WC1 and WC2 Mod Projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a capital ship designed to bombard planets, you want wide wings - so you can stick as many big lasers and AMGs and what-not in there as possible. It also lets you have more area for engines without significantly increasing the mass of the ship.

Well the wings I meant could maybe carrie turrets, but in this special case they would point into the wrong direction...I meant that one that look like stabelizers of a aerofighter.
I also don't think that the wings I talk about are capable of housing engines without shaking the ship apart or just breaking away with the wings.

That was my post - I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be banned. (I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't ban someone for doing the same thing... but I think Concordia knows I'm not being completely serious. It's entirely situational.)

Well I was not speaking of banning just a little waring...beside that a moderator can't allways be sure if someone meant something serious or not if not mentioned.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'too flat' - based on the windows on the sides, both the Ralari and the Fralthi II are several decks high. With all due respect to our Borg friends, a 'flat' ship is certainly preferrable to a huge brick... you want the smallest RADAR (LIDAR?) cross-section possible.

Well in the case anyone has to life in the Wingpart that I have marked as "to thin" I would rather kill myself but to be trapped inside such a less armored part of the ship...because they can put armor there or personel, but both?
Looking at the clawmarks these wings are just about 1 deck high..not very much space left for armor.

Attachments

• wc1ralari copy.jpg
    wc1ralari copy.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 193
  • wc2waterloo copy.jpg
    wc2waterloo copy.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 202
Holy fucking shit, everyone hit the deck, Frosty is about to criticize someone's spelling!

Everyone ready? Lars, you spelled "too" wrong. Thrice.
gevatter Lars said:
Well the wings I meant could maybe carrie turrets, but in this special case they would point into the wrong direction...
Explain the wrong direction bit.
I meant that one that look like stabelizers of a aerofighter.
I also don't think that the wings I talk about are capable of housing engines without shaking the ship apart or just breaking away with the wings.
Yes, but you know exactly nothing about the behavior of the engine technology, the properties of the materials used or even all of the materials used, or the design. So you're about as qualified to make that judgement as a dead manatee.
Well in the case anyone has to life in the Wingpart that I have marked as "to thin" I would rather kill myself but to be trapped inside such a less armored part of the ship...because they can put armor there or personel, but both?
I can't fully understand such a poorly formed and rambling sentence, but it looks like you're making judgements about the characteristics of the design and components again, which we've already established is not your forte.
Looking at the clawmarks these wings are just about 1 deck high..not very much space left for armor.
To my knowledge, in WC, ships armor is rated in equivalencies, not actual amounts. So you couldn't tell me exactly how much armor is on that part of the ship, since you don't know.

And in any case, that's how the ship is. It's not up for debate, though you seek to debate it relentlessly anyway. The ship looks how it looks and is arranged how it is arranged, and changing that is foolish because it's willfull inaccuracy.

I can think of a half dozen possible reasons for some ships to have 'fins':

- To hold sensor packages. Want to scan the area or send comms and laserlinks? You want a vantage point with the most available space.

- Atmospheric travel: It's mentioned in WC1, for instance, that the Kilrathi dock their Ralari in planet-based shipyards.

- Shield generators: Want a 'bubble' around your ship? You need a set of emitter points in areas 'higher' than the ships centerline.

- To stabilize the engines: contrary to popular belief, there is an amount of drag in space... especially when travelling at thousands of kph.

- Munitions storage: Too little space for people? I'm not sure how you'd know - but there's plenty of room for stacking up missiles (or food, or water, or hyrdogen, or any of the things you need to cram into a spaceship to survive...).

- 'Intakes': Your ship needs a point to generate its electromagnetic ramscoop.

- Weapon Mounts: The Gilgamesh-class, for instance, has the same 'red emitters' on top of its 'fins' as it does on the end of its 'tubes'.

Actually, that was more than half a dozen - and it's also worth pointing out that it isn't just WC1 and 2 ships that have 'fins' - the Midway class has two sets, for instance.

gevatter Lars said:
Mh Concordia gets her best ideas when LOAF grumbles about here...LOAF do more...get here realy mad maybe then we get realy good designs ^_^

*busts out laughing* Actually, I've learned to ignore people yelling at me. I've gotten yelled at and teased so much in my 25-years that I've developed a tune-out option.

Well just joking....

I know ;-)

I have just also taken a look at the original design and well...its to flat, don't you think?
I mean where do they supose to place quarters when most of the space is allready taken up by the engines....well since logic dosn't count for SF lets just wait...maybe conny will get something better then the last Pic...even if its a good start it had to be a more...well clearer drawing.

That's a good point... at least with the larger wings I came up with some of them can be stashed in the wings, and there is some area just below the bridge and in the prongs somewhat. If I can get a creative moment and make a 3d-model on TS, I might be able to figure out where crew spaces are supposed to be.

While we are on the changing topic...does anyone knows what these vibrators on the Gilgamesh are good for?

LMAO. Actually, I had thought about that before, and my best conclusion is engines...

Let's actually evaluate the whole package. The ships need to slow down, and while ramscoops help somewhat, reverse thrust helps also. I was thinking of having some reverse engines right there. Granted having them far out on the centerline is a bit weird considering a thrust asymmetry would produce large yaw, but considering that they don't look very big the yaw could potentially be the same as one of the main engines cutting out.

The rear portion of the engines could be basically to add an extra kick of thrust. Not like afterburners, but let's just say the main engines could only produce 200 kps worth of speed, and those other 4 engines (rear-portion) can produce an extra 50 kps, producing a total of 250 kps.

I would recommend shortening them a little bit.

If not I would realy say...cut them out. The design looks quite good without these things.

Actually, I used to feel the way you did. But eventually I got used to them.

Here Pic for those who don't remember the look.
wc2gilgamesh.jpg

I don't know why, but I like that ship. Maybe it's its sleek, yet capship-ish look.

-Concordia

Last edited by a moderator:
psych said:
Sorry Concordia, but you won't apply your changes to the WC Saga mod nor will you take away my job as the WC Saga Technical Advisor. (and Lars, don't even think about having another "poll" in the dev forum like you've been doing lately) Unlike you . . . I actually give a shit about WC. Now piss off.

Is that a threat?

Either way Psych, I don't want your job... If I Recall Correctly, my job was Quality Control. I don't want to "Take" your job or "Replace" you. I know the idea is repulsive to you, but I am willing to work alongside you... actually I'm willing to work with almost anybody (just don't bite my head off, threaten to kill me, promise to kill me, call me stupid, or crazy, or chew me out like I'm in boot-camp-- I'm not a soldier: I'd have been court-martialled six ways from Sunday if I was). And, in addition to jobs, I didn't ask for my position, Tolwyn (Mr. Romanyuk) wondered if I would be interested in it and I was. If you feel so inclined as to make a stink, don't blame me entirely for something that is not entirely my fault.

You have a lot more knowledge in certain departments in WC than I do, and you are very valuable source of WC-related knowledge, you should help people who don't know as much as you out rather than call them an ass-clown, or some insult (It's 8:23 in the morning, and I've been up 63 1/2 hrs to possibly 64-hrs, and I don't exactly know the whole list of insults you've hurled out over the years). Of course, I don't expect you to listen to my advice, and you'll probably figure out a way to justify your own view that insulting them is the right way. Hey, my sleep-deprived brain isn't working as well as it normally is so I can't figure out what that reason may be. I don't even know why I'm saying it.

You know, I knew a lot of kids like you in when I went to school. They were cool, and were in a position of popularity that most kids could only dream of. Instead of helping the less fortunate unpopular kids for whatever reason it may be, to be popular, they instead treated them like they were trash and cut into them with all sorts of insults. It's like they got some sick pleasure out of tormenting other kids with the nearly assured guarantee that nobody would stop them or stick up for the poor kid.

-Concordia

Double-posting makes Frosty get stabby-stabby in your fucking facey-facey. Yes that's a threat.

Don't know what but something makes me laugh at this point.... :D
When I ever find out what I will let you know.

Beside that did you know that Eskymos had 26 words for snow? Amazing isn't it?

-> Just to show how far you got me...will now go back to my drawing board or maybe paint some of my BT minis.

Oh has anyone stats for the...*searches note*... the Eagle-class (a)CVE carrier?
Maybe with a small discription?

You can write fuck? I didn't know that... Otherwise bypassing a swear filter is definitely a bad thing...

And Concordia, You got Psych all wrong in the profiling department :) Treating people like that's Frosty's job. Psych's cool when You get to know him.

I rescind my previously offensive comments towards Frosty and encourage all present to acknowledge his greatness.

Last edited by Frosty on 11-11-2003 at 18:34.

WildWeasel said:
I rescind my previously offensive comments towards Frosty and encourage all present to acknowledge his greatness.

Your words have moved me Weasel. Frosty, you're fucking amazing

Aaaah, someone got kicked? And I missed it! I was out popping popcorn!

Attempting to being this back on topic... I kind of do think the Ralari is a useless cap ship design. 90% of the ship seems uninhabitable. What are all the thin wing sections for? Heat dissipation? Can't someone do a SW:Tech Manuals like extrapolation of how thick these structures really are? Because to me they look rather puny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back