Was watching Space Above and Beyond and...

As I understand it Season 7 is spent searching for an ancients base, in Stargate Atlantis there is an earth operation set up in that base and the show follows that operation, the movie is supposed to link the two shows. Theres more detailed info on the net as well as interviews about the movie and new show but I can't remember the links off hand.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As for costs -- SAAB was, back when it premiered, the most expensive TV show ever made... whereas WC was a fairly low budget movie.

I thought the most expensive TV series was The Flash (y'know, that early 1990's superhero series)... costing $1,6 million per episode, mostly for the superspeed effects.

But rest assure my comrades, that Wing Commander IV: The Price Of Freedom is still recorded as the most expensive computer game ever produced... rumored to be around $10 - 12 million.

:cool:

We're well aware of the WC4 production costs. I think they're mentioned by LOAF at least twice a month for one reason or another.

I believe LOAF is correct with SAaB's costs though. I remembering each episode of SAaB required 1.5 million or thereabouts just for SFX, not counting actors, sets, Shirley Walker's score, etc.

Originally posted by TheFraix
I thought the most expensive TV series was The Flash (y'know, that early 1990's superhero series)... costing $1,6 million per episode, mostly for the superspeed effects.
$1,6 million is the lower end of mid-range TV series budgets these days. I don't know how it would have rated in the early 1990s, but I doubt that it would have been the most expensive show in production.

But rest assure my comrades, that Wing Commander IV: The Price Of Freedom is still recorded as the most expensive computer game ever produced... rumored to be around $10 - 12 million.
I'm pretty sure that just about every Final Fantasy game these days has a higher budget than that, and there's probably a bunch of others with such high budgets, too (although, admittedly, a lot of their budget goes towards marketing).

A shot in the dark here, but what I think people mean by production costs for WC4 is the "film" aspect. After that theres the game engine, the sounds, the foley, the rest of post-production, the voice actors, the beer to pay the programmers and Koosh balls.

I could be wrong there though.

As much as I like most FF games, the fanbase is horrifyingly dumb and annoying, like a room filled with the most hardcore B5/ Space 1999/ Thunderbirds fans.

You do have to wonder what would possess anyone to train up all their characters to around level 100 for 10 games in a row, and thats what the hardcore FF fans do. I can handle about 1 FF game every few years. They tend to have the balance pretty poor so you can race through to the final set of bosses (the last of which is usually completley random) and then need to spend 20-30 hours leveling up :p Nothing more dull than repeating the same battles over and over.

I'm surprised the production costs are that high though, I suppose pre-rendered backgrounds aren't cheap though their quality wasn't upto that of the more recent RE games which came nowhere near to the costs of WCIV. The voice acting was horrific in FFX, I would be surprised if they payed the actors more than $10 a piece. I suppose it must all go on that pretty but usually ever so pointless set of FMV sequences.

WCIV's stated budget was $8 million -- the FMV went over budget and EA, for whatever reason, decided that having spent lots of money was an excellent slogan for an ad campaign.

Game development has become increasingly expensive since 1996, though, and although no one is bragging about it anymore, WCIV is certainly *not* the most expensive game ever made -- unofficially, I believe that award goes to FreeLancer.

Originally posted by Pedro
I'm surprised the production costs are that high though, I suppose pre-rendered backgrounds aren't cheap though their quality wasn't upto that of the more recent RE games which came nowhere near to the costs of WCIV. The voice acting was horrific in FFX, I would be surprised if they payed the actors more than $10 a piece. I suppose it must all go on that pretty but usually ever so pointless set of FMV sequences.
I'm surprised to hear that; I found the voice acting in FFX pretty good, considering the huge amount of speech that had to be recorded for the game. I am still astonished by FFX's quality. Just put FFIX in your PS2 after playing FFX and feel the difference. Almost everything in FFX is 3D, even facial emotions, and characters interacting together. As for voice acting again, consider the fact that it tries to keep the japaneese tone.

Back