Was watching Space Above and Beyond and...

Pedro

Admiral
Ok this is a TV show, which only ever saw one season, relegated to the sci-fi channel, but I love it, why is it that its acting, plotlines sets and most baffling given its increased age its special effects are so superior to the WC movie which was supposed to be a big hollywood flick.

I mean I originally defended the WC movie a lot but surely a movie is supposed to be of a higher calibur than a canned tv show, what was chris roberts on?

Ok so I've added nothing meaningfull but its been a long time since I posted here and thought it'd be nice to see a debate on the wc movie :rolleyes:

You know that the WCM debates degenerates to flames and those sort of things very fast
Use the ''search'' option :(

Wow... if you think SAaB's effects are better than those in the movie, you're on crack... SAaB's effects were fine at the time... but look horrible next to anything modern. They aren't even up to the standards of the early seasons of B5.

SAAB looks like a lower-rez version of the FX from the first season of Earth: Final Conflict.

SAAB was a great idea that never really got too far. Sad really.

Well I have seen nearly every episode of SAAB and I realy like it. It comes quite close to what a WC Series should/could looked like.
Also the FX was quite good, for its time, but as FX makes progress its surely not compareble to WC:M. Its more simple, but that dosn't make it bad.
So if there should be a WC Series in the futur...Chris should watch SAAB and learn from it, beside that fact that he should listen to the fans of WC and please them in the first place.
( A thing that was not done in the WC Movie...I can't forgive him what he has done/allowed to the Tigers Claw )

@Lea...what is Earth: Final Conflict? I am sure that it has a different name where I life, because they alwasy scruw up the titels.

pedro does have a point
SAAB is one of the finest tv shows that ive ever seen (am dloading em all on kazaa, have them all but 2 :mad: and theyre taking forever

as for what roberts "did to the tigers claw" the claw in the movie was the SWC claw, he did nothing that he hadnt done already, and to be honest, the acting was the bad part ;)

anyway SAAB's effects are ok, they dont beat modern stuff but its old so we dont expect it to. also, wasnt earth final conflict, the one with travolta and the silly hair? or was that something else, i never saw either ... any good?

SAAB's 3D stuff was pretty cheap looking -- it had some nice model work at points, though. The WC movie is unquestionably better looking FX-wise, though... Have you only seen it in theaters? Check out the DVD -- looks much brighter and more impressive.

As for costs -- SAAB was, back when it premiered, the most expensive TV show ever made... whereas WC was a fairly low budget movie.

Originally posted by Madman
pedro does have a point
SAAB is one of the finest tv shows that ive ever seen (am dloading em all on kazaa, have them all but 2 :mad: and theyre taking forever
agreeing with that

as for what roberts "did to the tigers claw" the claw in the movie was the SWC claw, he did nothing that he hadnt done already, and to be honest, the acting was the bad part ;)
Need a pic, never saw it...beside that its still quite...ugly...well at last somehow logical to build it that way.

anyway SAAB's effects are ok, they dont beat modern stuff but its old so we dont expect it to.
I think it looks quite good, except some capship battles, but the fighteraction is the best I have seen in TV

Well I've got the DVD but the WCM never made the theatres here in the UK :(, I think the problem is while SAAB gets transmitted in nice digital to me WCM wasn't even anamorphic so expanded to a 36" widescreen tv it looks pretty appauling. I think the effects still in SAAB were better done however they were less ambicous so it was easier to do a good job.

There's an anamorphic WC DVD... the R2 version with the blue cover (Finland/Norway/Denmark/Sweden, IIRC).

Thats intresting, and obviously being Region 2 more convenient for me, tho everything in the house except the X-box has been hacked already. Any online stores selling it?

Yeah those Hammerheads kicked Chiggie's arse.

Also having Bill Hunter as the Secretary General. I always knew an Australian would be leader of the world. We tend to be more level headed than some of our, uhhum...cousins...from across the Pacific :p

Originally posted by redwolf
Yeah those Hammerheads kicked Chiggie's arse.

Also having Bill Hunter as the Secretary General. I always knew an Australian would be leader of the world. We tend to be more level headed than some of our, uhhum...cousins...from across the Pacific :p

Agreed, Mexico sucks.

I liked SAaB, but I've got to say that I think it ended perfectly -- if they'd brought it back for a second season, the effectiveness of the first season finale would be completely lost.

Originally posted by Pedro
I mean I originally defended the WC movie a lot but surely a movie is supposed to be of a higher calibur than a canned tv show, what was chris roberts on?

I enjoyed WCM quite a bit, although I was disappointed at some of the differences between the established WC history. I really don't see what's worng with the special effects, but then again I'm no expert.
As to whether or not a movie is of a higher calibur, whether technical or content wise, to television isn't true. If you need proof simply go rent the orignal Gone In Sixty Seconds. The last chase scene was cool but the rest of the movie was so hideously, Painfully , horrible that I almost had to go into therapy for post traumatic stress syndrome.;)
The show was done real for real, as opposed to digital for real, because that's all they had at the time. But, personally, I thought The Dukes Of Hazzard was superior in just about every way.
Then again opinions on any media is all subjective and I acknowledge that.
I loved SAaB because, at the time, I was really craving a WC series and it was a great substitute. I did miss the end of it though. But I've got SCiFi now, yay:D , so I'll have to get back into it again.

Unofortunatley I'll be back at uni before the last episode airs, trying to download them but not having much luck, may have to fork out for those fan made DVDs from the reviewers tapes.

I do remember being completley shocked by it, I'm just one of those people who always wants more, maybe Stargate should end on season 7 of SG-1 but that doesn't mean I don't want the next movie or Stargate Atlantis (despite the appauling name)

Back