Want a Wing Commander Relaunch?

Would You buy a WC-Relaunch package

• Yes - under all circumstances

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • like above but please add things like Armada etc.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Yes - if it's not too expensive

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • like above but please add things like Armada etc.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CHMS

Spaceman
Hi there.

I'd like to ask EA (as they own of the rights for Wing Commander) to relaunch the WC series.

I mean a DVD (or DVD-Set) including
  • Wing Commander I, II, III, IV and V
  • all add-ons (like speech-packs and mission-packs)
  • HOWTOs to run the games under e.g. DosBox (Multi-platform)
  • patches for USB-joysticks
  • and (if available) different languages or at least english with different subtitles

Please vote to let EA (and me) know if the community wants a package like this.

The poll is open until February, 29th 2008.

Hi!
Well, there is (until December, 11th, IIRC) something like that.

After that we can only hope that it will come back one day.

You can download WC I - III on GameTap.
And IIRC the game versions there are made for windows so you can play them easily.
I don't know about USB-Joysticks and such things, I think it will work. But I don't think you can use more than two buttons on your joystick, just like in DOS. (Or can you??)

Sorry I have to ask (English isn't my native language and I'm also not too common with chat-shortcuts):

What do You mean by IIRC?

Well, there is (until December, 11th, IIRC) something like that.

Oops. I must have missed that in the search, but I only read the first page (used just "poll" to search and didn't want to read all the 200+ headlines)

I don't know about USB-Joysticks and such things, I think it will work. But I don't think you can use more than two buttons on your joystick, just like in DOS. (Or can you??)

Well, if the original game doesn' support more than 2 buttons, I don't think it ever will support more.
But I (and many more) do have an USB-joystick and want to use it for WC - even with only 2 supported buttons.

IIRC = If I recall correctly

There were some articles on the news page about the whole GameTap thing. I haven't tried it, but some of the guys here have. They can tell you what it is like.
But I fear you'll have to wait some hours, because most of the WC fans here are from the US. And it very early morning there at the moment. (Funny thing with that time zones, here in Germany it is already 11.00h)

I've just visited GameTap...

To get WC, WC II or WC IV for free You may have to wait for months...
... or You'll have to pay for it.

here in Germany it is already 11.00h)

weiss ich doch ;-)

Ich schau' dann heute abend nach der Arbeit wieder rein....

Hi there.

I'd like to ask EA (as they own of the rights for Wing Commander) to relaunch the WC series.(...)

While I am obviously quite in favour of a WC relaunch package (preferably with Aramda/Academy etc. but I'd buy a basic one as well) may I ask if you have any special plan to convince EA?

Or are you just going to send them an email "Hey, look: 42 people at this dedicated WC fan site would be willing to buy a WC relaunch DVD." Because I doubt that would do any good.

Regarding GameTap: it's not (yet) available in Germany and the news was that the WC games (among others) will not be supported any longer (starting December 11th).

Or are you just going to send them an email "Hey, look: 42 people at this dedicated WC fan site would be willing to buy a WC relaunch DVD." Because I doubt that would do any good.

Well, to be true that was the idea...

But I hope we will get really much more than 42 ;-)

If that's your plan, you may want to reconsider. Think really, really hard on this.

The numbers that would be needed for EA to even consider not tossing that in the trash are quite a few zeros more than anything that can be mustered here. Hundreds of thousands, at the very least, if not something in the million range. The couple thousand members here, even if everyone voted (which is exceedingly unlikely, at best), isn't even a blip on EA's radar, and would get lost in statistical error..

A Wing Commander Relaunch? WOW!! I'd love for this to happen. I am definitely supporting this movement 100 percent!

However, I don't think 42 is an accurate number of the amount of people who would buy a Wing Commander Relaunch DVD. There would definitely be more than that...

I find this kind of thing very interesting. Plus, it gives people who missed out on this great series (me) a second chance to experience it. Just think... Most people today have never even heard of Wing Commander. It would be an excellent opportunity to show the world what this awesome game is all about!

Yes, but he'll be lucky to get 42 votes -- people who post to this message board are a tiny subset of the people who visit the site... who are, in turn, a tiny subset of people who know Wing Commander in the first place.

Buying Arena is the best way to remind EA that there's an interest in Wing Commander.

I don't think EA has a structure for doing small-scale downloadable PC games...

... and there's increasingly little money in PC game development as it is.

I'd love to see such a thing, but perhaps more along the lines of the PoP update on 360 rather than a simple re-release (we're seeing Wing Commander cropping up, and dissapearing in small ways without attracting anyones attention).

I am convinced of the Wii's potential for responsive, yet easily accessible space combat control systems. With the new downloadable release service it would be fantastic to see a similar update of Wing Commander for the little white box.

I do with Nintendo and Sony would do a better job of reaching out to legacy third-party developers for their download service. We could see WC1 and 2 for the Virtual Console and WC3 and 4 for the PS3/PSP with almost no effort...

... but that's my complaint about Virtual Console in general - I've *played* Mario and Zelda and Ecco a dozen times over already. The SNES/N64/etc. releases that I didn't do when they were new were the weird third-party ones...

[*]HOWTOs to run the games under e.g. DosBox (Multi-platform)
[*]patches for USB-joysticks

They wouldn't do "how-to guides" to get a regular retail release to play. Our own hardcore visitor base has trouble with DOSBox half the time. Regular consumers who've never seen DOS before would never figure it out. As part of any rerelease, the games would have to boot up and play automatically. This probably isn't a big deal. It's what was done for WC1, WC2 and WC4 on GameTap, and other commercial rereleases like the Sierra Quest games literally bundle in DOSBox and have preprogrammed routines that launch it along with the game. DOSBox automatically works with almost all USB joysticks as well.

The poll is open until February, 29th 2008.

Leap year day!

Heck, why don't they just put it out on store shelves? :D

I would be surprised if Arena didn't get a physical release down the line. Microsoft has one 'official' Live Arcade compilation for like $20, and another company just released a second. I'd definitely bet we'll see an EA one once they get four or so games out for XBL Arcade. I think they're popular. People eat up "five games for $30" compilations for gifts and such, especially with 360 games being relatively expensive. Both of the sets out now are labeled "Volume 1." In a year or two, I think there'll be quite a few more on shelves.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-882..._5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1196748832&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/PopCap-Games-...5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1196748832&sr=8-15

Buying Arena is the best way to remind EA that there's an interest in Wing Commander.

You're right, LOAF. If I had an Xbox even I would buy it (or if it was on PC), although I'm not a fan of it. But it is still a WC Game. That would be the reason to buy it. Just to remind EA there are still WC Fans out here. And maybe they would produce another Wing Commander in the "old style" with cockpits and things like that.....

*Aginor slaps himself* I have to stop dreaming and go back to work.......

Back