (Tiger's Claw) and the raptor from the ship pack, not from Standoff or UE. I only used those ships from Standoff or UE in previous versions. However, a new version is out. Sorry, eder. I wish I knew.
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Well, you can use whichever *models* you want from Standoff... you don't need to ask me, just give credit to the Standoff Team somewhere in your mod. But I'm really, really, going to have to ask you to re-texture the models or have someone else do it.

I have seen my *models* in quite a bunch of places (and I'm fine with that), but your screenshots are the first time I see my *textures* used in something other than Standoff... they weren't supposed to be available *anywhere* other than in Standoff's TRE files.

So, if you didn't extract them yourself, but simply got them from somewhere else (the Ship Pack you mention, what's that?), I'd like to know who to contact so I could ask the guy to take the textures down. Whoever is distributing these textures has probably never asked me about it - because if he had, I would've told him I don't want my textures to be used anywhere other than in Standoff.
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
The so called "ship pack" is probably this

http://flightcommander.solsector.net/fcwebold/wc12ship_pack.zip

Which you're welcome to download, and verify that the textures are quite low quality, and are not at all from either Standoff or UE. They came from Mario Brito's site. So the ships he's got that look good didn't come from my ship pack.

Again, respect Eder's requests. Just paint over the textures yourself as best you can.

Eder, might I suggest you also clarify if your requests apply the same to UE and Standoff, or if each one has different rules.
 
Does Mario Brito have a problem with people using ships from the ship packs (1/2,3,4,Arm)i n Mods for FC or will he have ask them to be retextured?

I'm thinking about doing a FC Mod and if I give him credit do think he'd have a problem with it.Maybe I should contact him.

I'm still not sure what era I want the Mod in but I know the carrier will be a Ranger, The One from Killerwave's site.
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Unregistered said:
Sorry to be so talkative, but I have used the bengal (Tiger's Claw) and the raptor from the ship pack, not from Standoff or UE. I only used those ships from Standoff or UE in previous versions. However, a new version is out. Sorry, eder. I wish I knew.
You really need to Register if you're going to be a regular poster, especially if you're promoting some fan project. When you go around to other threads and talk about your project, nobody knows who you are or what project you're talking about. And do what Eder says.
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
eddieb said:
Eder, might I suggest you also clarify if your requests apply the same to UE and Standoff, or if each one has different rules.
These rules only apply to Standoff (and possibly Saga, but I don't remember for sure on that count). We have no problems with people using UE textures. Why? The reason is simple - Standoff actually has art direction :p. All the models in Standoff are textured the same way, so that they all look like they belong in the same game. UE didn't have this - UE, like most fan projects, consisted of simply a haphazard collection of meshes taken from wherever we could get them, and textured by whoever we could get to texture them. We have ships imported straight from WC4, other ships from HCl's WC1 Remake (which were, I believe, actually made by Tigershark, aka Hellcat), a few more ships come from the XWA TC mod, and finally we also have some ships which were made "on order" for us by Eder or were made for Standoff and retextured for UE use.
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
eddieb said:
The so called "ship pack" is probably this

http://flightcommander.solsector.net/fcwebold/wc12ship_pack.zip

Which you're welcome to download, and verify that the textures are quite low quality, and are not at all from either Standoff or UE.
Yeah, Eddie, I'm familiar with your ship pack - and that's what made me even more intrigued as to how someone could have gotten the textures other than by extracting them from Standoff.

Quarto said:
[UE has] ships imported straight from WC4, other ships from HCl's WC1 Remake (which were, I believe, actually made by Tigershark, aka Hellcat), a few more ships come from the XWA TC mod, and finally we also have some ships which were made "on order" for us by Eder or were made for Standoff and retextured for UE use.
Yeah, that's right... even I had to retexture my own models so I could allow myself to use them in a different project (in which I was credited as the lead 3d artist or something, but it's still not Standoff and therefore still can't use the same textures :p).
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Eder said:
Yeah, Eddie, I'm familiar with your ship pack - and that's what made me even more intrigued as to how someone could have gotten the textures other than by extracting them from Standoff.
Given that this mod's website credits him for these particular ships, I wonder if Iceblade has anything to say about this.
 
Top