WC:P and SO engines

The trouble with zero gamma correction in WC3 is that, while space is black, I find everything else to be too dark. Turning off gamma correction is handy when you're in a nebula, though.

Originally posted by Preacher
WCP in 3Dfx ROCKS!... Try it sometime.
What made you think I had a choice in not having 3Dfx?

Originally posted by Wedge009
What made you think I had a choice in not having 3Dfx?
Because it's silly to assume that you were assigned a video card or something.

Really, Frosty, you wouldn't want to know my situation. Effectively I have been 'assigned' a video card - and I'm grateful for it! Since D3D is better than software in most aspects.

So essentially what you're saying is you don't have the necessary 10 bucks for a Voodoo2. Gotcha.

Originally posted by Wildshot
I remember I bought one of the earlier 3dFX cards called Monster 3d by Diamond(now S3 I believe). Anyway this was when 3d acceleration was fairly new and I only bought it so I could play Shadows of the Empire, turned out to be a pretty smart move as it improved the quality of almost every game I played afterwards. I kinda liked it, it never gave me any problems unlike alll the video cards I've had since.

I bought the same and I was very happy about it. Though I only bought it to play WCP. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's a bit harsh. WC4 textures always look so grainy to me. I first played WCP in software mode, and that looked so smooth to me. Admittedly, I've never even seen WCP in 3Dfx, but I thought the only bonus it has above Direct3D was the fogging feature.
My main gripe about WCP in software, [edit: what the hell is that comma doing there? Dramatic pause?] was the shields. The shields are just made to look nice because of the blur effect caused by bilinear filtering. Without it, it just looked bad.
At least in software the stars didn't appear in front of ships, and since there was no light (I mean the read/green etc. nebula-glow effect) the stupid bug that it was visible in the launch bay is not present as well.

Originally posted by Unforgiven

(..)and since there was no light (I mean the read/green etc. nebula-glow effect) the stupid bug that it was visible in the launch bay is not present as well.

Uhnm yea. Sir, we have a hole in the launch bay doors, so some of the nebular gasses have seeped intothe launch tube. so its gonna look all red and green like.

YYeah, that bug was a trifle interesting. Maybe it was that way on pourpose though?

Originally posted by Zor Prime

Uhnm yea. Sir, we have a hole in the launch bay doors, so some of the nebular gasses have seeped intothe launch tube. so its gonna look all red and green like.

YYeah, that bug was a trifle interesting. Maybe it was that way on pourpose though?
I don't think so. I have some Direct3D programming experience, so let me tell you the following on why I think it was like that:
Most 3D systems (at least Direct3D and 3DS(max)) know 4 (or more) types of light: ambient, directional, spot and point.
Ambient is omnipresent and comes from all directions. Every point in 3D space is equally well lit by it.
Spot is a spotlight. It casts a cone of light in one direction.
Omni casts light in all direction.
Directional is like ambient in that it's everywhere, but it comes from one direction.
Spot and omni are rarely used, because it would require recalculating the hit angle of the 'light beam' for every point of an object, and also the decay rate (if any). It is very computationally intensive.
Prophecy's lighting effects are clearly two directional lights. Two different colours in opposite directions.
Now no light casts shadows by default in any 3D system, because ambient doesn't cast shadows by it's very nature, and the others are computationally intensive.
So they would've either needed to turn the light on not before you left the lauch bay (which would be visible), or sacrifice performance (not good) or make a shadow map (a lot of work).
So they probably just hoped nobody would notice.
Too bad! :D

*L* well, the launch tube is worse off than the landing bay... the landing bay doors are open as you land. But it's never bothered me.

Perhaps you'd care to try landing with the doors closed? ;)

Originally posted by Unforgiven
At least in software the stars didn't appear in front of ships, and since there was no light (I mean the read/green etc. nebula-glow effect) the stupid bug that it was visible in the launch bay is not present as well.
I never thought about the 'light inside the launch tube' thing, but having stars/lens flares show from behind capships always seemed a bit silly to me.

*L* no, I just meant that since the landing bay doors are open, the ambient light could find its way into the bay. :)

I want to program a WC fanfilm using the WCP engine. Anyone got any tips on how I can achieve that? Just like the JediKnight COGer!

Well, a good first step is to contact the JK COGer. :)

I'm trying to do a Max Payne MOD and trust me, you need to stick to talking to the gaming message boards. People will really help you out for COGs and MODs and editing.

Also, try hitting Jedi Knight.Net

Originally posted by Saturnyne
I just meant that since the landing bay doors are open, the ambient light could find its way into the bay.
<Smacks head> Of course, that's what you meant. They must have got the lighting the wrong way around. :)

Back