WC Workshop Online

Also Chartbuster #16 had an unofficial addon of 48 mission for Wing Commander. Did anyone ever get this to work? If so HOW???
Among other thing it included a save game editor. I believe I sent it to you with the other files I sent you, delMar.

Whoa, I must have missed this. 48 missions you say? What is this chart buster you speak of?

Thanks.

It was a freeware disk that was released in the UK in 1997. I found in on ebay a while back ago but I never had enough time to figure out how to us it. It would have to be run in Dosbox now days.
The whole disk is only 10mb but I'm blocked from uploading it here and I don't have any web space to share it on.

Last edited:
It was a freeware disk that was released in the UK in 1997. I found in on ebay a while back ago but I never had enough time to figure out how to us it. It would have to be run in Dosbox now days.
The whole disk is only 10mb but I'm blocked from uploading it here and I don't have any web space to share it on.

Thanks, do you know if any copyrights exist or laws regarding its distribution?

If it's legal to redistribute it, and we can find a way for you to get it online I'm sure we can have a look at getting it working. That is providing that your disks from 1997 are still working of course :D

If it was distributed freeware or shareware then I don't see any issues in hosting it. If it's only 10 MB you could probably actually just email it to someone. I think Gmail inboxes accept at least 20MB.

Among other thing it included a save game editor. I believe I sent it to you with the other files I sent you, delMar.
Yes, I remember.
I used the savegame editor as a reference for creating my own (now broken, though) one.
I'll bring that online again, thanks for the hint.

There was something about that mission addon that kept me from taking a deeper look into it... maybe it was just that I wasn't able to get it to work either...
I might find the time to dig in this evening...

If it was distributed freeware or shareware then I don't see any issues in hosting it. If it's only 10 MB you could probably actually just email it to someone. I think Gmail inboxes accept at least 20MB.
Gmail actually blocks it from from being sent, even if it is zipped. I had this problem with gmail before when I was trying to send the Germans SO episodes to wcnews to host. I can send it to you be hosted here if you can PM me a none gmail address.

I wasn't able to find anything about a Chartbuster freeware CD from the UK on Google.
The .zip file with 48 missions is just 35 kilobytes. Would anyone mind if we uploaded it here to this thread?

Taking a short look into the files, I can't see how they should be used...
They look a little bit like savegames, because they start with a string.
But then, they are 2 kb in size each, not 1 kb (like savegames in WC really are).

Could it be that there was a tool on the CD originally, which kind of patched those mission files into the real game files?

There was probably an exe file that will have to be run in Dos Box. I don't remember if I sent you the whole thing delMar. (It has been almost a year. ;D) Was the whole thing around 10mb zipped?

Yes, you sent me the whole thing. About 11 MB.
There's lots of stuff on it, tools and trainers from WC1 to WC4.
Unfortunately, the missions directory does not contain any exe files that would allow for patching, injecting or doing whatever with those mission files.
The zip also contains information that the CD contains Shareware, Freeware and Public Domain software.
AFAIK, all of those three flavors of software allow for free distribution, that's why I'll just upload the files here.
I hope that's fine for all of you.
Mods, please feel free to remove it.

Btw: all you guys know about the custom WC missions made by Omega, right?

Attachments

• MISSIONS.zip
    34.3 KB · Views: 139
Are Omega's missions the ones where he managed to import WC2 ships into WC1?

I remember vaguely a custom campaign where you fly a Ferret off the Tiger's Claw. Alas cockpits weren't converted, and for me, flying a Ferret with a Hornet cockpit is the same as flying a Hornet with Mass Drivers :)

Maybe you two could work together?
Yes, what was published recently is really able to do everything the workshop was expected to become able of.
Provided the right kind of interface, it should be an easy one to connect UnnamedCharacter's to any type of user interface, or at least to create a stand-alone UI that outputs the according XML files.

Yes, what was published recently is really able to do everything the workshop was expected to become able of.
Provided the right kind of interface, it should be an easy one to connect UnnamedCharacter's to any type of user interface, or at least to create a stand-alone UI that outputs the according XML files.
That sounds very promising! :D

delMar, I've attached a PDF showing an order of facial features in the WCII files. I imagine if this was done for WC1 this would help to figure out the code.
Just a thought.

Attachments

• WC2 People.pdf
    338.3 KB · Views: 132
delMar, unlike WC2 all the character facial animations are in the same file. However the animations are all in the same order for each character. I'm thinking the code with all the speech text is the facial animation. What do you think?

Attachments

• Talking.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 134
I wanted to mention that the previously attached MISSIONS.zip file contains Wing Commander Academy mission files. They seem to have a completely custom format.

Back