Video Card

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
now that I've got the sound thing settled pretty much, can anybody tell me of a video card which will run WCP with all it's options and no reticle problems or anything like that?
I could't find any new voodoo 2/3 cards, like were suggested, so, it there anything else I could use?

I can't find any stores with any 3dfx chips. I went to 3dfx.com and all I got was some thing about turning over to nVidia...
any others that would work?

If you don´t have a 3dfx, the best option is IMO a TNT2, i have this and play ALL the WC games from the I to WCP. you must download a patch for D3D to work well (flare lens)

don't buy a 3dfx card don't be silly!!!!
3dfx time is over just wait till the price for geforce 2 drops an then buy this stuff!

If I were trying to set up a Prophecy machine, I'd buy an original Voodoo card off of eBay. Cheap and effective -- and the only thing that can play the 3Dfx test mission...

If you want a cheap but good card that'll run Prophecy GREAT, go for a Diamond Viper II. Same price as a TNT 2, much better performace, and absolutely no reticle bugs or any other problems with Prophecy. You won't get fog effects like with a 3DFx card, but since 3DFx is dead anyway...

[Edited by Shadowcat450 on 04-25-2001 at 19:23]

I just got a geoforce 2 mx card, can i run SO in glide mode with it? It only appears to accept it in direct3d mode, wich causes reticle and lens flare problems...:(

Glide is for Voodoo chipsets only. You can find and download Glide 'wrappers' that emulate voodoo cards, but they're often buggy in one way or another.

TC

hey, thanks for your guys help, i just bid and won on a Voodoo 3 card. Now all I need is to get a Sound Blaster, and I can play Wing Commander Prophecy in full compliance with my gaming standards (perfect!):).

hey, in case i made a major mistake and my computer has a PCI port instead of an AGP, is there some sort of adapter for changing them?

I never heard of a PCI/AGP adaptor. The archetecture of the communications between the card and the mobo (motherboard)are completely different between PCI and AGP. But it wouldnt suprise me if there is. I mean, they made adaptors for old 30 pin sticks of memory to fit and work into a 72 pin simm socket, who knows!!

RFB

I have a new Hewlett-Packard computer, would it most likely have an AGP?

I asked the guy I bought it from, and he said that most new computers have AGP's, was he just lying to get me to waste my money on him?

[Edited by Mav23 on 04-27-2001 at 17:37]

Most systems from the PII and up use AGP ports. But it should have PCI slots in there as well. You can always disable or remove that AGP card and get a PCI card and use that instead. Chances are, if your HP is less than a year old, its using an AGP graphics card.

RFB

Back