WC Game Story Arc

that makes sense, i like that, and i always chose Rachel over Flint anyway...

i do understand that the author didnt see any footage of the games, i think i talked about that in another post...it bothered me when i read about Loconda being lost to the bioweapon. i spent many sleepless nights thinking of a better way to play those missions and how to save them, i replayed those missions until i finally did! it was a great accomplishment to hear Radio Rollins message "there gonna names kids on loconda after you"...

If it makes you feel any better, the author of the novelization never saw any footage of the game itself--so it was purely a storytelling choice rather than the ultimate decision between Jennifer MacDonald and Ginger Lynn. :)

I guess I would have trouble going with Flint if I were adapting Wing Commander III into a linear story, too. Unless you want to seque to a discussion of Angel's death making him reckless then his hooking up with a subordinate doesn't seem appropriate... reacting to his emotional damage by seeking comfort from the woman who's always been there to repair his fighter is about Wing Commander's speed in terms of subtext.

You do have a good point (as usual), and the subtext point is actually spot on.

Of course, truth be told, I would have killed off Angel earlier and had the love interest with Spirit the entire time.... But that's just me.

i dont think there was any novelization on Phrophecy..after the novel WC IV came False Colors..Action Stations takes us back before the war learning more about Tolwyn.

i dont think there was any novelization on Phrophecy..after the novel WC IV came False Colors..Action Stations takes us back before the war learning more about Tolwyn.

Right, no novel for Prophecy--the game's production schedule just didn't give time for a novel to be written that could be published at the same time. (although the original cover layout for Action Stations incorrectly called it the novelization of "Wing Commander V"--so who knows what Baen thought they were printing...)

Of course, truth be told, I would have killed off Angel earlier and had the love interest with Spirit the entire time.... But that's just me.

The thing that always stops me from thinking that way about Spirit is the conversation in Wing Commander II where he mentions that she's like his little sister.

Right, no novel for Prophecy--the game's production schedule just didn't give time for a novel to be written that could be published at the same time. (although the original cover layout for Action Stations incorrectly called it the novelization of "Wing Commander V"--so who knows what Baen thought they were printing...)

The thing that always stops me from thinking that way about Spirit is the conversation in Wing Commander II where he mentions that she's like his little sister.

Huh.... Must've blocked that conversation from my memory. Isn't she older than him though?

Huh.... Must've blocked that conversation from my memory. Isn't she older than him though?

The more I think about it, it may have been a line from the official guide; I will check when I get home.

Blair is actually a year older than Spirit, although she was a class ahead of him at the Academy.

does anyone else feel that Phrophecy feels out of place...

When it came out, they talked about it being a kind of "reboot" of the series. You start with a fresh character, just out of the Academy, while Blair is still around a a senior officer. Also they talked about making it more like Wing Commander (1) again, and all in all I always thought they succeeded.

By that time WC1 was my favourite game of the series, I had also played WC2, which had a great story, but couldn't live up to the first game in points of gameplay (more specifically the mission design). I had only ever played a Demo version of WC3 (all I can remember about this experience was feeling very desoriented in combat and also having trouble to get the game running at the proper speed), and although reading a lot of WC4 in magazines, I never touched it, and from what I read I wasn't impressed either. I remember skimming through some walkthrough of it and reading stuff like "Go to Captain Eisen's cabin" and thinking "Wait, WHAT? Is it now some kind of Adventure game?" (Not that I had anything against Adventures, but a game called Wing Commander should be about... commanding wings ;) )

When Prohpecy came out I was extremely impressed. I tried it and thought "they were right, it IS more like WC1 again" and "Finally a good Wing Commander game again" and I couldn't wait to see the promised continuation of the series...

Little did I know that apparently, the majority of players did not share my view, and so the sequels never happened...

I think Spirit had an interest in Blair..didnt she find out that her fiancé was KIA..

Not quite. He was missing a long time and suspected to be dead, but nobody really knew.

Later, in WC2, she found out he was still alive, while it is not clear if that was even true or just set up by the Mandarin to get her to defect;
whatever the case, instead of defecting she kamikazes into the station on which her fiancé was (supposedly) being held, destroying the station while killing herself and - should the story of him being alive have been true - also her fiancé.

That aside, I also think there was some "tension" between Spirit and Blair, but quite faint, and ultimately her fiancé who was still "missing in action" stood between them.

The more I think about it, it may have been a line from the official guide; I will check when I get home.
The losing path for the Novaya Kiev series has Spirit saying she feels like Blair is like a brother to her.

Also, you may be thinking of Hunter's line in Freedom Flight: 'You’re [that is, Spirit] like a little sister to all of us here in the fighter squadron...'

Regardless of who said what, I think Spirit and Blair were 'just' close friends, nothing more. After all, she his wingman on his first missions (at least in the context of WC1), and would have taken him 'under her wing', so to speak.

yes you are correct, Spirit rams the station...

on to Phrophecy...it really is too bad you never played WC III or WC IV, they are great games (Prometheus)...however i do get that this is a reboot, however after playing the games and getting to know the characters, caring about them, and actually seeing actors portraying them (WCIII and WCIV)...i felt disapointed.
Retire blair, or leave him as commodore of the academy, using his talents to train new pilots..Maniac should finally get his promotion...yes i know he gets his own squad, only to be demoted....you see where i am going..i felt that Phrophecy was although probably the most expensive project, out of place..
again i do like the idea that humanity needs to work together to fight another horrific alien race, more powerful than the Kilrathi.
The entire undertone of WCIV was that after the war, the confederation still spending money on new carriers, felt lost without a war to fight..at Tolwyn's cost..Yes, humanity had freedom but our space navy feeling proud and confident, ached for another battle to win...another war to end...
i didnt get this feeling from Phrophecy..yes a new threat..yes old faces to see..yes you play a new character...it just felt forced...

Retire blair, or leave him as commodore of the academy, using his talents to train new pilots..Maniac should finally get his promotion...yes i know he gets his own squad, only to be demoted....you see where i am going..i felt that Phrophecy was although probably the most expensive project, out of place..

Actually, Prophecy was by a wide margin the cheapest of the FMV games.

One of the requirements for Prophecy (from EA) was that they had to prove that the series could still do FMV without the incredible cost of Wing Commander IV.

The producers called in every favor they could and Prophecy clocked in at $750,000--compared to $4m for WC3, $5m for Privateer 2 and $20m for WC4.

(Because of that performance they were all ready to shoot a live action Privateer 3, studio time booked and everything, when that project died.)

Did we ever have a cast list for Privateer 3? I can't recall if there was anything like that in the archive documents. Or, given the reduced budget constraints, I suppose they would have largely been unknown actors anyway.

I *thought* they were shooting Privateer 3 in Austin... which would likely mean an entirely unknown cast, like the Crusader games. By 1999 the age of "look, it's so-and-so C-list actor!' as a selling point was pretty much over.

Back