Vote For Vibes (October 28, 2006)

C

CIC

Our latest poll results indicate that quite a few people are behind in their game time. While you sleep, they'll be waiting. Maybe there's just a lot of people anxious for Wing Commander 1 on the PSP to get a replay of the entire series going. Don't forget that Prophecy owners can now play with high quality videos and both WCP and Armada can be played online.
The next poll asks which television show makes you think of Wing Commander the most. A few prime candidates have been provided. This poll was originally suggested by Alex Hansen.

How long has it been since you last played a WC game?

Hours
9.38%
orangeblock.gif

Days
9.90%
orangeblock.gif

Weeks
12.47%
orangeblock.gif

Months
28.66%
orangeblock.gif

Years
39.59%
orangeblock.gif

Ended October 28, 2006 | 1748 votes

--
Original update published on October 28, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Privateer count? Firefly isn't getting many votes but I actually found myself wondering if the show wasn't slightly influenced by Privateer.

Well, in my opinion SAAB has a more closer vibe to Wing Commander: alien invaders, space marines, space fighters and carrier ships.

While the classic Battlestar Galactica has been one of the inspiration for the Wing series, the Galactica is still no Tiger's Claw. Plus the modern story of Cylon robots and humanoid infiltrators... very less-WC to me.

Hmm... am I talking any sense here?

I also think SAaB is is the closest to Wing commander:
- It also starts with a disastrous first contact.
- a lot of the episodes focus on a particular mission, very WC like
(instead of one man, there's the 58'th that turns the tide in the war)
I particularly liked the one where Col. Mcqueen takes on the Chig's top ace, reminded me of Blair against Thakkath :cool:

But frankly, even though it resembles Wing Commander less, I like the new Battlestar Galactica more.
The old BSG was a bit childish/simplistic, but in the new show, the lines between the good & the bad have blurred a lot, and the characters have a lot more depth
Even Baltar siding with the cylons is very believable.

Yes but I am not familiar with the choices... Lived to long in a cave I think.

Is the Battlestar Galactica listed on the poll the new show or the original BSG? If it is the original BSG than I would definately vote for it. To me, it gave off that classic sci-fi vibe of the struggle of good versus evil. While the new show still does this to some extent, it doesn't have the same appeal to me. Call me nostalgic, but i prefer the look and feel of the classic BSG.

Dran said:
Yes but I am not familiar with the choices... Lived to long in a cave I think.

Well, since they're mostly popular science-fiction things, a google or wikipedia search should deliver tons of information on each.

ck9791 said:
Is the Battlestar Galactica listed on the poll the new show or the original BSG?

It's whatever you want it to be.

what happened to space above and beyond anyways? I remember watching it back in the day but I can't recall if there was ever really an ending to it... Does anyone play reruns of it anyomre?

btw, my votes towards saab being the closest to wing commander.

The whole series came out on DVD a year ago. It had a pretty sad finale.

I used to watch it on Fox Brasil, but I never got to see the ending. I read about it, tought, it really seems sad. Maybe I'll grab the DVD and check it out.

I had to put B5 as it's my fav sci-fi series. I recently just got all 5 seasons for $225 from Warner along with Crusade...

feels good to put my asian bootleg editions into a box so that I won't ever have to deal with crappy DVDs again...

Dundradal said:
I had to put B5 as it's my fav sci-fi series.

I think that's why Battlestar has the most votes in the poll, but that's not really what the question asks..

It's quite amazing that a show like S:AAB that only ran for one season and hasn't been around for a LONG time now still comes up regularly.
Definitely was my favourite sci fi show regardless of how short-lived it was. Firefly is fairly comparable, it had less episodes but had a movie, but also is still fairly new in people's minds.

As I dont know Starcom, Macross or Freddie I will comment on the comparisons between WC and the other 4 on the list. To be honest I dont think any of them are really THAT comparable to WC.

WC & BSG comparison - a lot of BSG is non-space battle oriented. And the part of it that is consists generally of one or two capital ships per side and a bunch of fighters (pretty much all of the exact same type - there was a stealth ship for a while and a cylon ace, but he was pretty much still a raider, just a nasty one)... and the identification with the characters is pretty good, much like WC.
BSG's WC Comparison score: 2/5

WC & Babylon 5 - lots of space action involving multiple races, like WC. Different races have multiple different types of ships but still mostly all have just the one type of fighter. Falls down a bit further when you consider almost no pilots are major characters. Includes wars where multiple races work together. Still, it's based on a space station, not a carrier.
Babylon5's WC Comparison score: 2.5/5

WC & Firefly - Perhaps if you were to compare it to something like Privateer it might score a bit better... but there's no dogfighting, no fighter pilots, no aliens, and a light-comedic feel to a lot of it. I think Farscape would be more comparable to WC than this.
Firefly's WC Comparison score: 1/5 (the 1 is because it's in space)

WC & Space: Above & Beyond - Focuses on pilots, so that's a plus. Is against an alien enemy seemingly bent on the destruction of humanity, so there's another plus. Not much variety in fighters on either side - I believe the humans just have hammerheads and the enemy has I think three different types of fighters, a corvette/destroyer style ship and the bigger capital ships. Identification with the characters is good, and Hawkes is reasonably similar to Maniac just as West is pretty close to Blair. I suppose you could say Vansen is like Angel too... and just to top it off their commanders both have white hair (Tolwyn and McQueen).
S:AAB's WC Comparison score: 4/5.

Anyone else want to break down their analysis?

gwydion said:
It's quite amazing that a show like S:AAB that only ran for one season and hasn't been around for a LONG time now still comes up regularly.
I think the reason it comes up regularly on this site is because it's so similar to Wing Commander. Of these shows S:AAB gets my vote as most similar to WC. A show focused on fighter combat on a space carrier.

gwydion said:
Identification with the characters is good, and Hawkes is reasonably similar to Maniac just as West is pretty close to Blair. I suppose you could say Vansen is like Angel too... and just to top it off their commanders both have white hair (Tolwyn and McQueen)
Gwydion's analogy of characters seems pretty good. In addition to that, we've got the asian guy=Vagabond.. S:AAB's character is into sports/Vagabond is into gambling; they are also known for being superstitious. black girl=Cobra.. S:AAB's character seems to emulate Cobra's hairstyle. The similarities are close enough that one could reasonably guess that they were trying to capitalize off of Wing Commander's popularity by emulating the game.

It seems to me that the old BSG is most similar to the first WC game and the Secret Missions; where all the pilots were generally cordial to each other (with the exception of Maniac). The new BSG reminds me more of 3 and 4 (and from what I've read about WC:p) since these games have a darker vibe to them. Of couse the problem with that analogy is that I prefer WC3 and 4 over WC1 and prefer the old BSG to the new one. I do like the graphics on the new one though, but the events, character behaviors, and subject matter are just a bit too dark and twisted for my taste.

I tried to get into Babylon 5, but the shows I watched rarely seemed to have fighter combat, and the show tended to bore me.. unfortunately.. maybe I just happened to see the most boring shows when I happened to tune to it?

Firefly was awesome, but not too much similarity to Wing Commander except perhaps the tension between the crisp, clean, controlling, sometimes corrupt Confed and the sloppier, ragtag, freedom loving Border Worlds.

Wang and Vagabond are similar in some ways.. but I wouldnt compare Cobra with Damphousse. Wayyy too different apart from skin colour.
I find it highly unlikely that Wing Commander was an inspiration for S:AAB, even more so that they would try and copy character traits. The similarities I put down to coincidence.

I find it highly unlikely that Wing Commander was an inspiration for S:AAB, even more so that they would try and copy character traits. The similarities I put down to coincidence.
The similarities 'could' be a coincidence. It seems more probable to me that they were capitalizing, at least in part, on WC3's popularity.. Wing Commander 3 was released in 1994 and Space:AAB was released a year or two after. Wing Commander 3 was VERY popular and had too large of a budget to go unnoticed. While I doubt Wing Commander was 'the' inspiration (though it's possible), I would certainly bet it was an influence, and quite possibly 'an' inspiration.

Back