WC: Invasion update 13/01/09

The latest on this mod is that the Confed capital ships are all ingame to alpha complete stage. As a bonus and after permission being granted by Howard Day, I used his reference renders to build a reasonably close reproduction of his version of the Bengal (both it and the Hero Midway are pictured on MODDB), which as far as I'm concerned is one fo the best representations of the ship. Please be advised though that my remake isn't 100% accurate to his so it may not be liked. Either way it is quite potent in battle, although I think if Thrawn's star destroyer were faced against it, it might not last a great deal of time (~~~). Anyway, stage 2 will involve deciding on the fighter and bomber classes to include and then conversions can begin.

it won't be much longer before I can get rid of the Rebellion from the game (hurrah!!!).

About time someone modded Empire at War with WC ships. Thank you greatly for this mod. Looks great already.

Hi all.

Another update. Now theres a couple of things here. All the standard fighters are in game along with the hero fighter squadron/s. After looking over the Broadsword and Devastator I'm inclined to leave them out as neither would be up to any kind of standards. All is not lost though as the Wasp doubles as a fighter and missile bomber.

Now comes my problem. I've looked over the site and the version of Ella Starbase I have is different from the images here (it doesn't look like a 'H'). To be honest its not really the right shape for the starbase so I'm tempted to go with a different one but I thought I woul dget a second opinion. Please can everyone bare in mind that the used base will have to be heavily armed, carry a radar and have a hangar. Anyway the one directly below is Ella Starbase as I have the model. The one below that is the main starbase that featured in the WC:Invasion mod for Armada 1 that some may already know:

What you've got there is the Ella Superbase from Secret Ops. The H shape was how it was represented in Wing Commander 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that explanation chris. I did wonder what the difference was. I'll probably end up converting both and seeing how each one plays in game.

What you've got there is the Ella Superbase from Secret Ops. The H shape was how it was represented in Wing Commander 4.

Maybe they added on to it in between the two games... THe SO one kind of looks like two of the WC4 ones one on top of the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... Regarding the models, will stuff fall off when you shoot it? It was part of what made EAW awesome.

break off won't be included. The reason for this is simply that I'm not conversant enough with the way the exporter works and quite frankly, its not something which I particularly like anyway. Same goes for death clones that capital ships use. I don't think I've ever seen a ship break apart like they do in EaW represented in a film of any kind, so its something that will probably be left out. I'm currently undecided on the engine exhaust at the moment as the most important thing for me is to get the models sorted out and working in game.

OKay so a new update. It seems that the new starbase just doesn't want to play properly so until I can sort this out the continuation is on hold (man do I hate having problems, even minor ones) but if the worst comes to the worst then I'll have to make do with the stock starbases with edited protectiles and altered tech upgrades.

I don't think I've ever seen a ship break apart like they do in EaW represented in a film of any kind, so its something that will probably be left out.

Hmm... I thought the battleship in the movie more or less did, but it's been a long time.

A quick update.

Progres has been relatively slow with only three kilrathi capital ships ready for game conversion. I've also gotten my mits on a shed load of extra models, so its a possibility that the Nephillim might not be included but the Border Worlds will instead (I'm not sure if I like the idea of including ships which technically "might" have animations needed for them). Hopefully though, I'll be able to get the necessary capitals done by the end of this week (crosses fingers for this), and I've got an idea for something which might prove useful.

The general idea is that IIRC WC uses a jump point idea. Well in EaW/FoC amongst the capturable structures is a space dock of sorts. I plan to replace the model with a Jump Bouy which the player will be able to "jump" into the game advanced ship classes and thankfully its possible to give each side a unique selection of ships which can be added in this way. That will mean that the Confederation will be further upgraded than it already is with perhaps 6 or 7 additional capital ships and prototype fighter classes. This should give a bit of a tactical change for the standard playing game.

There are a few other map specific structures which I'll see about capitalising upon, but this is undecided as to what function they will provide at the moment.

I've also placed on display images of the Fralthi II and for the purposes of the mod, there is going to be two versions. One will be more of a carrier and therefore have fighter support but not be as well armed or shielded and the other will be a dedicated armed cruiser, having no fighter support but be heavily armed and shielded (truth be told I did mess up the original specs with the image/model I was originally using so decided to go with two versions).

Further update to come as soon as possible.

I have just taken a look at the screenshots and what do I see there...the Kavor model.
Never thought someone would consider using it.
What kind of role does it take in your mod?

At this moment its difficult to say until I get its size more or less correct and get the necessary weapons in game. I'll probably consult the creator of the version I used for my rebuild. Apparently the very first version had soem sort of canon mounted on each of the prones, but I tend to stray away from the "canonitical facts" so that I can put a ship in a role suited to the game engine.

Mind you. if you have any suggestions feel free to make them.

Well the Kavor wasn't even designed to be a kilrathi ship but was something I played around with. The idea was more or less a big gun with a little bit of ship around it. No specific plan of it being an energie weapon or a oversized mass driver.
Scoobys made the ship into a kilrathi one, changeing the look a bit and turned the cannon into a multiple torpedo/capship-missile launcher.

I only played with the demo of the game you are modding but wasn't there a Empirial torpedo/missile ship? Scoobys version would be quite similar to this.

Ah. I never new that it wasn't supposed to be kilrathi. I was just going by what Scooby told me. Anyway. With regards to your question. Yes there is a "torpedo" style cruiser for both Rebel and Imperial which are vastly different in looks but perform the same function. The Kavors current weapons loadout is standard laser weapons from those red squares and the "prong" ends as well as the tip of the left wing (when looking at the ship from above so its facing downwards) are armed with concussion missiles. Of course all the ships currently use stock weapons but this will change once the first two sides are in game. I've got sounds and texture files from the stock game (which were originally used for the Armada 1 mod).

Mind you. In thinking about it, I might revist the Armada 1 mod once this ones done and see about finishing it properly. Remember the Kilrathi were the only side that was missing from that mod.

Scoobys version was made as a Kilrathi ship, that is right.
Also I don't mind much on how you use it. Feel free to use it in the best way you like it.
It was a design concept I made long ago and if it wasn't for Scooby picking it up it would most likely have never be seen by anyone else.

Ya, Lars forgot to tell me what it was originaly meant for. So I just used it as a missile destroyer (as a kilrathi version of my Formidable). You wanted it as a fleet plasma cannon. :eek:

And since then I've somewhat rebuilt/retextured it.

Back