WC 1 Sound?

Why do you need to trick it? Run the installation program, tell it you have a soundblaster.

The problem is that the installation program has to ask which drive I am installing from and which I am installing to. This is where it gets stuck because the files are already on the hard drive. Is there a way to trick the program into thinking its already installed so that the sound can be configured?

I have the old installation prog from the 3.5" disks so it always asks "Copy from which drive," then "Please insert WC disk 1" and this is where it gets stuck. Any suggestions?

Create a wingcmdr.cfg file in the main WC1 directory. You could stick "v a904 " without the quotes in the body.

Thanks but its still asking "copy from which drive" after I select the sound options and hit yes for "Is this config correct?"

You'd use:
mount X: D:\ -t cdrom
Where X: is your actual CD-ROM drive letter. Then run the installer off the CD in DOSBox.

Still doesn't work, its obvious somebody messed up by putting this A: drive installer on a CD because the program is so old that I don't think CD-Roms were in use yet. It recognizes my CDRom drive as another hard disk instead. Any ideas on how to trick the install program so the sound can be configured? The old floppies I had from like 12 years ago don't work anymore.

If this is like the WC2 deluxe CD I'll post on it later When I have time.

DaShawty00 said:
Still doesn't work, its obvious somebody messed up by putting this A: drive installer on a CD because the program is so old that I don't think CD-Roms were in use yet. It recognizes my CDRom drive as another hard disk instead. Any ideas on how to trick the install program so the sound can be configured? The old floppies I had from like 12 years ago don't work anymore.

If it thinks the CD-ROM is a hard drive, then it sounds like you didn't properly mount it as a CD-ROM. You can also easily make it the A drive by substituting the letter.

Anyway, now that I'm back, I'm wondering if this will work a bit like the WC2 CD.

In windows, copy the cd contents to a directory on your HD using windows explorer And run the install from the HD. Thus you avoid the CD/floppy dilemma all together. However even the WC2 CD has problems installing (and therefore setting up sound) from from the root directory of the CD. So I just copy the wing2 subdirectory to the HD and install in dosbox by using the (on HD, not CD)winstall file (not install, or setup) Otherwise it tries to copy to Hd whereas it doesnt need to, so winstall sets sound up.

Anyway I dont know if this will work with WC1 or not but hope it helps.

Its not like the wc2 CD, the installer for wc1 is primitive. Its asking "Please insert Wing Commander disk 1 into drive a:" and nothing I do will get it past that point.

So it works straight off the CD but no sound?

(i dont have wc1 cd to check) Is there any other exe's or bat's on the CD? What are they? Cause that's exactly what the wc2 installer does if you run the install file.

No it won't work if I try to play it from the CD, I copied all the files to my hard drive. The only other executable file on the CD doesn't work either.

Well, people back like 1995 had to install the game somehow, so you need to recreate the environment and situation they had back then. It's complicated, but DOSBox is flexible enough to allow you to do that. If I get time I'll try to pop one in tonight and record what I do step-by-step.

Try to remove the write protection from all of the files you copied to the HD.

They just said what to do, but I just compiled it all up for easier reading.

Manual Install
*To manually install the game to your hard drive (and to get past the "JOIN.EXE" problem for Windows '95 users), you must first be in MS-DOS.
*Change to your CD-ROM drive by typing the letter of the driver followed by a colon (eg. "D:")
*On the CD-ROM drive, type "CD\WING"
*From the D:\WING directory, type "XCOPY *.* C:\WING /E /S" to copy all files to your hard drive (about 18 megabytes, total).
*Change back to the C: drive and change directory to the C:\WING directory (type "CD\WING")
*While in the C:\WING directory type "EDIT WINGCMDR.CFG" and press enter.
*In the MS-DOS text editor that follows, type "V A904 Z" and then save the WINGCMDR.CFG file to your hard drive.
***Wing Commander 1 should now be ready to run!

"No JOIN.EXE, SUBST.EXE or APPEND.EXE files" or "Insert DOS data disk"
*If you do NOT have Windows 95 on your system, use the following steps. If you do use Windows 95, see NOTES section above.
*From the C:\ root directory, type "DELTREE C:\WING"
*Once the directory is deleted, type "EDIT JOIN.EXE"
*In the MS-DOS text editor screen, type "ORIGIN JOINFIX"
*"Save" the new JOIN.EXE file and "exit" the MS-DOS text editor.
*Reboot your system.
Reinstall Wing Commander 1.

Thanks everybody for your help the sound is finally working. I think the main problem was that I made the wingcmdr.cfg file in notepad so it was actually saved as wingcmdr.cfg.txt! Once I figured out how to change that the installer finally recognized that the game had already been installed. Thanks again!

John Goodroe

Back