WC Web Comic

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Well not exactly what sure to title this but thought I'd take a stab at a little Wing Commander humor. It was more difficult to do then I thought it would be. I know I'm not that great of a cartoonist but it sure was a lot of fun to make. I have some ideas for some other strips but I'm still working on those. Should give me the opportunity to practice though! If anyone has any ideas feel free to email them to me at daniel.goodwin@mchsi.com.

comicstrip.jpg

Great start Maj.Striker!

If you don't mind, could you briefly explain the production process after the strip idea is formed? Do you draw and colour the strip with pen and paper and then scan it or just draw the outline and then scan and paint on the pc? Or do you just use Photoshop for the whole process?

Cheers,

BrynS

Thanks for the feedback guys. First to answer BrynS' questions. The process is like this, 1. I make a pencil sketch of the characters or seen that is as detailed as I can make it (which typically isn't all that good :( ). I then take a black pen or fine point marker and then trace the outline and make it into a line art type looking thing. (BTW this one I did on the back of scrap printer paper at work). After I do that I erase all the pencil detail from the picture leaving only the black ink lines. I then use my digital camera (Panasonic FZ30 or something like that) and I use the flash to take a picture of the drawing. Why? Because I'm so cheap I don't have a digital scanner... I then import the picture into Photoshop. I select the auto color option and then use the color select tool to eliminate everything but the black lines. I then darken those lines and use that as my outline and proceed to color it within Photoshop. Its a bit longer of a process than I would have thought initially but I need practice anyway.

More? I may have another one done somewhere... :)

Thanks for the info, Maj.Striker.

I could be wrong, but I think even the Penny Arcade guys essentially use a similar process for their strips, i.e. hand-drawn outlines which are then scanned and coloured in an imaging package.

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
I could be wrong, but I think even the Penny Arcade guys essentially use a similar process for their strips, i.e. hand-drawn outlines which are then scanned and coloured in an imaging package.

The Penny Arcade guy talks about his tablet thing that allows him to draw directly into his computer.

ChrisReid said:
The Penny Arcade guy talks about his tablet thing that allows him to draw directly into his computer.

A WACOM brand tablet, and when traveling a tablet PC, IIRC.

t.c.cgi said:
A WACOM brand tablet, and when traveling a tablet PC, IIRC.

I have a wacom tablet that I can draw with...I however find it rather lacking when compared to a real pencil and paper. I use it for coloring the pictures, it's quite adept for that. For the actual sketching portion though, I use pencil and pen.

I was going to wait to post this one but since I'm leaving on vacation all next week I figured I can go ahead and put up the next one.

comicstrip2.jpg

This isn't really anything serious, or even an especially noteworthy issue, but why quotes around what they say? Speech bubbles kinda cover that whole "this is what they're saying" thing, I'd think. :)

Back