WC IV endings

Fenicks

Spaceman
I was wondering if anyone happened to know what exactly had an effect on the ending you got.

I played through for the first time and came up with the flight instructor ending and wondered that if I wanted to see a different one if I had to start completely over or maybe just speak differently to the assembly. .. . ?

Thanks!

I got the one where Blair flys a Banshee for a while and Maniac annoys Paladin for a second.

Then I replayed it and I got Blair as commander of the Black Lance.

Originally posted by Kamikaze
Then I replayed it and I got Blair as commander of the Black Lance.

He is not a Black Lance Commander, he is an Admiral and he uses Lance fighters only

Originally posted by Fenicks
I was wondering if anyone happened to know what exactly had an effect on the ending you got.

I played through for the first time and came up with the flight instructor ending and wondered that if I wanted to see a different one if I had to start completely over or maybe just speak differently to the assembly. .. . ?

Thanks!

If you agree with Hawk most of the time, and not Panther, you will see the ending where Blair becomes a Tolwyn-like Admiral.

Nuking the Ella Superbase is a good way to see that ending.

If you speak to the assembly in a different way, well, let´s say the discussion on Blair´s death ends. :(

Try losing the game, also (duh!) to see a cool ending.

Originally posted by Ghost

He is not a Black Lance Commander, he is an Admiral and he uses Lance fighters only
*Breaths a sigh of relief*
Oh thank goodnes!
Thanks for clearing that up.

When/if Blair decides to nuke Ella, does he say something along the lines of "This is war"? Because if he did, he's contradicting himself in terms of his scene with Tolwyn...

man, I need to play that game again.

Yeah, there was this one time where I happened to get the admiral ending by not choosing to destroy the starbase, but I had agreed with Hawk before, and I guess I said all the right things in the Assembly. It was sorta wierd...I really had to actually tone down the intensity a bit to finally get the flight instructor ending!

Originally posted by Saturnyne
Because if he did, he's contradicting himself in terms of his scene with Tolwyn...
Aww, you can't expect complete consistency, especially with all the alternate choices, can you?

Originally posted by Wulf
It was sorta wierd...I really had to actually tone down the intensity a bit to finally get the flight instructor ending!

I have the same problem, dude. I actually have to put in effort and cross my fingers for the instructor ending. I'm just a hardcore mamma-jamma :cool:

I think this topic comes up every few weeks. Maybe it should be "stuck". Here's the deal:

The ending you get is dependent upon Hawk's and Panther's morale at the time of the Assembly confrontation. Your choices in the Assembly serve only to provide a chance to lose the game, even if you've done everything right up until then; they do NOT affect the "winning ending" (assuming you make it through and best Tolwyn). Now then, back to Hawk and Panther.

Every choice you make that affects their morale has a play as to what ending you get, by raising or lowering their individual morale. However, there are three that are most important, because they pit the two against each other directly, and your choice raises one and lowers the other. Those choices are:

Do you protect the civilians in Circe (Panther) or get the weapons in Speradon (Hawk)?

Do you state that "There's always hope?" (Panther) or "We die trying..." (Hawk)?

Do you try to fly through the Ella system (Panther) or flashpak the Ella superbase (Hawk)?

It is quite possible to choose two of these in support of one character, and still get the other ending, depending on your other choices throughout the game. It is, however, nigh impossible to choose all three one way, and not get that corresponding ending.

Contrary to a popular belief, the choice at Ella is not the one and only choice which determines the outcome. It holds no more weight than the other two "core" choices.

Now you know. :)

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Do you protect the civilians in Circe (Panther) or get the weapons in Speradon (Hawk)?

Do you state that "There's always hope?" (Panther) or "We die trying..." (Hawk)?

Do you try to fly through the Ella system (Panther) or flashpak the Ella superbase (Hawk)?
I'm not disputing you, Phoenix, but I don't think that the middle one should have had so much weight attached to it. It doesn't seem any more than a passing comment to me (and could be attributed to the command pressures on Blair, either way).

Wedge:
While I would tend to agree with you in principle, the simple fact that it's one of three decisions that affect BOTH Hawk's and Panther's morale in opposing directions is what makes that choice a weighted one.

I've gotta go with Phoenix on this one. While it IS a passing comment when you think about it, gamewise it's an important choice.

But don't your private talks with them carry as much weight? like when Panther and/or Hawk bitch about Maniac, or when Panther talks to Blair about her life story?

Probably not as much. And there's the interesting combination of a choice between Panther and Catscratch when Carter asks about whether it's 'right' to help the Kilrathi.

Back