This place alive?

U

Unregistered

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on modelling, or had a good site that I could read up at. I did my first foray into modelling yesterday, and although I don't think the results were terrible, I obviously don't have a lot of experience and don't know how to get lots of polys in the right places. I seem to waste a lot on flat surfaces when I let Wings3D tesselate for me, the following are two quick models I came up with. I know, the texturing job is laughable.. :) They're somewhat Wing Commanderish, but that wasn't really my intention.

How hard is it to cut the hull out for a fighter deck? Is it something that I need to do as I'm building the model, or is it feasible to do afterwards?

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

They're also around 900 polys as it is, with plenty wasted on the flat areas.. :\ I'll probably rebuild them from scratch before I try to add any detail to them, another problem I ran into was that when Wings3D tesselates for me, it tends to go "|\|\|\|" across the model instead of having say "|\|\|/|/|". Is there an easy way to cut the model in half and mirror itself? It makes one side look funny around some of angled areas of the hull, I manually fixed most of it.. but I imagine most people wouldn't spend half their time doing that.

Back