WC Movie Trailer

A chat board, by definition, has no silent majority. (And, of course, 'the super secret people who won't say what they think obviously agree with me!' is probably the dumbest thing to claim, ever.)

So, why doesn't it 'deserve' to be considered? Point out some facts - something other than "I think someone agrees with me!". :)

McGruff said:
Yes, the WC movie was made by the creator of the Wing Commander universe, so I can't say that it is not canon. What I can say however, is that it does not seem to have anything in common with the game series that we all love except character names, therefore it does not deserve to be considered canon

You first state that you can't say WCM isn't canon, in your first statement, and then in the very next one you proceed to say just that. Please, pick a thought and stick with it.

(Never mind that the attempt at illogic, claiming some unnamed and numberless group [usually a group of one referred to in the plural] supports you, is practically an internet cliche nowadays, it's been used so often.)

A hypothetical situation: You go to see the exact same movie but it is not called Wing Commander, the characters are not named Blair, Marshall, and Deveraux, and the enemy aliens are not called the Kilrathi. Now what you have are second rate actors flying cropdusters from a pinging space-submarine and dogfighting with unintelligent monsters that would only be considered catlike in the farthest stretch of the imagination. What WC fan after seeing this movie would say "Wow, that should have been called Wing Commander"?

That makes so little sense on so many levels. :(
I'll just go with one level. Have you seen Episode 1/2? Do all that you just mentioned and see if it belongs in the star Wars universe. Same difference. Wash, rinse, repeat.

C-ya

That doesn't really make any sense - no one goes to a movie and then reviews it by deciding what sci fi franchise they think it should be part of. I don't think anyone reviews... anything... like that.

('2001' is so great, it should have been called 'Star Wars: A Space Odyssey!'! This ham sandwhich is so great, it should be called a ham and cheese sandwhich!)

Viper61 said:
That makes so little sense on so many levels. :(
I'll just go with one level. Have you seen Episode 1/2? Do all that you just mentioned and see if it belongs in the star Wars universe. Same difference. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Given, episodes 1 and 2 were mediocre movies at best, but they did form the foundation on which the first trilogy was based and depicted events that had already been established. In the hypothetical situation, these films would still be easily recognized as Star Wars. I'm just saying that WC movie had so little in common with the games that it didn't feel like it was Wing Commander at all.

Sure it does - it's a movie about a space aircraft carrier fighting space World War II. It has all the same characters (...played by different actors! Oh no! And how many actors did Blair before Hamill? Three or four?), the same situations (Space Pearl Harbor! New pilot grows to be accepted by the crew and then single handedly wins the final mission! Crazy buddy pilot does crazy stuff, but still has a heart of gold. Superior girl pilot is a hardass, but softens in the end. Commanding officer doesn't trust Blair for personal reasons. Etc.)

Bandit LOAF said:
That doesn't really make any sense - no one goes to a movie and then reviews it by deciding what sci fi franchise they think it should be part of. I don't think anyone reviews... anything... like that.

('2001' is so great, it should have been called 'Star Wars: A Space Odyssey!'! This ham sandwhich is so great, it should be called a ham and cheese sandwhich!)

Sure they do - if a Trekkie person goes to see the latest Star Trek movie, there is an expectation that it will have a degree of continuity with the established Star Trek universe. And somehow between the making of 2001 and 2010, they didn't turn the USS Discovery into a WWII style minesweeper.

What ever happened to the campaign to change the name of Kraft macaroni and cheese to Kraft cheese and macaroni? I was all for it. :)

And there's the unfortunate hidden magical past of the protagonist, who has secret magical powers that makes normal people hate him.

Bandit LOAF said:
Sure it does - it's a movie about a space aircraft carrier fighting space World War II. It has all the same characters (...played by different actors! Oh no! And how many actors did Blair before Hamill? Three or four?), the same situations (Space Pearl Harbor! New pilot grows to be accepted by the crew and then single handedly wins the final mission! Crazy buddy pilot does crazy stuff, but still has a heart of gold. Superior girl pilot is a hardass, but softens in the end. Commanding officer doesn't trust Blair for personal reasons. Etc.)

That's just the thing, regardless of the actors, the characters just did not fit. Wasn't the movie Paladin French for god's sake? - and Angel wasn't.

Sure they do - if a Trekkie person goes to see the latest Star Trek movie, there is an expectation that it will have a degree of continuity with the established Star Trek universe. And somehow between the making of 2001 and 2010, they didn't turn the USS Discovery into a WWII style minesweeper.

The ships all look different! And they have rediculous red uniforms!

... Star Trek II, compared to the original series. :)

If you look straight up, you may be able to see the point as it whizzes by. Since, from your perspective, it's travelling several times faster than sound, it will be followed by a sonic boom.

ChanceKell said:
Did it have a trailer for Wing Commander before it?
Yeah, it did. I still remember the first time seeing the trailer. It looked like a cool sci fi movie until I heard someone mention Kilrathi; then I got really really excited. I told all my friends how cool it'd be.

Back