View Virtual Victory Video (January 5, 2006)

That would be kind of creative. Things like that also help to differentiate "north/south" on maps that might otherwise be largely symmetrical or plain. It doesn't sound like you even need a troop ship really. A Kamekh has a crew, and a Kilrathi crew would make plenty fine opponents on their own.

ChrisReid said:
That would be kind of creative. Things like that also help to differentiate "north/south" on maps that might otherwise be largely symmetrical or plain. It doesn't sound like you even need a troop ship really. A Kamekh has a crew, and a Kilrathi crew would make plenty fine opponents on their own.

Ok I'm convinced! Thats how I'll go. Now, a potentially huge undertaking is to make a movie of this to go at the begining before the interface.. an intro to explain the map... Theoretically I could do it in engine too but thats a little more involved than I can handle at the moment. I'm going to do some "storyboards" and either they'll go in as is (kinda homeworld style), or someone could be so kind as to volunteer to do it in 3D for me. (hint hint Striker :) )

I might go ahead and see if I can model a kamekh myself... but I have no Idea how that will turn out. We'll see I guess.

Nice work AD! The map seems to be progressing well and looks to have been realised more or less to scale with the Victory.

As far the background images go, I definately prefer the WC4 flightdeck rendering as a first choice, not only because it augurs the map's gameplay and layout, but it is also a very clean and professional image. Working the other images into the menu or UI would be cool though, or perhaps rotating a number of backgrounds during each menu access.

Look forward to following the map's development. :cool:

Cheers,

BrynS

So I finally figured out the process for getting ships into HL2. So far it works best with 3DStudio max. Thanks to some help from Bob and a rapier from Marc, I can show you I'm not lying. I can't remember where Bob got the Hellcat.

Even though I like Marcs model, it doesnt really look that good in it's current form. The problem is scale I think. The two ships in these screens are roughly to scale. (19M rapier, 27M Hellcat) I think the size is actually goo and when walking under them they seem appropriatly bulky.

So I built a little showroom for them (cause its faster to compile than the whole map) and here they are. Plus I tinkered with a bumpmap for both and gave the rapier a glossy paint job. (I absolutely love how after the fact of compiling the textures and models its a simple tweak to adjust how reflective things are and what not (and how transparent... if you want)

I really need someone skilled who can adjust models and make them look more natural. With skilled bumpmapping and such much detail can be left to the texture. It's also possible to make parts of the models glow. Transparent cockpits would be usefull too. That hellcat was tiny and scaling it up it doesnt look so good (and the colors are a bit wierd). Poly limit is 25000/model but for example a HL2 hellicopter is somewhere arounf 6-8000. This ships most likely wont be moving so we can probably get away with more than 6500 without the performance suffering too much. Most of the reason stuff looks great in HL2 is because of the texturing.

Attachments

• Hellcat.JPG
    Hellcat.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Twoships.JPG
    Twoships.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 80
And the Rapier.... I decided to toss a grenade at it so you can see that in the second shot.

Attachments

• Rapier (marc) source test.JPG
    Rapier (marc) source test.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 70
  • rapier grenaded.JPG
    rapier grenaded.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 77
Back