UE x SO

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
(I guess a "vs." thread between WC games won´t hurt...)

I just got done playing SO again and, comparing it to UE, I say that UE is a MUCH better game, because:

1 - The UE staff didn´t have the money, tools or previous knowledge of the game engine like the SO staff, and still pulled off a wonderful game.
2 - The UE story is much more interesting and well developed (Endgame C path is one of the most thrilling WC losing paths, along with WC3´s.)
3 - The UE missions, despite few, are well developed and always have some kind of surprise or extra difficulty, not just that "fly-4-nav-points, kill-200-bugs missions like in SO.
4 - The fiction, while still not inside the game, comes with the game, is very well written and didn´t use that "casey-emails-spyder-who emails-stilleto-who replies to-maestro nonsense". (BTW, the Standoff and UE2 fiction will be accessible without leaving the game).
5 - The Kilrathi have a real role in UE.
6 - Flying the K´ha´haf.
7 - Just wonderful to see a Bengal, a Vesuvius, Kilrathi capships and all those old fighters in nice looking "modern" textures.
8 - The Cerberus has only 6 fighters. If it has more, they never show up. I know this is a common thing in WC, but it is unbelievable that the Cerberus almost single-handledly defeated a full-scale alien invasion. (Where is the "new and terrifying alien menace"?)

What do you think?

Well, since my participation on the making of UE was limited to a few models and textures (and someone decided to call me "lead modeller", go figure ;)), I guess my vote still counts :p

I agree with you, Starkey, specially on items 2 to 5... and most of all on item 3. SO had really, really, really repetitive missions, and WCP wasn't much better. IMO UE's missions are the best since WC4. Things like the K'ha'haf and the jamming buoy missions... so much better than the average WCP/SO mission.

--Eder

Originally posted by Starkey

8 - The Cerberus has only 6 fighters. If it has more, they never show up.

The Hades class carries 30 fighters. There were six pilots on the Cerberus.

Yep, they definitely had more than 6 fighters (more like 6 of each type)... still, Starkey's point remains valid: the Cerberus managed to defeat the "new and terrifying alien menace" with only 6 pilots (or 6 fighters at a time) to support it (not counting the occasional support from a destroyer or a cruiser or something).

--Eder

Maverick here
i agree with that u guys SO SUCKS and thats putting it lightly. i mean come on wheres the challange these guys are supposed to be even badder than the cats and i say the cats still fight better than these new aliens the Neiphlem I think and they should have done in SO what they did in WCP pick up pilots mid mission and the graphics GOD!!! what were they thinking!!!! UE has the best graphics hands down!!!!!!!

I mean sure i understand that she's a Quick Strike Assault Crusier and she also carries some advanced weapons but that doesnt mean that she cant carry a full complment of fighters

I mean shes supposed to be able to carry at most 30 and carrying only 6!!!! what IDOTS!!!!!!!

well guys this is all i have to say

Maverick out

yeah, that's right.
Maverick, you should probably register or something... just a thought.

ya sure i would but first i have to ask you a question

1. does it cost money to register

as for the Ceberus carrying 30 fighters i found the specs one day but i cant remember where and i saw her fighter payload limits which was 30 and ur telling me she carries only 6!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!

Cerberus only as 6 pilots, not 6 fighters. Re-read previous posts.

Registration is free, as everything else on this website.

Forums don't usually cost to register.
and there were 5 types of ships and 6 pilots
5*6=30

Originally posted by Unregistered
1. does it cost money to register

Hurry and register now while it´s free. In the beginning of April they were charging $20 a year.

ok first of all its one fighter per person so they have enough fighters to fit 6 ppl into each type

oh and i had no choice on this name guys its me Maverick

I enjoyed SO, the first time I played through it. But it's kind of like those adventure games Lucasarts puts out.

Once you beat the game, there's not a whole lot to go back too(unless it has a good story like Grim Fandango or Sam N Max)

SO's story was little more than a rehash of Prophecy, and not a really good one at that! Thankfully WCPedit got support for SO, and I had some fun use the Bugs' own weapons against them. Of course I could always raise the challenge of a mission by only using the Marine LC.:D
The things I love about UE is the music, most of the missions, and the challenge of the old ships. Using WC 1 & 2 era ships forced me to revert my strategy back to what I used in the earlier WCs. The ships were very well done.
The music was amazing too, especially considering there wasn't a professional composer on the job. And it was damn catchy to boot. I've caught myself humming its themes at odd times during the day.

For all its faults, I still think SO was a good thing. People are forgetting that they originally released it free.

Originally posted by Starkey
8 - The Cerberus has only 6 fighters. If it has more, they never show up. I know this is a common thing in WC, but it is unbelievable that the Cerberus almost single-handledly defeated a full-scale alien invasion. (Where is the "new and terrifying alien menace"?)

The Cerberus had only 6 pilots, not 6 fighters. They fly a variety of different fighters. And of all WC games SO may be the one where the main ship gets the most outside help.

Which is good, IMHO. It feels odd to be constantly operating almost independently all the time in other games - in Sol sector, of all places, there should be plenty of other Confed ships to work with, and there was.

hey guys
personally that main plasma gun on the Ceberus is alot weaker than that one that the Midway picked up so it wouldn't help much anyway against the CAP Ships well if they could get a little more creative with the weapons to be toe to toe with the Nephilem weapons

but even better for UE a capturing of an Nephilem fighter would be a nice twist don't you think???:D

Back