WC:T Dralti mk2

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
well, a new addition to WC:T the dralti mk2:

hope you like my fighter design this time ;)

d1.jpg

yup. i have to agree. the guns are wrong, as is the cockpit. its actually wider, and the cockpit is slightly more bulbous as well. the engines should be a touch shorter as well. the texture job is really great. good work there. i'd suggest checking out Howard Days Dralthi Model, it is hands down one of the best Dralthis around. its insanely accurate as well. should help you out.

i'm currently working on that problem, chris ;)

as for the guns, well, i actually did that on purpose. the fighters won't have missiles in WCT(fighters can't have them) and as the dralti is heavily relying on them, i boosted its strength a bit so it can stand up to the rapier.
also, it did have gattlings in the movie, and the mass drivers of the raptor are listed on clawmarks as gattlings

Chevieblazer said:
i boosted its strength a bit so it can stand up to the rapier.

WTF! That's what origin did, originally. I'm not sure you want to boost the boosted fighter. It can still take out hornets and scimtars. Why not let the gratha take care of the rapier?

well. there won't be ALL fighters in the game. we'll have a light, medium and heavy fighter and a bomber. and before you start screaming, that's 300% the fighters that nexus has originally!

the confed fighters will be the hornet, rapier and raptor, then the kilrathi get the salti, dralti and jalti.
i could have taken the gratha instead of the dralti, but...well, it just isn't the kilrathi without the dralti. i mean it's the one fighter that flew in every wc game. (in differnt versions, but still)

so, as there won't we any missiles(since it can't be done)that leaves the dralti 2 mass drivers against the rapier dual neutron guns plus lasers. it's still just got mass drivers, but those will now fire a lot faster ;)

Okay - looks like a good start - one thing that stands out in a really bad way to me are the pipes on the tops of the wings. They look really wierd - anything that big should be modeled, not textured. They end up looking really bad. Anyhow, I'd ditch 'em if you don't want to model them - they're not on any of the ships from WC.
Anyhow - if you want reference:
Dralthi.jpg

Howie

no, there aren't. and i took your dralti as a template for the most part. however, i do have a d-2 and it does have those tumes, which is why i used them, too

Well, that's not from any game. I don't ever recall seeing anything like that in any game/book/tv show/movie/etc ever. That's obviously a fan model that has no basis in anything canon. If you're tring to duplicate an existing model, you work from the source - not others imitations of the source. (that goes for my model as well - I took many liberties in creating detail that was never seen or concieved) Otherwise you end up with something like what you've got here. It's a decent model - good textures and a good use of polys - but it bares only a passing resemblence to the real thing. If you don't want to shoot for the real thing, that's fine - no problems from me.

well, the "real" dralti was about 20 by 20 pixels, so every model, be relatively low poly like mine or high poly enough to be source art like yours, adds new detail. but i get the idea and won't use tubes on fighter wings again ;)

To Chevieblazer
You dralti is so good fo nexus. I am take yopur letter and send an answer later. Time is wery low.
My experience in 3d modeling is not so good, but i'm stading...
Sorry about my english - so many year sins i am use it...

Well, Chevie, even a cursory examination of the original 20x20 sprite would show that those tubes aren't there. As well as showing that many of the details, shapes, and proportions that you're using on your ship are just plain wrong. If you need further detail, I suggest the Claw Marks manual for further clarification. They're mostly accurate. Anyhow, just because someone makes a model does not make it canon or even worthy of imitation. If I could count the number of bad hornet models that just plain don't look ANYTHING like the actual ship....man. There are a few good ones, of course, but the majority look like they were made from the memory of what the ship looked like. Anyhow - Like I said, I've got no problem if you don't want to use the original - that's fine.

Back