WC CCG cards...

WC is not unknown in France... it is less known than US and Germany though...

I remember my dad bought me my Deluxe edition of WC1 at the Fnac of Paris, back in around 1991... :)
Then I had to hunt down WC2 in the suburbs of London, because it was already not sold anymore in France (it had come out for a while)...

Also, I was dying trying to find WC3 in English, but the French retailers only sold the French version...
I had to wait for eBay last year. <G>

WC4 came first in English though, then was translated into French, but I threw myself at the English version this time, as soon as I had the chance...

Nowadays, when games are finally released in France, it's most of the time straight to French version... :(

Well, Ok, you're right... WC is not unknown in France (any frenchman here who is still playing WC ? humm, no, so I'm alone - just kidding). I've bought too WC1 in la Fnac in Paris... but that is an american version ! Now, french versions come later, due to the translation... due to our £$#@! "académiciens" who want us to say "frimousses" and not smileys, or "graticiel" and not freeware. Damn' ! I love the english versions ! Why ? Because the translations here are awful ! (and this is not a joke this time). Well that is not the point indeed...

Of course, they don't sell a product nobody will buy. That is the case of the WC Universe products here in France... we've got the games, that's all....

You can add:

"courriel" (email)
"toile d'araignée mondiale" (world wide web) <G>
cédérom (you can guess that one! :) )
"coupe-feu" (firewall)
"bogue" (bug)
"boule de commande" (trackball)
"mémoire tampon" (buffer - for those who don't know: "tampon" means tampax, in French...)

and the best for the end:

"enfilade" (thread)... :rolleyes:

Vive l'Académie Française...

[Edited by mpanty on 06-04-2001 at 16:51]

I think we should probably shoot ourselves for having this conversation, but tampon is the same in English -- Tampax is a brand-name...

I also find it annoying to sea more and more translated games in the shops (here in the Netherlands). Ok its nice for kids but I like to hear my game in the language they made it in because something is always lost in the translation. Except those languages I do not know ofcourse but even then I prefer the english version. Usually because of the bigger market more time has gone in to translating them.
I'm still glad we still have subtitles with movies and that they aren't respoken in Dutch. I really hate that.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I don't think I've ever *not* won a game by destroying the enemy carrier, so I'm not sure why you keep asking us that...

You are the first one to tell me that he won by destryoing the enemy carrier.

Originally posted by NoRemorse
I've bought too WC1 in la Fnac in Paris... but that is an american version ! Now, french versions come later, due to the translation...

When WC1 came out, all the games sold in France were in their original langage. That is why you have an American version. In fact I don't think a French version was released. Maybe the market was not big enough to spend money in translations.

Now, I like playing games in English because very often the voices sound better. Futhermore it makes me learn English in a funny way.
But I remember that when I was ten, I had a lot of difficulties to understand the plot of WC1. For instance when I first saw the final scene I was not sure if I had won or lost and I had to reread it many times to be perfectly sure I finished the game the "right way".
So translating games is very useful for all those who don't speak english very well. Specialy for kids.

But you're right the academicians who translate some technical words are *$%Mª® ! Very often it's ridiculous and the words lose their original "meaning". I think it is because these olds men don't know much about computer science.

Originally posted by Sadic
Futhermore it makes me learn English in a funny way.
Best way to learn :). No, really - it is. I still remember my first maths lesson after moving to an English-speaking country. If it hadn't been for Sid Meier's Pirates!, it would have taken me hours to figure out the meaning of 'divide'... ;)

LOL
What do you think how I feel like? I don't have to go to another country for that feeling...I get it every math lesson (and the lessons are held in my mother language, but even German transforms itself into Chinese then :) ).
But compared I once had a math lesson in French: "Il y en a des vecteurs...", that was fun!:) It was better than at home...
I love France!

Everything before the second release of WC2 Deluxe Edition was done by Origin rather than by EA -- and they didn't have the money to do simultaneous international releases.

It's almost necessary these days, though, since the larger game markets are places like Korea...

Originally posted by mpanty
You can add:

"courriel" (email)
"toile d'araignée mondiale" (world wide web) <G>
cédérom (you can guess that one! )
"coupe-feu" (firewall)
"bogue" (bug)
"boule de commande" (trackball)
"mémoire tampon" (buffer - for those who don't know: "tampon" means tampax, in French...

and the best for the end:

"enfilade" (thread)...

Vive l'Académie Française...

[Edited by mpanty on 06-04-2001 at 16:51]

Now i know im never gonna move to france and staying in canada :D

Back