wc1 base: asteroid or not?

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
hmm, i need a confed base for the nexus mod, but i'm not sure what it should look like.
it needs to have capship docks, and pegasus asteroid base is more or less the only one in the wc1 era i know of.
but since space stations (especially ones with drydocks) tend to be large, costly and long-lived, it could also be one like the industrial bases from wc3 or 4. or like the perry sector hq...:confused:

Well if you make it a free-floating self contained space station, it'll have to be pretty huge to house all the necessary equipment and gear for capship support, and therefore pretty important (like a sector HQ). Having it carved out of an asteroid is simply a matter of taste on your part. Do you whant it to be in deep space, or in orbit around something or in an asteroid field?

it may not be too far of a reach to assume that bases like Torgo HQ were around in the 2650s. It is a fairly large installation that could not be built in a short amount of time, just because we don't encounter it until wc3 doesn't mean it didn't exist then, although I'm not sure if there is any evidence to support the fact it was there then...just throwing it out there.

it's supposed to be more a small shipyard than a sector or quadrant hq, but it built into an asteroid, i'd have it look more or less like the wcm pegasus base

Well, Perry Naval base is Gemini Sector's HQ in 2669. As Gemini Sector is the "The Terran frontier between the Kilrathi Empire… and the unknown." Seems reasonable that thase might be similar bases along the frontiers, at least on in each sector, depending on Kilrathi activity.

Is size and capability seem to be enough for your purposes and you may be confident that many of us will be quite glad to see some Perry sisters around!

Pegasus is certainly a 'WC1-era' base: it was built in 2646. You can find a nice history along with some helpful reference shots here: https://www.wcnews.com/ships2/wcmpegasus.shtml

The base in Wing Commander II was Caernarvon. I'm fairly sure it was around circa WC1, but I don't have the reference on me... Blair was assigned there in 2656, of course, and I believe the 'making of' section of the WC1/2 Guide references the fact that it was abandoned by some science group X number of years earlier.

I don't know of any other 'seen' bases for 2654 -- there's certainly dozens and dozens of them referenced in the literature, but I don't think we have pictures for anything but Pegasus.

As for Perry, I can't recall a specific date. The implication in the Gemini Sector manual is certainly that it was constructed sometime after 2658.

Last edited by a moderator:
the point is that i want the base to have shipyard or at least cap ship docking facilities, and the Caernarvon won't do that.
so i guess it's going to be a pegasus-like asteroid base

Don't we hear about a freighter (the Willie C) departing the base during the first Gwynedd series?

gwynedd series?

and was was talking about real big ships, like gettysburgs, supercruisers or bengals that should be able to dock with the station. i think pegasus is the best choice.
but thank you all for the input!

I am sure those starbases you see like in WC1, 2, 3, 4, and Prophecy were around for a long time. Building a starbase is time consuming, especially the large ones. I am sure the Caernavon station in WC2 was around prior to WC1.

Chevieblazer said:
gwynedd series?

If you're making a mod involving Wing Commander 2 ships and backstory, you should know the name of the very first system you fly out of in Wing Commander 2.

I picked up Nexus a couple days ago and it came in the mail today. It's a very pretty game - and I like the fact that it's much slower than games similar like Homeworld 2. I'd very much like a WC mod for this game...

...but I'd like it to be a proper mod. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make it seem like I know what the hell goes into modding a game like this, but I'd think the first step in making a good mod is research. LOAF suggested the WC 1/2 guide which is a great read; very much like the TIE Fighter strategy guide. It sounds like you're going for the earlier WC era, so I think that book and maybe the Confed Handbook (both of which can be had for cheap on Half.com) would be a great place to start before putting anything together for the game per se.

I found a WC12G while sorting through my library. The Intergalactic Science Council left Caernavon in 2655 for a newer base -- so, it seems fairly safe to assume it was around during WC1.

Chevieblazer said:
it's supposed to be more a small shipyard than a sector or quadrant hq, but it built into an asteroid...
We've rarely seen any shipyards at all in the WC series. The only one that comes to mind is the Vesuvius being buit outside of Jupiter HQ in WC4. But since we all agree that shipyards do in fact exist, I'd say this is the perfect opportunity for you to create something unique (with a WC feel to it of course). I'm interested in seeing some visuals as soon as you have some.

We do see shipyards on occasion. There's a pair of Confederation drydocks in Wing Commander IV's Speradon series, there's Kilrathi shipyards in a cut scene towards the end of Wing Commander III and there's a Nephilim drydock in Wing Commander Prophecy's G'mar series.

Bandit LOAF said:
We do see shipyards on occasion. There's a pair of Confederation drydocks in Wing Commander IV's Speradon series, there's Kilrathi shipyards in a cut scene towards the end of Wing Commander III and there's a Nephilim drydock in Wing Commander Prophecy's G'mar series.

Ok... well it's nice to know about the Kilrathi and Nephilim shipyard... but I don't think they influence the look of terran shipyards. It's nice to know though... as for the other one you mentionned the drydocks in WC4... pictures please. Pretty please with a cherry on top...:)

this is exactly why i was asking if anybody knew a confed shipyard facility other than the pegasus installation. i will use pegasus as a template. since it won't be a sector hq, the drydock section will be larger compared to the rest, but i'll keep the basic idea.
as for the caernavon type station(which appears twice in wc2, one in the beginning and the one spirit blows up) it is quite possible it will find its way into the mod at a later date, all the props i've been asking for recently are just for the first episode(which doesn't mean they can't reappear later)

@ lehah:
this is exactly why i decided to get help with writing the storyline from somebody who is better aquanted with the extended wc universe(including all the novels and such), and quailpilot is already doing a great job with it

Back