WC: Invasion update 13/01/09

Major A Payne

Rear Admiral
Just a quick note. The mod is getting along a bit now. The Confed capital meshes have all been sorted out for conversion and there are, at the time of posting this, 4 of the 11 ships in game to beta stages (that is to say that they aren't the right size, fighters are non-existant and all use basic file entries so the stock weapons haven't been changed as yet). Also I have a MODDB profile page up and running with up to date ingame images of three of the four converted capitals. Once the confed capitals and fighters are in game I'll be removing all traces of the rebel alliance ships from game and rearranging the starbase/tech level for each of the ships. Capitals will then be altered to have fighter launch capability, but please can everyone be aware that because of the game engine restrictions, landing fighters is not possible. Anyway, more information can be found HERE.

A few other changes are the main loading splash screen and main menu screens. When this mod is loaded you'll see the familiar Confederation logo which can be used to see the game credits. Finally the music has been changed for the main menu and credit screens but I'm unsure of whether this will be kept in. Although Origin have disbanded I'm not sure if the music I'm using (from the original games) would be legally usable in this fashion even though I got it from this website.

I was a little hopeful this might be an update for the armada mod :( sadly not though, still this looks good and empire at war is a good little game.
Two things though, firstly your link is not quite right (it goes to 'here') and secondly, is it just the Confederation that you have put in, or are the Kilrathi available yet?

Bugger. Sorry about that. http://www.moddb.com/mods/wing-commander-invasion Should work properly.

I'm working this one side at a time. The Confed are obviously being incorporated first. The Kirathi are the replacement for the Imperials. The third side is most likely the Nephilim with possibly the Border Worlds providing the replacement for the pirate side (which will be non-playable).

Ooookay. This is turning out really nice! Very excited to see where it goes. I enjoy playing EAW and playing it with my Favorite WC ships will really complete the experiance.

Looks good. If i want to be nitpicky though, the Yorktown model is a bit inaccurate. The conning tower is on the wrong side!

Of course, you may know all of this, and I do understand that it's still beta! Just wanted to point it out if it was overlooked ;)

@Kyran. The original Concordia model is the one made originally by Evan Adams (capt Johnny).
After stripping the main detail from the original model I was able to make a new one using the originals textures.

@mustanger. Hmmmm. I never realised but perhaps I'll re-update the model at a later time. Thanks for the info. Whilst I know quite a bit about modelling and applying textures I'm not so great with info about the original sources, so please feel free to nitpick away.

@frostytheplebe. Unfortunately not, sorry. I'm planning to make this a replacement TC. Perhaps once the mod is tweak to fully, 100% bug free status I might make a cross over.

@Kyran. The original Concordia model is the one made originally by Evan Adams (capt Johnny).
Actually, it's Evan Adnams, aka Hadrian. Also, he's not Captain Johnny, who happens to be an entirely separate person :p. According to the news update, they worked on the model together - though it looks to me as though their model may be pretty heavily based on the original Concordia model.

it is, but I imagine if you use true sizes of things they rather get in the way of moving the rest of your fleet around on a 2d plane

To be honest I'm not one for correctly sizing these ships and I can, therefore, only go by what this sites ship size references are. Also 3dmax doesn't give an actual accurate reading as to the physical size of a 3d model so it makes it somewhat harder. Finally, there is also the small problem that the ships may have pathing problems is the models are to large. In a past mod I've helped with there was one ships that was about 2.5 times the length of the Midway (as it currently is viewed) and it had problems with turning and negotiating around asteroid fields and starbases.

That being said, if someone could enlighten me to the close to correct lengths then I'll gladly do what I can. One thing to bare in mind though, is that fighters scaled to their correct size may be incredibly small and extremely hard to see (one of the downsides of the original game).

To be honest I'm not one for correctly sizing these ships and I can, therefore, only go by what this sites ship size references are. Also 3dmax doesn't give an actual accurate reading as to the physical size of a 3d model so it makes it somewhat harder. Finally, there is also the small problem that the ships may have pathing problems is the models are to large. In a past mod I've helped with there was one ships that was about 2.5 times the length of the Midway (as it currently is viewed) and it had problems with turning and negotiating around asteroid fields and starbases.

That being said, if someone could enlighten me to the close to correct lengths then I'll gladly do what I can. One thing to bare in mind though, is that fighters scaled to their correct size may be incredibly small and extremely hard to see (one of the downsides of the original game).

I've had many discussions with people about this, and most of them want realistic size mods for the game. But then you look at how ridiculous things look. For example, to be able to fit a realistically sized Eclipse on an EAW map, the Star Destroyed would be the size that a fighter is now. Imagine the size of the fighter for a moment.

I just don't see the point.

The game should be as realistic as possible while still being playable. There are a good number of reasons to be able to see which way fighters are facing during combat, especially in EAW where they have a tendency to make some highly erratic maneuvers, and I hope this is all taken into account in the WC mod.

Just my two sense. Summary: Good Gameplay trumps realistic sizes every time.

Agreed Jason, but even in a game its nice to have a certain size of realism. Anyway. The Plunkett and Vesuvius are pictured in game so all thats left is to make a rebuild of the Tigers Claw and that'll be the other hero capital ship in the game. After that then I can start on the fighters themselves.

Agreed Jason, but even in a game its nice to have a certain size of realism. Anyway. The Plunkett and Vesuvius are pictured in game so all thats left is to make a rebuild of the Tigers Claw and that'll be the other hero capital ship in the game. After that then I can start on the fighters themselves.

Mmmm...I want a hero Plunkett! That would be AWESOME!

I'm so glad editing EAW files is so easy.

Back