WC: Sins of Solar Empire Conversion

OK. So news so far, we are trying to run one of the first, retextured models in the game engine, with no luck. However we've got the Producer, Blair Fraser to help us, so we are on the track with the models. It's most frustrating that even when following a modding tutorial/supplement from the team, to every last dot, the textures won't show up.

Coding wise, we've managed to lift some of the engine hardcode and we can now implement more then 2 types of fighters/bombers on a carrier. I'm currently trying to get experience enabled on the fighters so the more experience the pilot is, the better.

Each problem we solve, the faster the work gets done.

Question; are you guys still looking for 2D artists? I'd be interested in helping. If so, what kind of 2D art do you need?

My main site is here, and my [outdated] deviantart portfolio is here.

I love Sins, so I'd be glad to help out on this project. I've done voice acting for several Wing Commander mods and videos, so that's probably the best I can help with.

Great to hear the support guys! I will send You a PM in 24h from the timestamp of this post. I'm currently dead busy with 3D stuff, so the websites content is still zero-to-none, however not only that happened. Our current Concept Artist was hired at Travelers Tales, and his talking about the project with the guys who where previously working on WC. I love good coincidences!
We need all the support we can get!

tag
if this come to completion it might push me into getting Sins. The stock game looks good but I've never been a huge RTS fan, I prefer turn based, so I've been holding off on getting this. Plus I still haven't played through the plot of Galactic Civilizations 2.

I tried to make a Vega-sektor map. Its quite a mess and I only used planets. Distance between the planets is very large and...well I just clicked in a few planets and wanted to see if it works.

If anyone wants the map to work with it he can have it. I think it has little less then 20 planets. All named and roughly placed after the Prophecy map.
McAuliffe is one starting point the other is Freya.

Again its not complete and buggy has hell but its a start. Maybe I will work in it myself in the future but as with everything I start its not that likely.

As mentioned in the last post I have worked on a basic map of the Vega sector.
I would like some infos on this. What planets do we know of in the different systems?
For example I think Vega had at least 2 habitable planets.

Is there any other information about the different Vega Sector?

Quick question - Going back to the weapons, I've taken a quick look at the game and modding capabilities, I haven't had the chance to dive into it atm, so I was wondering, would it be possible for different weapons for each ship, - Hornet Lasers, Banshee Lasers, etc. That way upgrading each individually would be much easier. I see changing the research trees is easy enough, this would definately increase the size of one of those trees however, since you would have a different weapon to upgrade for each ship... Assuming it's possible at all. - Oh, and Galaxy Forge looks awesome... Simple, but extremely effective!

I wish for a "pin at position" option. When createing a map I mostly take care of the placement first but when you click on them again you might move them instead of just getting the stats. Also zooming should get a small overwork. Currently it seams to be fixed at the top left corner instead of the center or a point of your choise. Basicly it should have the same mechanic as the game inself where zooming in and out goes very smooth.

I haven't played around with it to much so far but I agree its a quite powerfull tool for createing maps.

As or your question about weapons. I don't think that it makes much sense to give Hornets and Banshees different lasers. If you advance in Lasertech both should be upgraded the same way. I would keep chassis and weapons seperated.
You could invest time and money into the development of better laser weapons or try and develop the Banshee chassie that has more hitpoints and more lasers then the Hornet. Both should balance out the other.
Still I would prefere to advance tech more liniar. With the development of the Ferret/Epee the Hornet becomes obsolet and they get replaced by the Arrow/Banshee and so on.
(Based on the apperance in the games not by the books date of entry)

Keep things simple in the techtree so the player can focus himself on the action and strategie/tactical part.
In my opinion that makes more fun then figuring out what to build next over and over again.
For that sake I might even go so far to limit the techtree to just one timeline.

Ok Guys, it was a while since I posted a summary on the project, so here it is, I'll keep it short.
We are done for the december release... except the art department. We have most of the music, all of the programming/effects done with beta gameplay in place, but more then 30 different 3d/2d artists have failed to live up to their vows to help. We still look for XSI / 2d skilled people to help out with the UI and the Models [ XSI ], so if You know any, keep me informed. In the following days, I will upload some of the soundtrack for You to listen to [ believe me, it's epic! ], and keep your fingers crossed - there is NOT much work to do - we need a skilled person in XSI to configure the models we have [ cheers Saga DevTeam ] to be fitted in the engine. Thanks for the long-lasting support, and don't be afraid to chat to me on MSN. I hope we will all have a WC Christmas.

Wow! just stumbled across this mod thread while purusing the CIC forums. This sounds great, ive been a huge fan of Wing Commander since WC1, and Sins is just awesome. Ive always felt WC could lend itself well to the RTS/TBS genres, and im psyched to see someone taking action with the idea. Armada was fine, but not very epic. felt more Tactical than rtS/tbS.

Anyways, hope the beta comes out soon! Best of luck!

I've been playing Sins like crazy lately, so I can't wait to try this out. If you still need voices, just PM me.

I've been playing Sins like crazy lately, so I can't wait to try this out. If you still need voices, just PM me.

I know, Your voice is great Goku, but currently I'm heavily working on gaining a thrustworthy 2d/3d artist or two. Seeing we have problems with art departament, we may end up with voice acting being publish in january.

I haven't read the whole thread (so please don't temblar bomb me), but I had an idea about the tech era problem.

I liked Eders ideas, but thought that maybe you could take it a bit further.
Could you not make 5/6 races? Confed and Kilrathi for Wc1/2 eras, same again for Wc3/4 eras and then The Nephilm (and possibly confed).

You could differentiate between their obvious tech disparity by simply making the WC1/2 era ships less to construct and support.

I haven't read the whole thread (so please don't temblar bomb me), but I had an idea about the tech era problem.

I liked Eders ideas, but thought that maybe you could take it a bit further.
Could you not make 5/6 races? Confed and Kilrathi for Wc1/2 eras, same again for Wc3/4 eras and then The Nephilm (and possibly confed).

You could differentiate between their obvious tech disparity by simply making the WC1/2 era ships less to construct and support.

We may, but with our current zero-to-none art capabilities ( we have currently one person who's working on the art in his spare time ), we can't. Currently we are narrowing the first release to Confed, Militia and Kilrathi. And yes, we are still stuck with 3d/2d ( with the one person i mentioned ).

What 3d prog is needed? I did some Maya years back. I don't promise anything, but I suppode I could see what I can achieve.

Back