Ue2

scheherazade

Rear Admiral
maybe UE2 should be in VS.

just cause its open source and will support multi very soon. would be fun to coop through missions.

just as a demo of capability (this is not vega strike, though it is the vega strike engine in action), it can do some wicked looking stuff. take a look at pics of somone has set up in a privateer side project for VS : http://hellcat.zapto.org/centie/

also wc universe project has converted what looks like 3/4 of all wc fighters ever... and a few caps.

vs has grown up a lot. it'd be a shame to ignore it for UE2. if you're gonna do UE2, at please consider vs as a possible medium.

just trying to draw attention to something that i think has a lot of potential.

-scheherazade

it is slow, and the ai is lame. but you can change that any time. variables for it are all in the config files. you can make it run better.

so far no one has bothered and put attention into adding more features. but its pretty feature packed right now. i'll prolly work on the ai some after i do a navigation system. i'll prolly add visible weapons after that, so if you buy a certain gun you can see it :).

-scheherazade

To be honest we're planning to make UE2 a continuation of UE and therefore using the same engine means we can reuse many many files and infact make UE2 an addon to UE1 ;)

ah' i c. recycling is good :)

well it makes sense, good luck with it then.

-scheherazade

To be fair, I'm sure the bug problems in the past few days have made us far more willing to consider an alternative engine, but the advantage of recycling is still very significant.

Bugs haven't been that bad, have they? [Programming bugs, I mean.]

Originally posted by Pedro
To be honest we're planning to make UE2 a continuation of UE and therefore using the same engine means we can reuse many many files and infact make UE2 an addon to UE1.
Heh, an add-on to an add-on, very amusing. :) Recycling is always good.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Bugs haven't been that bad, have they? [Programming bugs, I mean.]
Don't ask.

Seriously, some of them were incredibly frustrating. That's the trouble with complex missions - the bigger they get, the more opportunities there are for bugs. And it doesn't help that some aspects of WCP/SO missions tend to be a bit unpredictable. Basically, we were coding missions for an engine which is not entirely understood, with tools which were not entirely finished. Plenty of room for bugs there... :p

I thought you meant in the final product. I haven't had any disastrous bugs (other than being thrown into Windows all the time, but that's a product of poor hardware, not programming), it's good that you've managed to squash most, if not all of them.

Yeah... I would really, really hope we squashed most of them, because I don't think I could handle another bug-crushing round ;).

Can't be anything major, since some people appear to have completed UE already. At least one path through the mission tree, anyway.

Back