WC:P and SO engines

Manboy

Rear Admiral
I know its more of a technical question but I was just interested in knowing what the differences are between the engines of Prophecy and Secret ops....
The reason I ask is because I was just playing SO with the high-res patch and it really does make it look a shitload better than in its defult resolution.
I was just wondering would it be hard to alter the code to make it compatible with Prophecy?

Prophecy and Secret Ops have the same engine, just like Armada and WC3. Secret Ops just had better tuned graphics.

I have the "Austraila, New Zealand and South Pacific" version of WCP and on the screenshots the colours of the fighters and weapon bolts are totally different to those in the game (There's a screenshot where a Vampire shoots four bolts which look like the Pulse Particles from SOPS at a Stingray). Plus a Moray with red painting.

I don't think it is possible to get WCP look like these screenshots.

But SOPS looks like the screenshots from my WCPGold package (which is the American version).

It's my understanding that they sort of castrated WC:p before they released it. Those are pre-Gold shots.

I have the Australasian version too - one of those screenshots is on the front page of http://www.wingcommander.com/. Hey, if you look at the face in the comm camera, it looks like Seether. :)

Anyway, from what I know, all the packaging and manuals etc were printed before the game was finished, so effectively I've got all these screenshots of WCP in development.

I actually don't like the way they changed the lighting in SO - everything is so dark when you're fighting with the shadow side of ships facing you. This, even when gamma correction is at maximum. Occasionally I'd crash into the shadowy edge of the Cerberus because I can't see it's there. :(

When I bought the game I was impressed by the screen shots that were on the box, but when I started to play it, I was really disappointed. I thought that it was a problem with my computer but then, when I got it upgraded it was the same. So I was just wondering if it did get any better and looked like the screen shots on the box. Also, the layout is different on the version that we have over here. I'll see if I can get a screen shot for you.

Hmm, there's not *that* much of a difference between the game (in 3Dfx mode) and the screenshots on the box -- just different textures for the guns and such. Your problem is probably your video card (or your video card settings).

Yes, with 3dfx WCP just looks great. I was more than pleasantly surprised when I played the game.
Without, it looks rather bad.

I think it looks okay with Direct3D HAL as well. Mind you I've never played it with 3DFX. I've seen it, but not played it extensively.
In software, I think WC4 looks better!

Originally posted by LeHah
Prophecy and Secret Ops have the same engine, just like Armada and WC3. Secret Ops just had better tuned graphics.

I'm shtumped, here: If Armada & WC3 have the same engine, why do the combat graphix look so different?

For one, space is black (like it should be) in Armada, whereas WC3 had space being blue (and not nearly *dark* enough at that!)

Secondly, the graphics are somewhat better in Armada; ships look much more metallic than in WC3 (which they should), and shield effects when ships are hit were also more realistic-looking.

I read somewhere that both came out in '94: Could it be that WC3 came out *first*, so that when when Armada was later released, they had polished up the engine so it was better looking and more realistic?...

The fact that WC4 had combat graphics closer to Armada's seems to lend credence to this idea, but can anyone tell us for sure what the deal is here?.... :confused:

I don't know what happened! I went into User CP, and I fiddled with this drop-down menu labeled 'Style Set' and changed it to Red... well long story short, now all the colors are different - I MUST BE AT A DIFFERENT WEB BOARD!

just go back to user cp and change style set back to 'teal' or 'blue' and save changes, i quite like red myself.

....or maybe you are on a Kilrathi CZ:eek:

You should know by now that Frosty enjoys dishing out sarcasm. ;)

Armada and WC3 might use the same engine, but everything else could be very different. Also, Armada can only be played in 320x200 resolution, so that might contribute to how different you see the two games.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
In software, I think WC4 looks better!
That's a bit harsh. WC4 textures always look so grainy to me. I first played WCP in software mode, and that looked so smooth to me. Admittedly, I've never even seen WCP in 3Dfx, but I thought the only bonus it has above Direct3D was the fogging feature.

Isn't 3DFX basically an older version of OpenGL?

I personally love the D3D graphics... I have no interest in ever using a 3DFX card. They're on the way out anyway. I don't have the processor for the higher detail levels though. :(

I remember I bought one of the earlier 3dFX cards called Monster 3d by Diamond(now S3 I believe). Anyway this was when 3d acceleration was fairly new and I only bought it so I could play Shadows of the Empire, turned out to be a pretty smart move as it improved the quality of almost every game I played afterwards. I kinda liked it, it never gave me any problems unlike alll the video cards I've had since.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I've never even seen WCP in 3Dfx, but I thought the only bonus it has above Direct3D was the fogging feature.
WCP in 3Dfx ROCKS!... Try it sometime. Voodoo may be on it's way out, but for those games that can play in that mode, it blows away the competition, in my experience thus far...

Originally posted by Human Traffic
press ctrl and left or right to make the graphics brighter or darker in WC3 i think!
That's what I did. At Max darkness, it's STILL too light; that's my beef about it...

Originally posted by Wedge009
You should know by now that Frosty enjoys dishing out sarcasm. ;)
Oh, believe me, I know....I've been, uh, "frosted" by his sardonic wit once or twice m'self. But I didn't think it was present in that particular passage.

++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++

Looky here, another "3 in 1" POST! Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhh!... :D

Back