Toughest WC game?

Privateer could be the toughest depending on what you're flying.

Of course there is always that last SO1 mission, and the WC3 corvettes. But they're just another target once you get rid of that rear gun.

Originally posted by junior
Ugh...
Gwenhyvar. I think I ultimately ended up ejecting just to finish that mission (cheap, but it worked).
I was only able to finish it by doing afterburner runs on the Gwenhyvar itself, specifically not taking on the Rapiers.
Originally posted by Skyfire
I'd kind agree that the corvettes COULD be easy, depends on what ship I was in. In a T-bolt they weren't that bad, but if I was kickin' ass in my Arrow, they could be trouble.
Well, I actually think an Arrow was one of the few ships in which I could deal with Corvettes easily. You see, the only way I could get rid of Corvettes without damage was using autoslides.

The toughest games for me (given hardest settings on the later ones) had been:

WC4 how the heck do you win that one on Nightmare? One stray missile and you are gone. Only WC game that I play on Vet level.

WC Armada - yup - ever tried to win the single player, gauntlet part? Free mode is hard enough on the hardest setting, but hey I am good in the strategics. But the Gauntlet...

WC Academy - ditto. Beating the Gauntlet seems to be impossible.

next would be WC1, especially the Ralari mission and two SM missions (Gwenhyvar and the one against the Startpost again).

Easiest is without doubt WCSO closely followed by WC2. No bigger problems in either.

WC2 was pretty tough on quite a few missions. SO2 wasn't exactly a picnic either. The broadsword mission to get the datapod and take out a Ralatha was fairly hard, with your lone bomber vs 2 AMGs and 4 Sartha. That was one, also most of the Sabre missions were fairly tough because of that thing's non-existant armor/shields.

SO2 took me a WHILE to manage to time the 2 Fralhi mission to get them to waste each other with the AMGs ;).

Actually, I thought WCP was fairly easy.
Armada was quite nasty using the keyboard.

Nice to see someone else around here who is not a Sabre fan. It had nice offensive capabilities but those shields and armor always seemed to vanish. My I just sucked at flying the thing, but I never seemed to have that problem with most other craft.

I never really had a problem with the sabre. I loved it. It was one of my favorite ships in the game. Damn. Now i need to play WC2 again. Oh well.

Hey, I'm a HUGE Sabre Fan! You just can't beat the 8 torpedo custom loadout. That's insane ;). The Sabre would be the equivilent of the WC2 uber-craft if it had more armor/shields. The current WC2 uber-craft is that insane Wraith. (Acad.) But yup, Panther is really fun to fly, etc... like people have been saying...

I agree with Stiletto, the Sabre was the best fighter for WC2, save for that god damn Wraith. That was a little TOO good in Academy. The Reapers... the speed... the shields.... the leaches.... holy crap...............:eek:

Also, my verdict for the toughest WC experience; Wing Commander Armada. The Gauntlet was tough... so tough that I have only beaten it once to date... and probobaly never will again..... And also it had the little feature that makes it the greatest WC game to date, MULTIPLAYER. Flying against AI is a piece of cake when compared to flying against a real pilot, even somebody who's not terribly skilled.

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
.. And also it had the little feature that makes it the greatest WC game to date, MULTIPLAYER. ...

Do people regularly get together on the internet to play Armada? I remember its a Netbios game (should dig it out again), not sure how that would work, maybe netbios over ipx over Kali or something, been a while since I looked at that sorta stuff

I think you need Proving Grounds, iirc, for ipx network functionality. Then you can use Kali to play over the internet. I don't know of anyone who does, but there are a lot of things I don't know. I do know that Kali is in some sort of financial turmoil, so I'm not sure how long, or good, support will be any more. You can see some of the details here http://www.kali.net/ and here http://kali.ilangame.com/cgi-bin/yabb/yabb.pl

Do people regularly get together on the internet to play Armada? I remember its a Netbios game (should dig it out again), not sure how that would work, maybe netbios over ipx over Kali or something, been a while since I looked at that sorta stuff

I have been trying to get an online sort of thing going where people can get together in Armada for a while now... but alas I really don't have the know-how on any possible processes.... But I have several pilots who are with me on this, willing to support it.

THe first game. That first mission really gets on my tit. I always get hit by the asteroid. 2d bitmaps are a beach yep? :)

Uhm yeah... but with the "up&down" technique, afterburning in asteroid fields in Privateer is pretty easy... ;)

Sorry, did not get the sarcasm in Mekt's post... ;)
You have to admit though, that without the "up&down" tactic, they are some kind of a threat...

Back