WC1 remake thread

Eddie, I asked this in another thread but what would it take to add more realistic weapon animations for the lasers and cannons etc in FC? Also what would it take to add a more realistic cockpit? would you need a cockpit mesh or just a sprite?

You can already do nice prophecy style 2d forward facing laser billboards, as well as 3d models, but no texture animation yet. Cockpits are just any 3d model, so just make one.

You still have not answered my first question. Is Flight Commander 1.2 still an alpha version?

Hmmm.... Well I did release two ship packs to the RG mod team, so that they would have the current conversions. (BTW, all the textures in these packs are slatted to be redone.)

I just checked the ship packs I sent out and they only have the hornet, talon, tarsus, ralari (not sure if from UE or Standoff) and the Fralthi that are from Standoff.

The shipspack on eddie's site was not converted by me. Granted, I probably should of mentioned the rules concerning the models, but RG's prologue is not even to be released for a good while.

Hey, eddie you might want to add a disclaimer in the zip or something about the rules concerning those craft. Esp. considering since they are all from Standoff.

And Eder, I apologize for the incident.

Unregistered said:
You still have not answered my first question. Is Flight Commander 1.2 still an alpha version?
eddieb said:
Flight Commander has always run on XP, that's where I develop on. I'm awaiting a jump model, it's not a big deal to add. Flight Commander 1.2 is stable. 1.3 will be very similar to 1.2 execpt it will have scripting. Glad to hear someone else is using the engine, please send me something to try out, I can't wait. I would suggest using Flight Commander's 3d briefing features to do the briefing rather than put them in email messages. I'd also suggest doing missions first, not the messages.
Yes I did.

yawn. Look mommy, that boy has a red bike too, I don't like him having a red bike it looks like my red bike. I want to be the only one with a red bike. *stamp stamp, hissy fit*

I do love the real world of ripping people off, especially when no copyrighting precendents exist. Sure, there is the whole argument about intelectual property but hey, chill out and enjoy the ride

Iceblade said:
I just checked the ship packs I sent out and they only have the hornet, talon, tarsus, ralari (not sure if from UE or Standoff) and the Fralthi that are from Standoff.
Well, that makes this even worse, then. Looks like the Raptor and the Bengal textures went to another mod of their own free will.

I should just check with HCl to see if he can make all of Standoff's TRE files un-openable instead of expecting people to be reasonable.

yawn. Look mommy, that boy has a red bike too, I don't like him having a red bike it looks like my red bike. I want to be the only one with a red bike. *stamp stamp, hissy fit*

I do love the real world of ripping people off, especially when no copyrighting precendents exist. Sure, there is the whole argument about intelectual property but hey, chill out and enjoy the ride

I know the rest of the internet thinks it's goddamn adorable because it's created a nonsensical pseudophilosophy about sharing other peoples information as an excuse for not being able to come up with your own content.

We are smarter than the rest of the internet -- you can take legality and morality and whatever the hell you think you think is actually a point worth making here and shove it.

It's as simple as this: if people steal from Standoff on purpose they will not have their mods hosted by us, they will not have their news reported on the front page and they will not be allowed to post to these forums.

And no, there is absolutely no room for debate. Standoff is amazing and they created these textures to premiere in their game -- if they say you can't use them, you can't. They're happy to let no talent jackasses use plenty of their fantastic elements. Unless the next words out of your fingers are 'Yes sir, I agree with you, and I was an idiot for posting that inane crap in the first place' DO NOT BOTHER REPLYING TO THIS THREAD.

climber said:

This isn't like that at all.

climber said:

You don't seem to understand what's going on here. Eder is one of the very most generous people when it comes to modeling Wing Commander ships and distributing them every which way for use in various mods. However, the Standoff mod has a very tight and consistent texture style that was worked out just for this project. And the project is still in development, and many of the ships have not been used in an episode yet. We're not talking about greedy stupid file hoarding that other projects have participated in in the past. Eder, who contributes some of the most content to upstart mods, prefers to have his own mods be the first one to show off the hard work he's done. You'd be annoyed too if someone trotted out a painting in their gallery that you spent a couple years on before you could unveil it in your own.

Eder said:
Well, that makes this even worse, then. Looks like the Raptor and the Bengal textures went to another mod of their own free will.

I should just check with HCl to see if he can make all of Standoff's TRE files un-openable instead of expecting people to be reasonable.

Eder:

I downloaded his original mod to double check. The pictures in his screenshots don't match what he released in his download. I verified both his bengal and raptor are the low quality ones from Mario's site. You can't at all play the ones in his screenshots. Check them out in the FC ship viewer to verify. So that solves the mysterious bengal and raptor. Just a case of outdated screenshotting for those 2 ships anyway. The incorrect screenshots should be taken down.

That's probably what he meant by this
Unregistered said:
Sorry to be so talkative, but I have used the bengal (Tiger's Claw) and the raptor from the ship pack, not from Standoff or UE. I only used those ships from Standoff or UE in previous versions. However, a new version is out. Sorry, eder. I wish I knew.

I can confirm his Krant does look like Standoff, and his mod is the first place ever I've seen it in FC. It didn't come from Ranger's Glory, it was never in anything from them I've seen from the RG folks. And he admitted to using only the Krant, so that adds up.

Once again I reiterate my support for Eder's requests.

Iceblade said:
Hey, eddie you might want to add a disclaimer in the zip or something about the rules concerning those craft. Esp. considering since they are all from Standoff.
And Eder, I apologize for the incident.
I'll add a blurb on the flight commander converter website. The ship zips are your responsibility, as you created them, and I have not published them on my website.

climber said:
i do like to rock the boat, meant nowt by it. fun to see how people react mind.

Rocking the boat involves having an ounce of original thought, not the ability to repeat whatever you read at Slashdot.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Eddie, what I pointing out was that the zips I sent the RG team are different from that one that you host on your web--which appears to be from your own converting. The bit about adding a disclaimer to the zip hosted on your site would be to make sure that anybody who downloads the models for use in their own FC mod will have to give full credit to Eder and alter the textures.

Although any with treman can take the models without asking from the Standoff tres, having it already un-tre'd and converted for FC is probably not the best thing to have. Just my opinion.

And Eder, I do reiterate that not a single screenshot has or will be taken of your models without the new textures. Plus the mod will also have all new textures anyway due to higher resolutions and such.

Iceblade said:
Eddie, what I pointing out was that the zips I sent the RG team are different from that one that you host on your web--which appears to be from your own converting.
Right. Where my own converting never used anything from Standoff, which anyone can confirm.

Iceblade said:
The bit about adding a disclaimer to the zip hosted on your site would be to make sure that anybody who downloads the models for use in their own FC mod will have to give full credit to Eder and alter the textures.
Oh, you mean the zip file containing my conversion programs. Please be more specific next time. I see, I originally thought you meant some nonexistant zip of models on my site. Yes, in support of Eder I did put warnings on my converter program's web page. It would probably be good to put warnings on the standoff page as well.

Iceblade said:
Although any with treman can take the models without asking from the Standoff tres, having it already un-tre'd and converted for FC is probably not the best thing to have. Just my opinion.

Right, which is why I've never posted such a thing. Standoff has entrusted me with a few of their secrets, and I would not do anything to lose that trust.

eddieb said:
Yes, in support of Eder I did put warnings on my converter program's web page. It would probably be good to put warnings on the standoff page as well.
I think the warning you put up might actually be a bit excessive, because it gives the wrong idea. We don't want to give the impression that we hate anyone who dares to use Standoff's models.

What bothered us here is not so much the use of the textures (which ceased as soon as we asked) but rather the fact that in the case of at least two ships, nobody has actually admitted to doing it - and if we don't know who's responsible, we can't very well ask them to stop.

We don't want every single WC editing site to include warnings not to use their tools with Standoff - that will only make us look bad. And don't worry - we're never, ever going to hold you responsible for what other people do with your tools.

Quarto said:
What bothered us here is not so much the use of the textures (which ceased as soon as we asked) but rather the fact that in the case of at least two ships, nobody has actually admitted to doing it - and if we don't know who's responsible, we can't very well ask them to stop.
We figured out the source of those 2 ships already, see above. He used them in old screenshots, but were not included in his mod download. Guess I'll make the warning about textures specifically and just put it on the model converter page.

So now that things appear to be cleared up, can we get some updated screenshots?

Just instead use the low quality Krant that came with my ship pack instead of the standoff one.

Back