Values/Ethics in WC

Amen.

What legal status does Confed have in the Gemini Sector anyway? The Militia is sort of local security/policing agency (funded/authorized by whom?), but Confed acts it out abit too much.
Sure, it's a frontier sector, it's still a war situation, and the military are operating - but there are also civilians that are not directly connected to Confed (at least I can't see Oxford as a military school). So, who's the ruling body over all of tis? Admiral Terrell? (sp?)

What legal status does Confed have in the Gemini Sector anyway?

Certainly its so-called war powers are dominant in 2669, which perhaps muddies the picture otherwise. But the Guide contributes a curious statement: “Most centers of civilization in Gemini are Confederation planets.” It also notes that Confed has “numerous outposts . . . designed to deter the encroaching Kilrathi foes”. The 2678 map shows the entire sector as part of the Confederation

I'm not clear on what you're asking - the Confederation is a government, not a giant military force. The Gemini Sector is part of that government - it has a sector governor, sends representatives to the senate in Washington, has a local capital system, etc.

Does the fact that Harvard isn't a military academy mean that Massachusets isn't part of the United States? It's just a weird question.

(A militia is generally a less professionally army that's raised locally in resposne to an emergency, versus the Confederation forces which are the professional soldiers funded by and issued orders from the central government.)

Well I think I read something about the concordias beeing cheaper and more easily mass produced as a reason why this design survived during the whole war on the Fleet Tactics site from psych and jibbo and altough i do not not how offical this site is, it seems that all ship histories are well thought out and very logical. And I hope you agree LOAF that the fact that the concordia-carrier-design survives the whole war (if its true that this is a pre-war design) where the more superior Bengals (or Confederation-classes because even without PTC they are surley the more sophisticated design) arent produced during the whole war leaves at least a bit room for speculation that they are either more cost or more time intensive (or both) to build. (altough there could be other reasons I am not aware of, as i said just speculation )

A good deal of the information in Fleet Tactics is information created to flesh out the site and not anything officially established about the Wing Commander universe.

We really don't know which sort of ship is more common or more expensive - Bengals were also produced for a very long time (2619 to 2657). We have a rough idea that there were five yards building Bengals and eight building Concordias -- and that's all we really know about carrier production.

I guess I need to apologize, wear the pointy hat, and stand in the corner for a while.

Before I wrote that post, I thought about the legal status of slavery as used in Elite, where you have planetary governements of different types, allowing or prohibiting slavery accordingly. Whereas in Privateer, there is not much to see of the planets and respective governing bodies as well (except the military presence of Confed).

So I was led to the conclusion that the Gemini sector is not fully under the jurisdiction of the Conferderation, or "part of" Confed. From the player's perspective, the people you meet present an understanding of "us" and "Confed", a certain air of distance to the official powers. It all added up to the question: Is Gemini a true frontier, and Confed is trying to make it part of the Confederation? If so (and by the presence of "independent non-government agencies", such as Roman Lynch, if thought to have some confirmation), then the presence of militia and the struggle of Confed's law enforcement seemed a bit questionable. The presence of a large university is a bit strange under the circumstances, too - but would fall under the "independent agencies" category.

But now that you say it, I do remember Governor Menesch in RF (but I also seem to remember that you had to hunt him down, because he turned out to be a criminal). So there is an official hold of the Confederation on Gemini, making all its inhabitants confederate citizens - and also instituting Confed as the legislative, judicative and executive force.

But, heck, I don't see the people live it. Granted, it may be only the people you meet when you follow a privateer lifestyle.

Terrel is the commander of the fleet stationed in gemini. He's responsible for the fight against the Kats and major disturbances like a Retro Insurection and the rampaging Steltek Drone. Militias are what loaf said, and they act like some kind of police, protecting shipping lanes from pirates and the stray retro.

Thing is, even though Gemini is 100% part of Confed, it doesn't have enough resources to enforce Confed laws as well as they should. It is quite similar to the old west.

Also, Martial Law has been declared, which would undoubtedly give the Confed forces a much freer hand, and larger powers and responsibilities over law enforcement. (Seeing as that's basically what martial law is)

Well, I think the SP and the Navy are pretty much responsible for the patrolling and doing the police job on Gemini, alongisde the militia. The only other force I remember on the games is the ISS where Blair gets trown at before WC2.

Anyway, who does the security/police job? Regular military, Militia, ISS, or some other corps.?

Anyway, who does the security/police job? Regular military, Militia, ISS, or some other corps.?

The militia in Gemini are more equivalent to 'police in space' -- the game certainly applies a lot of the American police officer stereotypes to them. This is probably also what makes them distinct from Home Defense and ISS units, which are assigned locally but only for external defense.

That's right. But don't Confed ships also scan our cargo?

Another thing... They imply on WC2 that ISS rarely if ever encounter Kilrathi, so what do they do anyway? :p

Delance said:
That's right. But don't Confed ships also scan our cargo?

Another thing... They imply on WC2 that ISS rarely if ever encounter Kilrathi, so what do they do anyway? :p

I'd suggest they're the equivalent of the Coast Guard - they're military in structure, but they're meant more to handle the 'home' duties while regular or reserve units get sent out onto the front lines.

Flash's Home Defense unit hadn't fought the Kilrathi, either - an ISS unit somewhere on the front lines where Kilrathi raids are more frequent would probably see a lot more action than the unit at Gwynedd did.

I'd say Haesslich has it about right - the ISS is most likely the equivalent of the Coast Guard. Both its name (In-System Security) and its tiny cameo in Priv ("Watch out for In-Sys, man!" - one of the friendly comms you could send to pirates) certainly seemed to imply that it was an organisation more concerned with local security issues than with the Kilrathi (although, obviously, sometimes the Kilrathi would become a local security issue :p).

Back