WC Mod for ST: Bridge Commander upcoming!

I ran into alot of problems testing the other ships using the original models..

1:Couldnt get engine glows and stuff to work even after trying in 3d max.

2:alot of the original ships were made off center,I tried to correct them and then they flew oddly in the game.

3:was using the old textures for some of the ships,they didnt look good enough in-game.

4:Scaling issues...alot of the ships would not scale correctly to run in Bridge Commander.

5:Alot of the ships caused the game to crash(It was not a python scriting error),errors in the mesh or something..couldnt fix it..

6:Alot of ships did not properly extract from the .IFF file format or convert properly from .IFF to 3Ds.(from .IFF to 3DS to .NIF(old style netimmerse,not the new one).
7:Alot of ships weapons and shields were made too powerfull(requires redoing EVERY single ships hardpoint file..GRR!).

You can still download my original Wing Commander mod from BCFiles.com
I am debating on releasing BETA2 or not with all its bugs(the ones I mentioned)..I have the files packaged, its 37megs all together not including screenshots wich are required when I .zip the file(rules for BCFiles uploads).

As the title says im in the process of making models for a Wing Commander mod for Star Trek Bridge Commander,I will be doing everything I can find from every game WC1,2,3,4,5 including characters(for bridge personell)

So how will this be different from the last project? It seemed like this is similar to what you were trying to do before, but even more ambitious. What will prevent the problems you faced before from stopping you this time?

You can still download my original Wing Commander mod from BCFiles.com
I am debating on releasing BETA2 or not with all its bugs(the ones I mentioned)..I have the files packaged, its 37megs all together not including screenshots wich are required when I .zip the file(rules for BCFiles uploads).

Well, if it's all packed up, why wouldn't you release it? Dropping one project and starting up another tends to lower people's confidence that you'll finish what you're working on, so at least putting something like that out (including the screenshots) would seem to be an important part of having people take your next project seriously.

Its the same project..~~~..didnt drop anything..just didnt want to release it yet with all the bugs..abit undecided on that part...I packed all the ships up and ported them to another computer with a updated Bridge Commander..

I think ill release the BETA 2 and then this next one will be BETA 3 with Graphics improvement probably, with some extra ships..

No offense Chris but everytime you talk to me it comes off as an attack:) ..relax...most people dont understand me anyway...

Its the SAME project,different ship models will be made to replace the ones in-game and then ill revamp the hardpoint files...

Its the same project..~~~..

By the way you wrote your original post and worded the subject of the thread, it sounded like you were making something entirely new. CamKollent was obviously under the same impression.

No offense Chris but everytime you talk to me it comes off as an attack:)

I'm trying to prevent people from being disappointed. There are people who hop from project to project and never finish anything. Everything in your first couple posts sounded like you were doing something like that here, so you should be able to understand my skepticism. I'm glad to hear that's not the case in this situation.

Sorry I did not want to rez my other thread since I havent posted here in abit..been busy.

So posted a new one like ive never even posted here at all

I suppose I could have worded it differntly but didnt think people would remember my previous post about the mod..

We get questions about projects that have been dormant for several years or more. People have a pretty good memory.

So since this is the same project, I don't know that there's necessarily so much urgency to release beta 2. If it's going to be a while before beta 3 is ready, then it definitely wouldn't do any harm to put 2 out. If 3 is very nearly ready, then that might be a reason to just focus on that.

Well ive uploaded it to a temp file hosting site untile it can be put on BCfiles.com

link: http://www.filehosting.cc/?d=44FB7629

This mod is for Bridge Commander,it is not done yet,but it will show people my progress,and I welcome positive feedback about it,I have MUCH to do yet,but ive taken suggestions from many people that want to see what ive done so far...

Things to do still:
I have to make all new models..that arent too high of a poly so they can be ported to milkshape from 3DS and exported into a .NIF.
I need to balance the ships more,ships seem too powerfull after testing them for abit.
(has to do with above post)I need to rehardpoint some weapons arcs and stuff.
I need to script a point defense system(somehow) so the ships act like real Wing Commander ships.
I have to make missions with whole sectors planets,stations etc.
I need to finish the Icons(main ship menu in quickbattle).

Not many hits on the download...but its ok Bridge Commander is hard to find now..the graphics upgrade for it is pretty awsome though and Bridge Commander is highly moddable and it has bridges,if I can figure out how to make them ill make them for my mod aswell...

OK this is a TODO list basically, but ill start off by saying that I know alot of people may not be able to to get Bridge Commander to run this mod, so this is what im going to do..

After im done with the Bridge Commander mod im going to use my same models(when the models are finally done) and make a Wing Commander game using Java and python.

This is what im hoping will be the end result:

2 choices, Wing Commander or Captain at the beginning of the game

The Wing Commander basically leads all the fighter missions, gives orders etc.

The Captain Gets to be on the Bridge of the carrier or whatever cap ship you get assigned to and will give orders on the bridge during combat or other operations depending on the situation.

Back to the realistic damages..shields,engine,weapon,reactor,comm,armor,hull subsystem damage(like Wing 1 and 2), that includes capp ships when your Captain.

Im going to try and have realistic Planets where depending on the fighter/ship you can acctually land on them,flying through the atmosphere etc.

Will cover ALOT of systems to jump to,including uncharted areas,black holes,astroids etc.

All known races will be covered..

Possibly will be able to play any race.

Will most likely be using Softimage graphics engine to enhance the game quality, and the bluecherry plug-in for 3Dmax 8, and the SCI-FI textures pack from 3D Total.

this is just a basic outline of things to do for the game

Ive already made some components for the shield,weapon,reactor subsystems and only a few models so far..

Not sure if this will be something that can be sold or not depending on the quality,and what EA says..ill have to make a 3D demo to show them when im nearly done.

Not many hits on the download...but its ok Bridge Commander is hard to find now..the graphics upgrade for it is pretty awsome though and Bridge Commander is highly moddable and it has bridges

I meant to say earlier that this should be expected. A front page link gets a bunch more downloads than having to go through a file serving site via a forum link.

OK this is a TODO list basically, but ill start off by saying that I know alot of people may not be able to to get Bridge Commander to run this mod, so this is what im going to do..

After im done with the Bridge Commander mod im going to use my same models(when the models are finally done) and make a Wing Commander game using Java and python.

How's work on your Bridge Commander beta 3 going?

Slowly, some of my models have ..errors that ive been working for a week to fix..

Models = 10% done
Scripts = 80% done
Other Component Models like the parts I mentioned above = 90% done, in Bridge Commander the parts wont exactly have any function if attached to a ship so I must attach them into or on the ships and label them with a script saying that that part is a shield subsystem etc..

The hardest part of the modeling thing is getting pictures of the original ship mesh or just pictures into a 3D inverted box with the left side at the back face,front on the left face,back on the right face,top on the bottom face and bottom on the top face in order to properly make the model, and the pictures must all be the same size to line up in the box correctly..

Alot of these ships dont have very good pics so doing alot of them by eye and ending up getting hard to fix errors..

Ok here is one of the nearly completed ships, its a Manta if you cant figure it out:)

Attachments

• Manta Perspective top.jpg
    Manta Perspective top.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Manta Top.jpg
    Manta Top.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 232
Thanks, I added some omni lights in the render and enabled SSE cause I have an Intel CPU..only things I can think of that made it look nice,Ill have to change the colors though when I texture it the colors cant be the same on any object..

I just converted the Stingray to Max and 3DS format - I can throw it up somewhere for all to use if desired...

That is up to you:) , the reason why im redoing all the models is because im going for a higher quality,some of the original models were not working in Bridge Commander properly,I wanted to add my own components, so making slots and stuff in the ships for different components to be inserted or attached to the ships,ill be adding more realistic glows aswell. Im kind of waiting on a program called Zbrush3 to come out(next month) that will help me model and texture these faster and better than max.

Well, this is the original cinematic-quality version we built for the game, along with all the original textures - it's pretty high-poly, so I don't know if you'd want to use it or not, but I can certainly make it available.

Back