To die or not to die?

Humungus

Spaceman
During normal skirmishes, it doesn't matter if the player dies or ejects. But during campaigns, it could play some role.
How should we do it?:
1) When a fighter is destroyed, the player's pilot always ejects
2) Whenever the player feels like he could get destroyed the current turn, he could say(declare) that he keeps his eyes on the ship state and if the fighter would be destroyed that turn, he would eject. Of course, because he has to watch the hull strenght he should get some penalties on rolls (-1 to -3 I guess)
3) When the fighter is destroyed, the pilot gets some probability that he will eject (could factor in, for example, current hull strenght and so on). He rolls more = gets to live another day, rolls less = bad luck

That's actually part of the - not yet published - campaign rules. A fighter pilot can always eject during movement phase without any penalty. If he stays in the cockpit and his fighter gets destroyed during combat or end phase, the player has to roll 2d12. The result determines if the pilot
- ejects successfully and unharmed,
- ejects successfully and gets injured,
- ejects successfully and gets mortally wounded or
- dies trying.
Injured and mortally wounded pilots are removed from active duty for a certain amount of time in campaigns.

Rolls become more difficult when a ship's ejection system is damaged, and impossible when it's completely destroyed.

The rules look fine to me but I hope that there's a relatively high chance of the pilot dying when using the random roll so that experienced pilots should really consider ejecting.

Here's something that occured to me yesterday:

In "End Run" we see Hunter die rather than eject to destroy a kilrathi fighter that was attacking Paladin's trader.

Should a ship that is hit and "destroyed" in a combat phase be able to make a choice to either attempt an ejection or take opportunity fire on an opponent?

Should a ship that is hit and "destroyed" in a combat phase be able to make a choice to either attempt an ejection or take opportunity fire on an opponent?
You can only choose to eject in movement phase, and I think Confed's fighters automatically eject their pilots when hull damage gets critical. Not too sure about it, though...

Well, there are two ways to go about looking at that.

In the games, there comes a point where you decide either to eject or not to. If you choose not to, you may not get another chance. It would sound to me like that's the choice (to or not to eject) during the movement phase.

That being said, End Run (and this time it really IS End Run) mentions that Confed fighters (of that period, anyway) have an auto-eject system that triggers when power is lost. Do with that what you will.

Back