WC! & 2 ship design...

Preacher, yes, but you might also notice that Hornets were still in service through to Wing 4, but you don't see them in it.

Just because a ship is used doesn't mean it has to be put into the game.

You know, I couldnt say. Its either an ex-Confed ship or a Border Worlds original because it has interchangable parts and is highly modular. One of those two.

Originally posted by akashra
Hrm, so was a Banshee once a Confed ship? How cool would have flying a Banshee in Wing 1 been !? :D

the banshee avenger and vindicator were all UBW originals (though the avenger is a modified shuttle)

Originally posted by Eder
I think most people think the long barrels look cool and the guys at Origin must have had the same opinion when they designed WC1-2.

Six big guns looks a lot more menacing than six little holes in the hull, no matter how much firepower comes out of them... think about the Jalthi

--Eder

Agree, the Wc1 and WC2 fighters with the long barrels would look extremely "dorkular" when they had little holes or short barrels instead of their long guns. They were designed to look cool with those guns and I think the ships in WC1 and WC2 look considerably better than in WC3.

But I was always amzed that the Ralari, as a destroyer, had fixed barrel weapons ;)

Yeh, the only ships that I reckon look any good after Wing 2 were the Banshee, Dragon and Panther... some were okay, but the Wing1 designs were just so much nicer... The Hornet, Raptor, Sartha, Dralthi... Sabre, Morningstar... :)
Course, there were a few ugly ones of course - Grikath, Jalkehi...
you get the idea.

I still think having the older ships in an updated engine is going to be ubercool though.

hmm...probably because I didn't start with them, I don't like alot of the WC1/2 ship designs. There some that are ok, like the Morningstar, Ferret, Epee (hey, it LOOKS good), but the WC3/4 ships are more my style. The WCP ship designs were just "ehh", not terrible, but not good.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Agree, the WC1 and WC2 fighters with the long barrels would look extremely "dorkular" when they had little holes or short barrels instead of their long guns.
I dunno, the WC2 Rapier didn't look so bad. <Imagines take-off scene where Blair gets into the fighter>

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
But I was always amazed that the Ralari, as a destroyer, had fixed barrel weapons.
Capship engagement? Planetary bombardment? I know what you mean, though, they were ridiculously long, and pretty much useless.

Is it just me, or did all the ships in WC2 just appear to look a fair deal larger than they did comparatively to in Wing 1... from the takeoff scenes, that is.

another possible reason for the long external weapons is cooling. i figure a powerful energy weapon would create a lot of heat. later models of the same weapons could've been made more efficient, creating less heat so they could be mounted internally without causing damage.

Heh...
/me imagines...
Fire guns, it makes the metal so hot that it melts and blocks up where it would have fired from... wouldn't have been shooting much if that happened :D

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
hmm...probably because I didn't start with them, I don't like alot of the WC1/2 ship designs. There some that are ok, like the Morningstar, Ferret, Epee (hey, it LOOKS good), but the WC3/4 ships are more my style. The WCP ship designs were just "ehh", not terrible, but not good.

I'm with ya on the WC1/2 ship designs; I too got started "halfway thru" (I cut my teeth on WC3), so most of the earlier designs look hopelessly retro to me. As far as more recent ships, I'm pretty cool with most of the designs that came during or since WC3.:)

Yeah, I suppose the WC2 ships look bigger. But remember that you only have a side view with the WC1 take-off, whereas you have a roughly isometric view in WC2.

But judging from the ship stats...
WC1: 20-25m, Raptor 36m
WC2: Broadsword 36m, Rapier 19m, Crossbow 24m, Epee 12m, Ferret 10m.

There could be a few errors, I just glanced at the database and wrote them from memory.

Back