WC:CD "Fan Input"

Unfortunately no Firekkan Carrier for this fighter at the time.....

It's called the "Valtar" Which I got the name from I think a Privateer Online document. It's in between a medium to light fighter. Fast, Very maneuverable

The only other Firekkan Ship that I've done is the "Warrax"

gimme gimme warrax piccies

Unfortunately no Firekkan Carrier for this fighter at the time.....

It's called the "Valtar" Which I got the name from I think a Privateer Online document. It's in between a medium to light fighter. Fast, Very maneuverable

The only other Firekkan Ship that I've done is the "Warrax"

WANTS PICS OF "WARRAX"

Take this advice from someone who's been there and had plenty of opportunities to make mistakes (and even learn from them!). You absolutely do not need voice actors. You do not want voice actors.

Voice actors are an unnecessary distraction. Instead of focussing on getting the job done, you focus on finding the right voice actors... but then, you only have half the scripts available for them, because you're not done with the design. So, you get half your lines recorded, and then, a year later, you're finally ready to record the rest - only, the voice actors who need to come back to continue their roles have gone missing! Suddenly, you find yourself rewriting scenes, writing characters out of the story, writing new characters into the story, and so on, and so on. And when you decide to make some small changes in the first part of the game, the one you already have voiceovers for... you realise that you can't make the change, because you won't be able to record the new lines.

You will need voiceovers right before the release of the game. If you are planning on having video cutscenes with talking heads, or any similar pre-rendered stuff, you'll need voiceovers a little earlier - but such cutscenes should be left to the end of the project, for the reasons described above.

And WC Saga has had a similar experience...

Oct 2002: Need voice actors! - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/4324
Jun 2003: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/4775
Jan 2004: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/5212
Jun 2004: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/5533
Oct 2006: Voice recording complete - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7429
Jan 2007: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7611
Sep 2007: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/8180
Sep 2008: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/8904
Nov 2009: Need more voice actors - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/9829

Last edited by a moderator:
And WC Saga has had a similar experience...

Dayyyyyyuuuuuum ! That's 7 years worth of heartache....Yea I don't want to have that...I think Quarto has a good point....I mean I can think of 3 or 4 friends that can lend there voices plus myself which is 5 or 6. I think that should be plenty of people to do voices. And they're also people whom are accessible. I mean there's alot of the Nephilim Audio That's I've been fine tooth combing through and to be honest there's alot that isn't used in the game. That I really would like to bring out. Also I mean there's alot of Kilrathi that are in other games that I can use audio for, and also I can edit a few lines so that some of the friendly Kilrathi Wingmen have some personalized lines. As far as Firekkan that is something that I'm going to have to edit to get the right sound...and Humans... There's what 3-4 wingmen...and 3 other characters... So I mean there's plenty of room. But I'm not going crazy with a million characters. Plus there's many lines in SO and Prophecy are generics but never used.

...At the moment I'm focusing much more on finishing the rest of the models.. and implementing them into the vision engine..Especially Capships ! The Fighters are easy to do.. But the caps have been giving me probs...not to mention I'm finishing up the lasts of the capships in the modeling...and tweaking a few others...but...Once I pick em apart and get them in the vision engine... I'll be good to go on making missions...Most of the game audio and game special effects I've already worked on including sounds for guns, ambient sound, missile sounds, etc... I've been aiming to make it similar to Secret Ops...But at the same time...Different...I haven't even started on cockpits for fighters. Which would be fun...But I can do that down the road...

This isn't related to Collateral Damage but there's a what looks to be a "Runaground" ship in these shots does anyone know what ship it looks to be like?
Interesting. Looks human - that's about all that can be said, though. Maybe some Arena players can provide more shots?

hey jason, good idea with not holding back on the voiceover for so long. It is good to hear that you use the potential of voices from past games ( taunts from armada e.g.)

plus for random confed pilots you could still use the basic voices from the wcp pilots

I think an underused resource is the WC4 voiceovers. There is a large amount of primary and secondary wingmen in that game that should cover most mod needs.

It's not quite so easy, though. Unless your character is a Colonel, you've got a lot of editing ahead. And sometimes, once you edit out the "Colonel", the voiceover just won't be useable, the change will be too audible.

Yea I think the Vocal part isn't going to be the huge issue... (It's easier to edit audio stuff for me n implement it in the engine) I mean obviously Main Lines will still need to be recorded but... I'll have to Dissect WC3, WC4, Prophecy/SO, And really see what I can salvage. N then really come up with a gameplan when I get to the audio stuff.

Bwahaha you are right tho I do remember there being alot of "Colonel" before almost every line in that game. But again I'll have to check alot of it...Which will merit me landing long hours of listening to "GOD, I LOVE THAT BOYS SPUNK!" :D

@ jason: beside wc 3, wc 4 and prophecy. you can still use some coms/ taunts from Wc 2 (kilrathi and terran), privateer 1 and wc armada ;)

edit: this would give a little retrostyle feeling, besides it would prevent standardcharacters from using the same taunts over and over again

Not trying to sound like a jerk, Jason, but your pretty much trying to make something like Unknown Enemy, an short and sweet addon with tons of eye candy. But Unknown Enemy still needed a team of people, and from what I've seen it's just you doing the whole project. How do you intend to follow what a whole team did by yourself?

Sorry to say but I was not a fan of Unknown Enemy.

Your right I should probably just ditch all that work I've done, n call it quits

@ lt. overload: you forget that a lot of basic work has been done with unknown enemy. a construct so to say. I think jason is going to use that construct, therefore he does not " have to invent the wheel a second time". this way he can focus more on the story and on the characters, just like an author who writes a novel by himself :)

Not trying to sound like a jerk, Jason, but your pretty much trying to make something like Unknown Enemy, an short and sweet addon with tons of eye candy. But Unknown Enemy still needed a team of people, and from what I've seen it's just you doing the whole project. How do you intend to follow what a whole team did by yourself?
I don't think this is quite what UE was about. What we actually were trying to do is make the biggest, most amazing addon that we possibly could - and the limiting factor turned out to be, above all, the lack of research. We had no idea what we were doing, and half of it was trial and error, along with the need to re-do, time and again, half of our assets. We went through three iterations of the BWS Dauntless - and the first one was actually a giant corvette instead of a proper capship! We went through so many iterations of the Scimitar, there's one CIC news update where they call us "the Scimitar project" or something like that.

Today, the core of UE could easily be done by one person - those ten missions, I could churn them out, all by myself, in the space of about three weeks (if my life depended on it).

More importantly, Jason is hardly alone out here. Most of us on the Standoff team may not be too willing to directly help him (we still haven't had time to finish off the last batch of bugs, give us a break!), but any time he needs advice or help with a specific tool, we're there. And I'm sure that if he decides to do pre-rendered cutscenes or stuff like that, he'll be able to find someone out there to help him.

This is very true Quarto, You guys have helped tremendously, and haven't even touched any material !... Plus there's alot that I have seen from Standoff which is basically what The Standoff team has put out there and that's a pretty good amount just in material alone.

Some of you are so gullable :) Do you really think I'd ditch the project now? Com on now, I mean I've come this far....Why not keep going. Plus There are fans out there that like the work I've been doing so far. :)

Overlord, I know things seem like they're going slow...And they are....But As I continue to work on it the faster things seem to go...Although the finish line is far ahead....I have faith that I'll keep working on it. And try to minimize mistakes along the way.

Also keep in mind....I don't work for some million dollar game company, or some huge developer or even have access to the latest and greatest programs to edit things with...BUT..... I have dedicated myself to the project even if life has thrown me curveballs, Between lost relationships, Jail for DWI, Being unemployed for a little while.....I've gotten back on the horse and said "Ah Hell!, I gotta push forward".

Although I don't have some dedicated TEAM of Wing Commander editing aficionados. I do have the ear of the thousands of WC Fans out there and for that alone....I'm happy to push forward with the project....

Also Keep in mind, you guys have given me ALOT of ideas, thoughts, concepts...That I take into account....I mean Originally that Hurricane II was going to look like the Vendetta from Priv 2. Originally this project had you as a confed pilot.... Certain things...I've changed along the way and or improved on...and some things I've set in stone, because I don't want to change them...But with everyones comments, concerns, and creative thought process..... I was able (With your help) to make it look like a ship that may have some similarities to others in the WC Universe... It's this type of creative process that your able to create something that was never there. I have relied on the WC Community as a whole to give some of there thoughts to the project. Even if I may disagree or agree....You have lent a hand in the creation and that's a golden gift.

Be patient and just keep giving your thoughts and ideas....Because the project is far from over....But I'm not going to give this project maybe as much detail as Standoff....But....I'm doing my best to compromise with things that I can and I can't do....Once I get to a roadblock I've usually been able to bust em down but there is certain things I can....and can't do....Sometimes I'm a little sarcastic and if I offend you I apologize.

For instance...Don't ask me to have a fighter that has some speed of 5000 for an afterburn.....or some super gun that has a damage of 1000 pts to everything....or even a fighter that is unkillable.....I just won't do silly stuff like that. I'm trying to keep things as believable and realistic as possible... Not only in the WC world but in our own world....I mean have you ever played a game when you were like..."That's not possible...." I think WC does an excellent job at making things plausible.

So for those about to Roc! I Salute you!

Back