VDU rear camera in wing commander

I was so excited that pushing F4 in your Tarsus just got you the back of the cockpit/flight deck.

F4 is the rear view--the rear VDU (where you see what's behind you in the VDU) is CTRL-F4.

I was so excited that pushing F4 in your Tarsus just got you the back of the cockpit/flight deck.

I loved that idea. Personally, I want those cockpits back. While I like the WCP-Cockpits, I was a bit disappointed, that they were only displayed on the Front-Camera.

Did anyone see the Cockpits in X2? They were great.

I loved the tarsus cockpit. It's one of the great stuff in privateer, it felt like i really was inside the cockpit.

I miss the cockpits as well; I really think their removal was the worst thing about Wing Commander IV. The claim at the time was that they weren't worth the effort and and memory because players just turned them off as soon as a mission started. I didn't really believe that--how would they measure that, even?--but even if it's true they're still necessary for establishing the 'feel' of the game.

Wing Commander really isn't a game that you want to play as *efficiently* as possible, like multiplayer Quakes and the like were becoming at the time.

Was it wc3 the one when you could turn cockpit off?
I never did :)

In fact, i'm replaying Freespace 1 right now and that's a thing i don't like, no cockpit...

I remember flying the Broadsword for the first time. It was so bulky, I was feeling invincible! I wasn't :(.

Was it wc3 the one when you could turn cockpit off?
I never did :)

In fact, i'm replaying Freespace 1 right now and that's a thing i don't like, no cockpit...

Armada was the first, and WC3 continued it. The feature was also retroactively added to WC1&2 in the Kilrathi Saga.

I dont think there is someone here who didnt enjoy that :)
All the Views in Tarsus where great, it had such a great feeling that you are
actually in an old typical merchant type Cargo Craft :)

While flying I was switching views (F2-F3-F4) and felt like Han Solo or something ! (ok I know Burrows is tougher :p)

As Bandit said , removing this feature ,removed some of the feeling as well :(

Glad there's a concensus in favour of the cockpit, I still maintain they add realism and a real first person element to the games. Last time I mentioned how much I missed them, the sentiment wasn't best received in here:

Draw one on paper and stick it over your screen if you really want to try the effect.

:D

I think there's probably overwhelming support for cockpits, but your last thread was about adding them into WC4, which is a different question. Few people are probably able to even really discuss the subject beyond acknowledging it would be hard.

There actually is a screen attachment for WC4 and a keyboard cover for Prophecy. Making stuff like that would be a great project for someone to take up.

There actually is a screen attachment for WC4 and a keyboard cover for Prophecy. Making stuff like that would be a great project for someone to take up.

Screen attachment? What's this?

I've often wondered how hard it would be to mod WCIV to include cockpits, the game engine appears to be similar to its predecessor in III.

Screen attachment? What's this?

I think Chris is talking about the cardboard 'screen frame' promo Origin sent to stores for Wing Commander IV... it's not too excuting--just a cardboard cutout with all the controls listed on it (they were supposed to mount it on demo machines showing the game). They're also pretty useless in the 21st century because they are sized for 14" CRTs.

I think Chris is talking about the cardboard 'screen frame' promo Origin sent to stores for Wing Commander IV... it's not too excuting--just a cardboard cutout with all the controls listed on it (they were supposed to mount it on demo machines showing the game). They're also pretty useless in the 21st century because they are sized for 14" CRTs.

Hey, i still have one of those :p

F4 is look to back , I think VDU camera in cockpit small screen in right up. Some on help please in youtube video when start mission every put on but how??

Back