WC Movie Trailer

Quarto said:
I don't think the Star Wars movies are anywhere near that black and white. The good guys also usually use advanced technology, and the primitive cultures in SW are frequently evil.

Iit's not black and white, but a recurring theme. Ewoks vs Stormtroopers, and Gungs vs. Droid Army. Of couse, the light and dark side have use blasters, lightsabers and space fighters.

Quarto said:
That having been said, technophobia as a theme usually does occur in science-fiction rather than elsewhere.

Well, it's no better then when an author workships technology as a quasi-religious solution to all problems. The problem is when you give technology good or evil traits.

Quarto said:
you could hardly have people complaining about the dangers of genetic engineering and robotics in the middle of, say, Master and Commander :).

But you could, perhapsm, on LOTR.

EDIT: Wing Commander IV shows a good example of this. Nanotech has many good aplications, but it can also be used as an terrible weapon. But Nanotech itself is not good or evil.

Gray matter?

The thing about the movie for me is that I had such high expectations for it. The cinematics for Wing Commander 3 and 4 were so incredible that after I had watched the movie I just kept saying to myself, "If only he had done it like the games! Then people would've caught on." I just assumed Roberts was going for a whole new look for Wing Commander. Perhaps to give the WC fans something totally new, or try and appeal to the mainstream audience, who knows. For me, as a movie standing alone, it was a fun film. But as far as it fitting in to the rest of the WC universe and everything I've gotten out of it, I was sorely disappointed in it. That's all I have to say about that for now. Don't get me started on Star Wars. Bleh!

prem37.jpg

(Reads: The latest preview for Star Wars - Episode 1 is being presented with Wing Commander. There will be no refunds after the Star Wars preview has been shown.)

As stolen from https://www.wcnews.com/premiere.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehh, in the case of the games you actually are looking at them through rose colored goggles... the fact that they're low-resolution, highly compressed AVIs tends to hide their serious lack of many production values. :)

Actually, the CGI scenes I got from the WC4 DVD were pretty nice for a nine year old game. But I also really enjoyed the movie CGI, as well.

ft981130.gif

I don't think Movie WC lacked production value. Of course its no Star Wars, but it was just fine. The issues were of a different nature.

And yes, if you watch WCIV DVD on a big screen TV, you'll see that the production value wouldn't be enough for a movie, specially on the CGI (the same goes to Babylon 5). However, the script and acting of some scenes, particularly the senate debate, are surprisingly good and easily surpass anything they had on the movie.

WCIV is okay - though some of it comes off as really cheap (Pliers' workshop, especially...). WC3 looks pretty awful just on tape.

Not cheap looking to me...

For Wing Commander 4, with a budget of only 10 million, I'd say they did pretty good with what they had. Wasn't Plier's workshop supposed to look crappy anyway since the Intrepid hardly had anything to work with. Both the budget of the game and the Intrepid's resources were so limited. It was a good way to work it into the plot that the Border Worlds were poor you know?

The uniforms and even some sets of WCP are better than WCIV. But the acting of WCIV is the best thing you have on computer games, not that there is much competition.

The workshop set wasn't just cheap... it wasn't even a set. :) It was just a big open room with crap piled up around it. You never, ever have a big open room set on a spaceship.

Bandit LOAF said:
WC3 looks pretty awful just on tape.

You wouldn't happen to have, or know where to find, uncompressed WC3 video? It'd be great to see how truely fake it is (and to have people saying how great the visuals are).

You wouldn't happen to have, or know where to find, uncompressed WC3 video?

It's coming! Along with a lot of raw WC4 footage. In the very near future.

Yes, but Malar's happen to be correct.

Would you be willing to support your claim using facts :)?

McGruff said:
Yes, but Malar's happen to be correct.

BanditLOAF said:
Would you be willing to support your claim using facts ?

There are some things that just aren't worth discussing on this board anymore. People's opinions are set in stone, so the long-winded arguments are moot.

My experience is that you can't ever change the opinion of the person you're arguing with - but you can argue well enough to convince the people reading the debate that you are right.

Yes, the WC movie was made by the creator of the Wing Commander universe, so I can't say that it is not canon. What I can say however, is that it does not seem to have anything in common with the game series that we all love except character names, therefore it does not deserve to be considered canon. The silent majority probably agrees with Malar and myself. Looks like I have to resurrect my old signature quote.

Back