WC1 remake thread

Thanks, I really appreciate it! :)

(Making your own textures pays off in the long run - you end up with a mod that has a real sense of style, instead of looking like a random collection of stuff from different sources).

The new Krant really gives off the feel of the old sprite one. Its pretty cool. Also if you use you own texture in time, I mean a long time, you can make textures that look as good as Standoffs.

powell99 said:
The new Krant really gives off the feel of the old sprite one. Its pretty cool. Also if you use you own texture in time, I mean a long time, you can make textures that look as good as Standoffs.

Sure does. Brings me back memories of WC1. :D

Downloaded the new update. looks fun. Thanks for retexturing. One minor suggestion. In your ship files, you give all the ships infinite fuel and energy.
<afterburner velocity = "1200" acceleration = "1200" fuel = "999999" />
<energy total = "999999" recharge_rate = "999999" />

You might consider changing this when you have time.

just a quick comment on climber's complaint about the "legality" and lack of precedents:

there are actually many many precedents on this kind of thing - to the point where the openttd (an open source remake of transport tycoon) is having to remake all its sprites and cannot ship the game with the original transport tycoon sprites as that would be illegal and hasbro (very nicely) said "dont, or youll regret it"

as for the texturing thing above - i see eder's point even if i can see an arguement for mod makers making an initial beta/screenshots which demo the basic workings before changing textures etc (after all, making sure things work first is more important than making sure its pretty).

thats not to say that eder isnt totally within his right, and infact i think hes being supercool in terms of giving free-reign to people to borrow the models as long as the textures are changed (hmm, pink jalthi anyone?)

Madman said:
as for the texturing thing above - i see eder's point even if i can see an arguement for mod makers making an initial beta/screenshots which demo the basic workings before changing textures etc (after all, making sure things work first is more important than making sure its pretty).

One could easily make the point that you could build the mod without any textures (or at least blank filler ones) if the goal is just to make sure it works then.

The issue with using those textures in screenshots, even when you're planning to replace them, is that you're misleading people. I mean, if you post a screenshot with a blank placeholder texture on a ship... everyone understands it's a placeholder. But if you post a screenshot with a ship using Standoff textures, it's no longer quite as clear that we're talking about a placeholder.

Additionally, there are things inside the Standoff package that we don't want people to see - essentially, we feel that (remarkably enough :p) we have the right to be the first ones to show our ships.

powell99 said:
Eder said:
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

(Making your own textures pays off in the long run - you end up with a mod that has a real sense of style, instead of looking like a random collection of stuff from different sources).
Ptarmigan said:
Sure does. Brings me back memories of WC1. :D

Wow! I was convinced by your last message eder "Even I had to retexture for different fan projects". I tried the best I could and painted it over accordingly to your textures. I hope you don't mind.

People, for my project, am I allowed to replace "fcgameflow.mp3" with the music from "wing commander - swing commander.mp3" from the CIC?

That's fine, but it is not okay to continue to conduct your project business with an unregistered name. You've been told several times already. You must register and use a Crius account.

powell99 said:

I guess you're right. I played around With Photo Editor and had suddenly created a good quality texture out of that simple painting I did with paint. I tried to paint accordingly to eder's textures, but definitely NOT using the exact same colours, but the ones that were available to me. Does anyone here like it?

eddieb said:
Downloaded the new update. looks fun. Thanks for retexturing. One minor suggestion. In your ship files, you give all the ships infinite fuel and energy.
<afterburner velocity = "1200" acceleration = "1200" fuel = "999999" />
<energy total = "999999" recharge_rate = "999999" />

You might consider changing this when you have time.

Kevin Caccamo said:
Sorry about the infinite power generator and the infinite afterburner fuel, but there is no data about that in WC CIC.

Eddieb, the quote that was by me was from the website. There was NO DATA on power generators and/or fuel in the CIC in the WC1 Section. Please don't tell me I have to change it. But at least the ships are destroyable.

This message was posted by me

This is the new Jalthi

Please do not say it is too ugly. It was a lot of texture to paint over. Thank Goodness it was [highlight]only[/highlight] one texture I had to paint over.

Kevin Caccamo said:
Eddieb, the quote that was by me was from the website. There was NO DATA on power generators and/or fuel in the CIC in the WC1 Section. Please don't tell me I have to change it. But at least the ships are destroyable.
Well, nobody is going to tell you that you have to do something in your mod :). However, infinite fuel and gun energy is pretty excessive, so it definitely would be a good idea for you to reduce it. What you can do is play WC1 and try to figure out some appropriate numbers based on what you see in the game.

Kevin Caccamo said:
It was only a suggestion, do what you will. Some gamebalance issues you may want to tweak on your own without relying on other sources.

Back