WC:CD "Dreadnought" Name Vote!!

What to name the CVS-66 ".........."

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Check out the new Screenshost I posted for size comparisions... it's roughly a little larger than the Midway Class.

Is there any reason why it's so big? Do you really need a biggest-battleship-ever ship in your game? A ship doesn't have to be twice the size of the dreadnought Concordia or have guns that put the crazy-gun-heavy Plunkett to shame to be huge and fearsome.

To be honest I really thought about it for a loooooooong time the other day and probably won't have it the same size as you see in the comparison picture. It'll probably more likely be the same size as the plunkett, Maybe a little smaller. In between the cerberus size and plunkett will be the size, Just because in retrospect the thing looks too big and clunky.... I agree with you :)

Vote Vote Vote Vote Vote!!!! :) 3 more days left!!! :p I regard to the guns......I'll tie it into the story somehow, but....the WC Universe is full of twists and turns some of which we can only speculate as to how things happened. I think that's going to be the real glory and worth with the Collateral Damage Project....Remember this story isn't a nuts crazy "That would never happen" type scenario...even tho doing the models is time consuming....I've also been reading up on alot of storylines that were to be that never were...Privateer online, etc..also some things are given as clues to what kinda happened in the S*S manual.....Of coarse for a story like this I don't want it to feel made up but I also want it to feel like something a little new and different. If that makes any sense....

Some thoughts:

I don't care for Bunker Hill at all. I always thought that was kind of a dumb sounding name for a ship, and in any case, it's a horrible historical misnomer. The battle took place mainly on Breed's Hill, and the monument is on Breed's hill. If you want to go with a revolutionary war battle name and want to avoid the famous "big three" (Lexington, Saratoga, and Yorktown), why not go with the King's Mountain or the Ticonderoga (which would also be naming it after a current class of warships), both of which flow a lot better to my ear?

I like Constitution because of the historical significance, and because it's one of the two probably most famous warships of all time (the other being the Victory, which has already been used in WC). Olympus sounds majestic and relates to the Vesuvius/St. Helens line, which this ship kind of resembles. And Artemis is just a nice sounding name, although it seems that it would be a more suitable name for a fast, stealthy, light strike cruiser, not a massive Carrier/Dreadnaught.

None of the other names really jump out at me, and I would avoid Alliance at all costs. The original Amercian warship Alliance was a frigate given to the American revolutionaries by the French. It was crewed by an American crew but captained by a French admiral who hated John Paul Jones, and in the famous battle between the Bonhomme Richard and the Serapis, the Alliance actually turned on Jones and fired on both ships, which was a large part of the reason why the Richard ended up sinking. Do you really want to name your ship after a ship famous for being traitorous?

Here's some other ideas...when I first saw the ship, the first thought I had was Mjolnir, because it kind of resembles a hammer of the Gods. But people have indicated that there already is a TCS Mjolnir? Where/when? It's not in any of the mainstream games... Norse mythology has a wealth of great names...someone else in this thread suggested Valhalla, which would be a great name. I also could see Odin as a good option.

My best idea, though, sticking with the idea of naming it after famous moments of historical significance, would be to name her the Overlord. Not only does that imply a mighty ship, but it also is named after the most successful large scale naval invasion ever (the landing at Normandy), and one of the most significant turning points in WWII.

You make alot of very good points and I wish I could have changed a few of those names but...I can't change the vote box after I submitted it. The only real reason I put Bunker Hill in there and only reason being was personal reasons, didn't have some big historical reason. but I only put it in there because my grandfather had served on the Bunker Hill during it's raid of Okinawa in WW2, I read a little bit on the history of the Bunker Hill carrier, not the boston battle, but I only put that in there for a tribute if it were actually named the bunker hill to my grandpappy :) ....Some of the other names I didn't really research at all I mean Red Aries and Crystal Run.. I kinda shot myself in the foot because I really could have come up with better names, especially after many comments, ideas and views. ~~~ :) Thank you for your input it's a refresher

I like Constitution because of the historical significance, and because it's one of the two probably most famous warships of all time (the other being the Victory, which has already been used in WC).

I agree with this on the principal of Historical Significance...and that broaches a question. Do we have evidence anywhere that the Confederation was drawn up using a Constitution, or a document named such? Personally my feelings about this name is that it is too "American", and a more nationally friendly name would be something like the Essex.

Olympus sounds majestic and relates to the Vesuvius/St. Helens line, which this ship kind of resembles.

I don't like "Olympus" for the same reason I don't like "Titan". Both names feel to me as if they are something that is too LARGE. Like you're describing the ship, not naming it. And I see this ship as more of a heavy ship then a large ship.

And Artemis is just a nice sounding name, although it seems that it would be a more suitable name for a fast, stealthy, light strike cruiser, not a massive Carrier/Dreadnaught.

I agree with this, I think it's spot on.

None of the other names really jump out at me, and I would avoid Alliance at all costs. The original Amercian warship Alliance was a frigate given to the American revolutionaries by the French. It was crewed by an American crew but captained by a French admiral who hated John Paul Jones, and in the famous battle between the Bonhomme Richard and the Serapis, the Alliance actually turned on Jones and fired on both ships, which was a large part of the reason why the Richard ended up sinking. Do you really want to name your ship after a ship famous for being traitorous?

I love Naval History. I have to concur on this point to.

Here's some other ideas...when I first saw the ship, the first thought I had was Mjolnir, because it kind of resembles a hammer of the Gods. But people have indicated that there already is a TCS Mjolnir? Where/when? It's not in any of the mainstream games... Norse mythology has a wealth of great names...someone else in this thread suggested Valhalla, which would be a great name. I also could see Odin as a good option.

It's actually a Free Republic of Landreich Ship, so it would be FRLS Mjolnir. Named after the FRLS Sindri which was destroyed while assisting the Mjolner in becoming operational.

I suggested Valhalla, and I stand by it. But in a pinch from the list above, I still think Arlington it's a fantastic name. For me, at least, it conjurs up feelings and memories of the Civil War, a time when enemies would sneak across lines to share stories and food and trade with each other because even though they were at war - and a horrible war - at that there was still Honor between them.

You make alot of very good points and I wish I could have changed a few of those names but...I can't change the vote box after I submitted it. I kinda shot myself in the foot because I really could have come up with better names, especially after many comments, ideas and views. ~~~ :) Thank you for your input it's a refresher

That's okay - maybe some of these suggestions will carry over into the next ship design/naming thread. I'm sure it won't be long before we see more of you're excellent work.

So in being with a man of my word the ship is now going to be called the "Artemis class Dreadnought" With the ship name being the "Artemis" similar to how the Midway being the first ship of it's class, as it's naming. But I'm still a little stumped on what designation it should get....a CV...CVS...CVD....I think in all default it will be a CV... But I will really have to think about it... maybe a CVX- just as a 20 or something... as in "CVX-20" do the numbers really have to count? Anyways I'll keep everyone posted on how this ship goes I still plan on doing more work on it just time consuming :)

To be honest I really thought about it for a loooooooong time the other day and probably won't have it the same size as you see in the comparison picture. It'll probably more likely be the same size as the plunkett, Maybe a little smaller. In between the cerberus size and plunkett will be the size, Just because in retrospect the thing looks too big and clunky.... I agree with you

It's worth noting that the Plunkett-class is unusually long -- by virtue of its very short beam. It would be odd for a 'chunky' ship to be the same length.

If you want to go with a revolutionary war battle name and want to avoid the famous "big three" (Lexington, Saratoga, and Yorktown), why not go with the King's Mountain or the Ticonderoga (which would also be naming it after a current class of warships), both of which flow a lot better to my ear?

We have already seen a TCS Ticonderoga - a carrier in service shortly after the Battle of Earth (mentioned in the Wing Commander IV novelization.)

Olympus sounds majestic and relates to the Vesuvius/St. Helens line, which this ship kind of resembles. And Artemis is just a nice sounding name, although it seems that it would be a more suitable name for a fast, stealthy, light strike cruiser, not a massive Carrier/Dreadnaught.

The TCS Olympus was the Concordia supercruiser taken over by traitors and used to slaughter civilians in 'Pilgrim Stars.'

Artemis is a type of missile - it's the type of ELRIRs used in Secret Ops.

I agree with this on the principal of Historical Significance...and that broaches a question. Do we have evidence anywhere that the Confederation was drawn up using a Constitution, or a document named such? Personally my feelings about this name is that it is too "American", and a more nationally friendly name would be something like the Essex.

I think 'Articles of Confederation' have been mentioned.

We've seen ships that lean in the direction of all sorts of human factions - from American Presidents (Lincoln, Kennedy) to Japanese aircraft carriers (Soryu) to Confederate names for battles (Manassas) to German aircraft designers (Dornier.)

Uh...Not like this matters but isn't Artemis a name of a Missile? An I'm sure Vanguard was a Pliot in Prophecy that was killed on Maniac's wing (CD 3, WCP).

I just wanted to see what people think If I gave it some green WC2esq type colors.. hehe

Attachments

• ArtemisWC2style1.jpg
    ArtemisWC2style1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 193
  • ArtemisWC2style2.jpg
    ArtemisWC2style2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ArtemisWC2style3.jpg
    ArtemisWC2style3.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 176
  • ArtemisWC2style4.jpg
    ArtemisWC2style4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 199
That is actually a cool name.....But since people have voted for the Artemis, I can't fly a double standard and make it be called something else. So that will be a name for maybe another ship for the WC:CD Mod that's actually a pretty cool name and sound pretty wild really.

Well, you asked for some model feedback, so I'll give you some. Most of this has to do with aesthetics than anything practical or Wing Commandery, so feel free to dismiss what you don't want to incorporate.

First, all of the turrets are hard to look at. The primary guns blend in too much, and the secondary gun textures look odd. I would suggest giving the small guns and their mountings flatter textures - something that looks almost like a solid color like WC3/4's gun textures. The main guns also need something a lot simpler and of a different color than the hull so they stand out from the ship. As it is they look like hull mountings at a glance.

Next, the landing strip. This is personal preference here, so take it lightly. I don't fully understand why it's black. A lighter gray could be used instead. Also, having a fat turret at the end and two walls to the sides make it feel a bit claustrophobic. I think it might be more interesting if the design incorporated something like the Confederation-class' twin runways, going either side of the main guns, and either removed the walls or made them a unified superstructure behind the turrets. Alternatively you could make the walls taper from the rear superstructure to the deck similar to the Tiger's Claw's runway walls. The jist is that I think it should be opened up, and feel more accessable.

hehe this was just to see what people thought of green :) take a look at the other thread I believe I answered your questions there http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=23610

The turrets that are going to be used are going to be the turrets that are found in Prophecy and Secret ops. It's hard to show the model as renders sometimes because this isn't how it's going to exactly look in the Vision engine when I put it in the game. those main turrets are actually going to be the exact plunkett turrets, as with the smaller turrets (Laser turrets, Tachyon turrets etc...) I just can't find the models of those haha I'll work on getting this into the vision engine within the next few days and then we'll be able to see them much better from there.

What about the smaller mounting bases? I'm not familiar with the Vision engine meshes so if the lasers include those, then nevermind.

If you like the name, Wing commander did make a hint to norse mythology with "Operations thor's hammer", I also remember some norse name references coming up in the briefings...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Norse_gods <-might make for a nice battlegroup?

Also, as i looked this up, i noticed;
Loki - Trickster and god of mischief, strife and fire. Consort: Sigyn (also called Saeter)

I would pronounce "Saeter" as "Seether"

Back