Want a Wing Commander Relaunch?

Would You buy a WC-Relaunch package

• Yes - under all circumstances

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • like above but please add things like Armada etc.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Yes - if it's not too expensive

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • like above but please add things like Armada etc.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok.... So a friend of yours has a Xbox, or someone in your family, right??

Or are you just a collector? That's a little bit too weird for me....

a collector of intangible goods if you dont have a 360 to play it on, its not like you get a box or anything!

I've got to assume to play on a friends.
Being a collector isn't weird, I've the 3DO, PSX and SNES versions of most of the games... I'm not weird... honest... the Japanese version of the SNES and Sega CD WC1 might be pushing my weirdness level though :|

I agree with you LOAF on the state of the virtual console, although I'm told applying to do original downloadable content is less of a headache, sadly I have no idea if its any less a headache to be approved.

I don't think EA has a structure for doing small-scale downloadable PC games...

Well, there's the EA Downloader (formerly EA Link). That is their answer to Steam, Direct2Drive, etc.

So really it's just a question of whether they think making a port is worth the costs (or a second round of idiot reviewers).

Don't worry about it -- the Wikipedia doesn't say why the FM Towns version was so darned important for a brief period of time!

... so I'll tell the story now. The FM Towns was (as that page says) the first system to include a CD standard -- and in the late 1980s and early 1990s the Japanese had (for whatever reason) the money and the interest in doing 'full speech' versions of games well before anyone else could. What's more, they did them in English... so over the years people have discovered increasing numbers of 'full speech' games - especially Ultimas (Ultima VI, even - a 1990 title) and old LucasArts adventure games.

So when we found out they did Wing Commander II for the system, we were excited. Wing Commander II was designed with full speech in mind... all Origin had to do was record the speech and plug it into the existing game. The talkie PC version was cancelled early on and it was never recorded... but here was an FM Towns version!

... unfortunately, I tracked it down and found that it didn't have speech. It did have *very cool* original artwork, as did Wing Commander I... and both of those games included Redbook audio tracks instead of MIDI music (Wing Commander I also added in-flight speech.)

Thus far, four games have been discovered for the FM Towns: WC1, WC2 Deluxe, The Secret Missions/Secret Missions 2 twin-pack and Wing Commander Armada. There's also a copy of Armada for the PC9821, another Japanese computer...

I think EA is very conscious about their image when it comes to that sort of project... I personally think that a remake of Wing Commander I would be a good way to reintroduce the series, but it isn't something that anyone has had any interest in at EA.

I think EA is very conscious about their image when it comes to that sort of project... I personally think that a remake of Wing Commander I would be a good way to reintroduce the series, but it isn't something that anyone has had any interest in at EA.

Which may or may not have something to do with the fact that it's been done once before already (with EA'a money I belive).

I would buy that package, even though I would end up having some games twice than. ;)

But this isn't very realistic:

[*]HOWTOs to run the games under e.g. DosBox (Multi-platform)

That's too complicated. A product with HOWTOs is the pure support hell for the publisher. Which is why very few games have support for Linux. The mulitude of possible builds creates a huge pool for possible problems.

Just keep buying space games. If they sell well, more publishers will be willing to pay for the development of them. Inclduing EA.

A friend of mine will work for EA soon. I guess I might finally get some real infos about EAs plans for the franchise.
So far I've only heard a few rumors.

What location within EA? They've got major development hubs all around the world (mostly North America, but at all corners of the continent). You might have to be pretty lucky to drop into an area where you'd catch reliable WC information.

I won't talk about that.
But I can tell you that he's not going to violate any NDA.
And it doesn't mean I can talk about anything I get to know about WC either, because when I get to know something, I will be NDAed too.

I'd love to see this happen, I didn't actually get to own and play the early games, the closest I ever got were roms which I had to delete after 24 hours and a very cool science teacher who let us play WC3 on his computer if we finished our class work early.
Never considered Gametap though, I'll have to give that a look.

Back