UE x SO

Originally posted by Lance Casey
but even better for UE a capturing of an Nephilem fighter would be a nice twist don't you think???:D
Not really, no :p. Sorry, but this idea has come up a few times before. It sounds really great when it first occurs to you... but then, as you start thinking about how it would be done and how unimpressive the end results would be, you realise that it's just not worth even thinking about.

Originally posted by Quarto
but then, as you start thinking about how it would be done and how unimpressive the end results would be, you realise that it's just not worth even thinking about.

Yeah, they aren't so strong individually. You could use it for an infiltration mission, it has been done before on WC1 SM2, Freespace or Starlancer. While the freelancer and the WC missions were actually cool, the starlancer one sucked.

I don't like much this kind of mission myself, because they tend to make it about avoiding getting close to the enemy patrols, what can get boring very fast. But it's a matter of personal taste.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Which is good, IMHO. It feels odd to be constantly operating almost independently all the time in other games - in Sol sector, of all places, there should be plenty of other Confed ships to work with, and there was.

It's nice to fly a mission with other confed forces, people still cheerfully remember the 2 rapiers from the TCS Kyoto on WC1. And it was very interesting to operate with so many different confed forces on WCSO.

Originally posted by Needaham45
What about the music?

I like the music of WCSO, it was a nice experience to play a WC game with that kind of music. ERm, how do you classify the WCSO music?

Originally posted by Wedge009
For all its faults, I still think SO was a good thing. People are forgetting that they originally released it free.

What WC game doesn't have any faults, anyway?

Originally posted by Delance
What WC game doesn't have any faults, anyway?

Everything has faults, but some have more than others. So you can't nullify its faults by saying everything has faults.

Originally posted by Delance
I like the music of WCSO, it was a nice experience to play a WC game with that kind of music. ERm, how do you classify the WCSO music?

I call it rock/techno - not what I usually listen to. I can appriciate it, but I personally don't really think it has a place in a WC game anywhere but maybe the credits. This is somewhat obvious as I went with the orchestral, fanfarish march sound of the earlier games for UE, and plan to use a similar style (but a bit more of the fanfare and orchestral than march) for UE2.

Re: Re: UE x SO

Originally posted by TC
The Hades class carries 30 fighters. There were six pilots on the Cerberus.

Okay, 30 craft, 6 pilots? 6 pilots to cover a multi billion credit carrier? You have to be kidding right?

C-ya

It's been quite a time since I last played, but confed wasn't expecting the second bug invasion. The Cerberus was new and it was peace time, so the ship wasn't fully equipped yet.

I never really considered the low number of pilots in SO to be a problem, personally. Sure, it wasn't realistic (whatever that means, considering this is a space "sim" we're talking about here), but it reminded me a lot of SO1/2, which was probably the point. And hey, I dinna hear any complaints about how Maniac managed to eject in every mission and still have his Morningstar :).

In the game there a lot of things happening that actually never happened in the "real" timeline.So Maniac never ejected during the SO missions ;)

Anyway ,I agree that UE is much much better than SO and ofcourse more more more more more challenging.I just wish there were more missions...........................:cool:

Originally posted by Lance Casey
personally that main plasma gun on the Ceberus is alot weaker than that one that the Midway picked up so it wouldn't help much anyway against the CAP Ships well if they could get a little more creative with the weapons to be toe to toe with the Nephilem weapons
The Nephilim's plasma weapon is specifically designed to destroy entire fleets. The Cerberus' plasma gun, by comparison, is only a similar weapon of the Plunketts, which have 12.

Originally posted by Needaham45
I call it rock/techno.
A bit odd, isn't it? Aren't groups like Prodigy and Chemical Brothers classed as something like Electronica? It's not your standard club techno, it's certainly a bit more heavy than that. Then again, I'm terrible with genres, and why the need to classify stuff? As Mike Shinoda says, people like to make up labels so they can "water it down".

Originally posted by Viper61
6 pilots to cover a multi billion credit carrier?
The Cerberus is a cruiser, not a carrier. IIRC, Plunketts carry 15 fighters, not many more than 6.

Not quite sure of the need, but hey, someone asked and I answered with my opinion. It is heavier than club techno, but it still is techno - it's deffinately electronic music, and has elements of rock... y not just call it Heavy Techno?

I found UE to be more enjoyable than SO. I loved flying the scim, the epee, and the banshee. Especially since i never played WC2 or WC4. I did like the more fleet like atmosphere of SO. Operating with the cruisers, destroyers, and stations was really cool. It gave you the feeling that you were part of a real war effort and not just on a supership capship saving the day. Also the specialization inherent in the Plunkett and Murphy designs was great. THe plot did stink though. It had no drama and the story was told in a bad way through emails and such. UE does it much better. And no Maniac!!! As to the discussion of Prodigy, I dont really like their music but their live album is just incredible. So much energy and raw anger. Great stuff to listen to and study to. Later

Re: Re: Re: UE x SO

Originally posted by Viper61
Okay, 30 craft, 6 pilots? 6 pilots to cover a multi billion credit carrier? You have to be kidding right?

It's probably more than 30 craft, when you count shuttles and replacements. It had 6 pilots on its maiden voyage. And it's a Quick Strike Cruiser, not a Carrier.

You also have to look @ the different philosophies of the Bugs versus Humans... the bugs seem to like the pokepokepoke (fighters) CRUNCH (CSM or FKP at their option). Humans on the other hand, like to do cut-cut-cut (effective fighters and capships that would off exposed components in one shot... IF the AI could target components...). Someone should attempt to make missions wherin the Plunketts are actually positioned where their big guns can kill Bug ships, if you can keep them alive long enough....

It'd be hard to do, given that the Plunkett's guns won't actually do anything unless they hit components.

I still remember Locke's capship mission where Murphys were fitted with plasmas and ordered to kill capships. Looked quite funny seeing a Murphy manoeuvre around a giant Nephilim ship to take out its components, but it did manage it. :)

Back