WC on GBA?

Do you think its a good idea? Would you buy a copy if it was made?

• Great idea! I have a GBA and I'd definately buy it .

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Great idea! I'd buy a GBA just for this game.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Good idea.....but I would'nt pay for it.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Stupid idea.......lay off the drugs, weirdo....

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
I'd probably agree, either a PC one (which I would prefer) or at least a system like the Gamecube/X-box/PS2 would be a much better platform than a GBA. Although, if one did come out for the GB, I'd get it-after all, it IS a new WC! :)

Originally posted by LeHah
Why do you want a WC console game? Wouldn't you rather a PC one?

I totally agree. Wing Commander could only reach its full potential on a PC. Consoles are too limited (look at the poor WC4 port for PSX... ugh). So far, the only system that has ported a Wing Commander game well is 3DO (WC3... but the terrible polys are an eyesore nowadays).

I want a new Wing Commander game, oh yeah... but on the PC :cool:

However, on this poll, I'd say that I'd buy WC for my GBA... only because its Wing Commander and has MP potential!

Frosty, of course it makes sense. With a PC you have no limits to what you can make. Although it would be costly to upgrade a PC to meet a new Wing Commander game's standards, there truly is no limit to a new WC game but technology.

On a console, you only have so much of a processor speed to work with, only so many polygons to generate at a time, only so much to store on the DVD/CD alone.

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Frosty, of course it makes sense.
No, it really doesn't...
With a PC you have no limits to what you can make. Although it would be costly to upgrade a PC to meet a new Wing Commander game's standards, there truly is no limit to a new WC game but technology.
First you say PCs have no limits, and then you mention a limit. And what's this "No limit but technology?" Are you even listening to yourself? That's the same limit that holds console games back. The processing technology, for both systems, will eventually peak out. Each one has its performance limit. At the moment, game consoles have a migh higher limit.
On a console, you only have so much of a processor speed to work with, only so many polygons to generate at a time, only so much to store on the DVD/CD alone.
And on a PC, you have a maximum processor speed limit, and a maximum polygon output capacity, and since they use the same DVDs as consoles do, they suffer those limitations too.

At the moment, the X-Box, by virtue of its superior nVidia architecture, could run circles around any Wintel machine you can come up with, no contest. Once nVidia releases the nForce motherboards and the NV25 video chipset, PCs will have a bit more breathing room, and, because of their expandability, will have a higher top end.

But all the arguments to come up with to prove how PCs are more powerful than their game console counterparts are stupid. All you do is rehash one side's technological shortcomings, conveniently forgetting that they apply to both camps.

Like I said, that "full potential" BS doesn't make sense.

Lol :)
You gotta remember most consoles end up releasing new control systems, eg keyboards and mice when it becomes neccessary so thats not actually a limit apart from for the GBA. And there are limits on how a company will let you make the specs :)

My question is, who would spend $50 for a Sony-made keyboard for the PS2 when a) they already spent $300 for the PS2 and; b) Sony's probably going to abandon the PS2 a year or so from now for a PS3?

Wow....acording to some of you guys , I belong in rehab.....:)

I know that the button thing is an issue but as Kris has shown us , it is possible. There just has to be some sacrafices though.
Plus I think that there is a game currently in development thats similar to WC in the way its played ( first-person flight-sim ) , I think its a port of an old SNES game but im not too sure. We'll just wait and see how they deal with it I guess.

Also dont worry about the small cartridge size.....apparantly theres a conversion of "Broken sword" in the works thats basically the full PC game at a lower resolution. WITH the speech.
I find that hard to belive aswell , but they can do amazing things with compression today......we'll see.

Another thing....we would all obviously prefer to see a new WC game on the PC. That goes without saying.
But what a new WC game on the GBA would do is introduce a new generation to WC . It would also be relativley easier to program than a full PC game as well as costing much much less.
If it was succesful , EA would have a whole new fanbase for WC and in turn it would make sense for them to continue the series.....on all platfroms.

Start small and work your way up........

I agree, although seeing how the Super Nintendo dealt with the original WC... well...

Originally posted by Mav23
I agree, although seeing how the Super Nintendo dealt with the original WC... well...

Trust me Mav....the GBA could handle it graphically fairly well.

Yeah I know.......

Dosent really matter anyhow..... like I said , I was bored and it was my thought for the day.
Still , it would be cool if it was reality.

Originally posted by Manboy
Trust me Mav....the GBA could handle it graphically fairly well.
So could the SNES. The way the game turned out had nothing to do with a lack of power.

I believe the graphics in WC1 SNES were a result of lacking space on the cart, not lacking graphical capability. Hence, the much smaller EGA version of WC1 was ported...

Ive never seen the SNES version and from what Ive been told ,I dont want to either.....
But at least they attempted it.

Well, the SNES version didn't look too far different from the original PC version.

You should try out S*U*P*E*R Wing Commander for the 3DO- it has a very... interesting style to it....

Back